Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream For Face and Body

Shiseido  Urban Environment UV Protection Cream For Face and Body
Urban Environment UV Protection Cream For Face and Body

3.3

Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream SPF 35 Active Ingredients:Octinoxate 4.9%, Octocrylene 3.0%, Zinc Oxide 6.7%Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Cyclomethicone, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Glycerin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Xylitol, Methyl Gluceth-10, PEG/PPG-14/7 Dimethyl Ether, Thiotaurine, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Arginine HCI, Ononis Spinosa Root Extract, Ectoin, Sodium PCA, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Benzophenone-3, Isostearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane,Trisodium EDTA, Silica, Polybutylene Glycol/PPG-9/1 Copolymer, BHT, Syzygium Jambos Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This product works best on fair skin, or anyone who desires to create a more porcelain appearance. It definitely has a brightening cast that would not be complementary to tan or darker skin tones. Because of its creamy consistency, it's not the best option for an oilier skin type. Dry and normal would be best, and maybe combination skin in the winter months. I am a combination skin and love the formula. I don't get much oil breakthrough that can't be remedied with a light tissue blot. The formula includes zinc oxide, and I won't go into the wonderful benefits of it here, please google it, but it's one of the reasons I stay with this product. It doesn't burn my eyes like many sunscreens do and I love that I don't have to use a separate priming product when I use this. I don't have any issues with my foundations moving or disappearing when this is underneath. I have used both Urban Environment formulations through the years and this is my favorite because of the moisture. The light lotion formulation is nice, but easily duped at a cheaper price point with La Roche Posay.
I hate to feel the tightness and pulling that seem to follow with an application of sunscreen to the face. With the cream formula, my skin does not pull tight and remains supple and comfortable all day long. I only wish the spf was 40 or more.

on 10/28/2016 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I've tried both Shiseido urban enviroment sunscreens (this cream and the liquid oil-free one) and I prefer the latter because of the lightweight consistency. This cream is thicker and also acts as a makeup primer, but it's tough to blend and leaves a bit of a white cast. The scent is the same in both versions, possibly slightly stronger in this cream version due to the thicker consistency. If you have dry skin or if you're looking for a fall/winter facial sunscreen, this might be emollient enough for you, but I prefer the oil-free version.

on 5/27/2014 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Have this in spf35 and spf50 version. Spf 50 is really greasy but the spf 35 version has quite a matte finish, leaves a bit of white cast but it's ok because i put foundation on afterwards. Overall, i won't repurchase these sunscreens, there are better products in term of finish out there.

on 12/3/2015 8:00:00 PM

I usually use runnier sunscreens like the Clarins UV Plus, or the other Shiseido UV Protection oil-free (face) sunscreen. In fact, I thought I was repurchasing the other Shiseido sunscreen when I bought this one. I bought it as a backup so I didn't realize until months later that I had picked up the wrong one and it was too late to exchange it so I held my breath and gave it a try.

I am sensitive to sunscreens (reactions, clogged pores), and I have a tendency to get oily (which is why I loved the other version). I started using it in November when it is starting to get cold so I actually ended up really liking this. This version is more moisturizing than the other version (which, btw, is very good at keeping your face matte all day) but it is not greasy even though the texture is much thicker and creamier. I've worn it for 12 hours and my face is only starting to get a little tacky in the oil-prone areas. Not sure if this will be the case in humid summer weather, but for the winter this is a great option. The texture is a bit thick so you need to rub it in but it does leave a little bit of a white cast. It wears well under makeup, it is scented but does not have that strong sunscreen smell. It comes in a compact tube so its great for travel. Its a bit on the pricy side but I think its worth the money. Most importantly, I did not get any breakouts when using this!! I would definitely repurchase!

on 4/17/2015 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this in SPF 30 out of desperation during a very sunny Easter in Greece where my skin went completely berserk for the second time in a year - it was only when I washed my face one night and got this awful sting that I realise my skin was actuallyreacting to the sun (I also had tiny spots everywhere at the same time, like a heat rash or something), and from my very bad habit of not wearing suncream when I am somewhere more sunny than London (well, even in London actually I should be wearing suncream, but don't ask...)
I went for Shiseido because I've been using their sun makeup and I am very impressed (in fact, in Greece their sun makeup is very popular...) and because I've read a lot of very good reviews for their suncreams.
It's the only suncream I have that does not leave a white mask at all, I could not believe it! It claims to be oil free I think (though this is not the legendary oil free version as it doesn't seem to come to Europe for some reason), but frankly, it's a bit on the oily side for my skin (which is super-oily) so I tend to use it when the sun is a bit more intense in the city, or when I am out and about and I don't care about how I look.
For an SPF30 is actually very good (usually they are way more greasy than this) so yes, I think I will buy this again once it's over - Clinique's city block is another favourite, though it too leaves a bit of a white mask...

This stuff is an utter disappointment. I was psyched to try it because I have always had issue with finding daily lotions with sunscreen that don't make my sensitive skin red and that do hydrate somewhat. I was hoping this would solve both problems - and I was also excited because this is supposed to block more than just UV.

All I can say is WHITE FACEPAINT. This cream did not rub in well at all, and left the worst white cast I have ever seen from sunscreen (literally Walmart body sunscreen blends better). It felt thick and uncomfortable, and I had to rub it in so much it accentuated my dry spots.

I'd like to hope that it was just not conducive to my face type (dry-combination), but I let my husband use it on his combination/oily skin and it looked even worse... literally white face paint regardless of how we rubbed it in.

Worse yet, I have a sample of the Urban Environment lotion as well (hoping that the thinner consistency would mean less grossness) and the result was just as bad..

Terrible product. I am shocked.

on 10/22/2013 6:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Love this product! Its not a thick sticky consistency like lots of sunscreens and absorbs into your skin well and does not leave a white cast. I have normal/dry skin so I find this nice and hydrating as well. If you have oily skin maybe you should avoid but not sure why this nice cream is getting such bad reviews.

on 12/5/2013 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was recommended this product by my friend at the Shiseido / Cle de peau counter and it really acts like a tinted moisturizer but has build able coverage. On top of that the SPF 42 is great for days when the sun hits hard. It's very similar to Jouer's moisture tint, but the color is perfect and matches the original formulation of diorsnow bb creme (I wish they stuck with one color!). I use this with my NARS light reflecting loose setting powder. Can't beat the price.

on 9/12/2013 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This sunscreen leaves an oily film on top of the skin that never gets absorbed, not good for combo or oily skins.

This review is on the Urban Environment UV Protection Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 for face/body. On the box it states that is is water resistant (40 minutes). The active sunscreen ingredients are octinoxate 2.9%, octocrylene 3.0%, and zinc oxide 10.6%. It's a mix of chemical and physical sunscreen ingredients. I liked the fact that there's no oxybenzone. Look up oxybenzone. This product should not be found in any sunscreen products per the EWG.
I was very hopeful for this product to work because I have combo-sometimes oily skin. I have not yet found a sunscreen product that does not cause me to look oily. Good news, I have found that this product does that for about 4 hours before my oil will emerge. Also, it is white and creamy but blends in pretty good. It leaves a matte finish. I know Shiseido markets one specifically for the face and labeled it oil-free (smaller product for the price than this one; this is a better deal). This one for the face and body is not marketed or labeled as oil-free, but I could not find an oil ingredient on the long list of ingredients. So my assumption was that this was oil-free as well. The product felt drying. I did not use a moisturizer due to my oily skin (plus it states on the box that this "Contains moisturizing amino acids...Provides long lasting moisture for skin that is smooth to the touch...Can be used as a makeup base for a beautiful foundation finish"). Those with normal or dry skin will need a separate moisturizer. It also states on the box that this "Easily removes with daily cleanser." I found this difficult to remove and had to wash my face at least twice, and there was still residue. It might be best to use an oil-based cleanser with this.
Here's the bad, it has a very strong scent. Some people might not like this. All in all, I was using this product on my face for about a week and a half in conjunction with another sunscreen product that I used on my neck. I was trying to use this primarily for the face because it's so expensive, and my neck doesn't need to look matte. Towards the end, I did experiment on my neck. I am sad to say that I broke out in a rash on my neck. I wasn't sure if it was this product or just heat rash from the summer. I stopped use of everything on my neck for a few days to clear it up. When I tried to use this on my neck again, I broke out in another rash. It was clear to me I was somehow allergic to the ingredients on my neck, but my face never had a rash. I wonder if it's due to the fact that I exfoliate and use toner on my face?? But I was scared of it so I stopped usage altogether. I was so gungho about this product but am sad now. I hope it works for you. Good luck.