I am so on the fence with this product. It holds a curl - yes. Double yes. That was essentially the reason I bought it, and what I hoped it would do. I have short, straight lashes that don't hold a curl without waterproof mascara, which I despise trying to remove. And this base *holds* the curl. All day. However, there are several things about it that temper the great curling achievement:
1. It's hard to tell if you've got it on every lash, and whether you need to do more "comb thru" with the brush.
2. It dries quite quickly (and I believe you're *supposed* to let it dry before putting on mascara which means you have to work pretty fast and ensure you take care of getting your lashes separated, and coated (in fact I tend to push more product into the base of my lashes as opposed to the ends to try to temper any clumping that might be happening)).
3. Not much volume, but some length. *This again isn't what I bought the product for, but it would still be nice to look like Bambi, for the price.
4. Whatever mascara I put on top of it clumps due to the mascara base not coating evenly and drying my lashes together, ie. flecks on the ends of lashes where the tips are stuck together and/or bent funny. And they don't comb out. V. frustrating.
5. I'm actually finding it a little hard to remove. Sometimes there is still some product on my lashes the next day after removing that make starting the whole process over again a little difficult.
I tried the Lancôme Cils Booster and it was leaps and bounds above Shiseido's base in terms of volume & length. And the first time I used it, it held the curl just as well so I was about to switch. But I noticed ol' droopy curl had returned on the second day with Cils Booster (what changed? why? WHY?? etc.) So I returned it and used the Shiseido again. I'm wondering if I should try using it wet instead of letting it dry before putting mascara on top....but most reviewers have said using it wet causes curl droop so then what's the point?
Will keep trying with it and edit if anything changes. In the meantime, I've said I would repurchase, only because I haven't found anything better!
UPDATE: I realized that it was actually my LIQUID LINER that was gooping up my eyelashes, sticking them together, and being hard to remove. NOT this mascara base. Once I switched back to pencil/powder for lining, this base became AH-MAZING and I will never be without it again if I can help it!