E.L.F. Studio Makeup Mist & Set Spray

3.7

Water (Aqua), AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Green Tea (Camelia Sinensis) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vc), Tocophryl Acetate (Ve) Retinyl Acytate (Va), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This makes my make up last long, sprays nicely and has a great price! I will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

For the price, it really doesn't hurt to give this spray a try. I think the formula itself is pretty good and will set your makeup. I haven't noticed any huge differences between using and not using this product, but I do think having it on is better than not having used a spray at all. The only reason why I won't be repurchasing is because the spray is awful and makes it feel like I'm being rained on.

[1]

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was skeptical about this product given the mixed reviews on this site but this was rated 9.5/10 on an internet magazine article compared to more expensive sprays, so I rushed out to buy this. I love this spray because it actually works. I spray this in the morning and my foundation is intact when I get home from work. I can tell the most in pictures. I was worried about breaking out because I have sensitive skin but I have been using this for a week and no break ups. I prefer setting spray as opposed to touching up with powder midday. Love this!! The other reviews about the mist being too heavy is true. I would recommend holding this far from your face, and walking into the mist. Or transferring it to a different bottle with a finer mist.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I will give the least calification posible because I used it just once, but that was enough to get a horrible breakout in my whole face. I never had pimples in my cheeks neither in my forehead but sadly now I have. Besides, the mister is awful.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Price:
$3.00 for 2 oz. ; $6.00 for 4.1 oz.

I'm giving this 5 lippies because I think the product is good and does what it is intended to do with no irritation to my face, no noticeable, lingering, fragrance and no stickiness. I will express my dislike of the product's mister and only give it 2 lippies for packaging. Come on E.L.F. it's not that difficult to make a better mister but the price is so good I feel kind of bad griping about the mister because it's not terrible, it just needs to be finer and more consistent.

This review is for the regular, I have not tried the Matte Magic Mist & Set.

This setting spray is not bad for the price. Is it the best I have ever used? No... but the ingredients are decent and it does set my makeup, makes it last longer and takes away the powdery look which I really dislike. I prefer a more dewy finish.

I have purchased several bottles of this and the sprayers seem to be hit or miss. Some seem to be worse than others but none are great. These are so cheap that I always keep a few on hand to use to spray my brushes to apply shadow to the lid, usually shimmers that I want to stay exactly in that one place on the lid and not migrate up toward the crease colors and it works fabulously. My shadow doesn't budge all day long. I detect almost no fragrance and what little there is dissipates almost immediately. I don't mind some pleasant light fragrance in a setting spray. I love the smell of Milani's and Flower Cosmetic's Seal the Deal sprays(Flower's mister is excellent, Milani's sprayer is not bad not great, hit or miss but I love the product).

I buy 2 of the large size E.L.F. for $12.00 and I put them into my empty Skindinavia setting spray bottle which has a really nice sprayer and I saved myself about 50% and have 8.2 ounces for $12.00, less if I catch it during an E.L.F. sale. During December they had 50% off everything so I stocked up, which gave me 8.2 oz. for $6.00.

I have no problem spending money for high end items but I honestly think there are many setting sprays, high end and drugstore, that are all just about the same. I prefer to spend my money on high end items that have no other similar products like them that are far less money. I don't care if my setting spray doesn't have a high end name on it. I think many drugstore setting sprays get a bad review/rating because of the sprayer, not the product itself. It's not that difficult to just put a good, inexpensive product into the empty setting bottle that has a mister you prefer. Speaking of misters..... One high end(not sure why it is...ugh), ...that I really did not like was Cover FX Illuminating. I was not prepared to have globs of liquid glitter on my face and to have to shake it up super well like a can of spray paint...( avoid unless you love glitter on your face. It might be good for New Years Eve or Mardis Gras, but for every day, not for me!). I hardly ever return things, but that one I did.

Description from the website:

4.1 ounce-Our best-seller is now 2x the size! This skin nourishing Makeup Mist & Set Spray is designed to hold your makeup in place, extend its staying power and revitalize makeup color. This formula contains aloe, green tea, cucumber, and vitamins A, C, and E to soothe and hydrate the skin.

2ounce-The ultimate must-have, the Makeup Mist & Set Spray is designed to hold your face and eye makeup in place all day and to revitalize makeup color with just a few sprays. The formula contains aloe, green tea, cucumber, and vitamins A, C, and E to soothe and hydrate the skin. Spray on your brush or sponge prior to makeup application for extended hold and vibrant color.

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), AMP-acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Retinyl Palmitate (Va) Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vc), Green Tea Extract,Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Aloe Arborescens Leaf Extract, Methylparaben,Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Phenoxyethanol

So, this looked pretty scary first time out of the bottle. My face was looking fine (for a dry face) and then BOOM, texture, what the everloving? But I dabbed with my powder brush over the places that were unsettling me and they slipped back into place. I prefer a setting spray that won't disturb my layers -- I may have to look at the next level up in terms of cash money, once I run out of this. But for what it is, it's pretty decent.

I have tried the UD All Nighter spray before and a few drugstore setting sprays (NYX, Essence..). I have never noticed a difference in longevity. Yes, they all made me look less powdery, but I think that's kind of...normal?
However, with the ELF setting spray I do notice that my make up holds up quite a bit longer and is almost glued to my face. I'm really impressed, especially since it's 3$ per bottle.
I always spray quite a bit on, but I do that with other setting sprays as well and never noticed a difference.
The packaging is kind of cheap, but it's also a cheap product, so you can't really complain. The mist is strong and not very diffused so I'd recommend to either spray it from faaaar or to just pour the product into another spray bottle you like better. :)
The smell is not amazing but personally, I don't think it's the worst ever. And it disappears pretty quickly.

I would definitely recommend this setting spray. By the way, I'm talking about the "standard" version - I know they have added a matte version recently. I'm gonna have to try that out, too :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

As another reviewer mentioned before- this actually does help with the longevity of your makeup BUT you do have to use quite a bit of product. I will spray a layer, let it dry, and then do it again 1-2 more times after that. And because it is only $3 I really don't mind using so much product, I just buy them in bulk! Plus the great thing about this spray is that it doesn't have alcohol or other skin irritating ingredients that other setting sprays feel inclined to include for some odd reason. For $3 I say give it a try, you don't have anything to lose!

It has a very chemically stink to it and it sprays on terrible. It's like dumping straight up water on your face. My air fresher has a better mist than this. It's okay for the price. I feel bad wasting money, so I just spray my brushes with it before using eye shadow but that's about the only time I use it. It doesn't do any setting, but it does make your make-up look a little less powdery but even spraying water on your face would probably do the same thing.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This does basically nothing. I don't notice it making my makeup last longer. Personally, I don't even notice it making my makeup look much less powdery. It just ... does nothing. It's like water. I guess it does refresh my face a little bit? The spray bottle isn't very good though. I will not be repurchasing.

EDIT: After some more testing, I am changing my review from 2 to 4 stars. It turns out that this does help with making makeup stay on -- you just have to spray a LOT on. I basically sprayed my entire face with this until it was dripping wet, and then let it dry. When I did that, my makeup really did 'set' onto my face. Even my bullet lipstick became almost transfer proof. It uses up a lot of product, but this setting spray is pretty cheap, so I don't really mind. Overall, not a bad product, actually.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools