Stila color wheel eyeshadow palette

Stila color wheel eyeshadow palette
Violet Eye from Stila Color Wheel look bookSome swatches from the Stila Color WheelMore swatches from Stila Color Wheel

3.7

on 1/26/2011 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I usually purchase eye shadows in neutral tones but I wanted to branch a bit. I liked this palette in the store because it has a wide variety of colors but they are all still muted. I have very pale skin so I thought the muted tones would be easy to play with. The colors are gorgeous in the pans but they dont translate onto skin. I swatched several of the colors when I got home and the color pay-off was horrible. Being as pale as I am, I have never had a complaint on pigmentation with any previous eye shadows. I ended up returning this and buying a couple of the NYX 10 pan palettes instead. I am much happier with the NYX.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

i find myself disappointed in this palette, which is sad. stila always has these super soft, creamy, almost buttery eyeshadows that are a dream to apply. these, on the otherhand, are stuff & somewhat chalky. you get a nice amount of colours, so it is beneficial to have in the aspect. but in general, this palette just didn't wow me at all.

on 12/31/2010 12:36:00 PM

So I read all the other comments and I have to disagree a little. I was excited when I saw this because it is a great taste in different colors. And I am a huge fan of Stila because they aren't as over the top as Mac but they still use bright colors. I was a little disappointed in look book that came with it. It showed you these great looks and when you try to achieve them it looks nothing like what they show. Also they don't recommend what type of primmer to use. I normally use Mac's concealer but even applying the eyeshadows over top of that they didnt turn out vibrant and bright at all, they turned out very dull and almost compared to something I would expect a younger girl starting off wearing. What I ended up doing was applying my concealer and then applying a paint pot color, very close to my skin tone color, and then applying the eye shadows. You have to really apply the colors in at least 2 layers to get the color shown in the palette. The other thing that I recommend is if your going to use these colors wet they will crease... so try not to use them wet near your crease.

Overall I would not recommend this palette to anyone who is looking to achieve dramatic looks or any look that isnt light looking. I also used all Stila brushes and the colors didn't go on nearly as good as when I used my Mac brushes.

on 5/16/2011 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the Stila Colour wheel as I'm really tempted with the colour range and it's offer at cheap prices (with quite big packaging and colour ranges) . I'm quite disappointed with this product. The colour of the eyeshadow not pigmented enough, if you're not using any eyeshadow base or primer, some of the colours will look almost the same. Also the colour tend to fade away at the end of the day.

on 5/1/2011 4:20:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I received this palette as a Christmas gift, and honestly I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. I'm not a huge fan on Stila's eyeshadows in the first place but when I received it I received it with an open mind. First gripe is the size, which for me is too big and cumbersome. I would have preferred it smaller, to me my coastal scents 88 palette was a little too big for my taste and this palette is bigger than that! The brushes included are awful but it didn't really matter to me since I rarely use brushes included with products anyway. Now the shadows themselves vary, a lot of them are really powdery , chalky and cause a lot of fall out however there are some that are nice. But the inconsistency to me is a big turn off because it makes too many of the shadows difficult to work with. Also the pigmentation is nothin likening they appear in the look book, even with a primer and even If they are foiled. Talk about false advertising. I recently tried doing the pink look and I found the darker and middle pink (which caused a lot of fall out) just blended together but in a blah way not the way u want them to blend. In the book, each color is blended but u can see their presence, in real life it just wasn't that nice. These shadows are just very weak, even the black which looks more greenish black to me is just so chalky and lacking color. -____- I would not recommend this or repurchase. U can get an 88 palette for around the same price with more colors and better color pay off. If i hadn't received this as a gift i would've returned it. -__-

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was excited to have a rainbow palette made by a company as esteemed as Stila. Since I'd paid full price for my only other Stila shadow (kitten pan, of course) and LOVE it, I thought it would be amazing to try this many of their other shades at such a great price. I was disappointed, however, in how not-so-fab these shadows are for me. Even layering with Urban Decay primer, the lighter shades like the yellows and golds didn't show up on my skin. They tend to rub off by the end of the day and are kind of whispery-light, lacking in the deep pigmentation I'd hoped to play around with. I will keep trying as I don't have zillions of eye shadow shades and it's nice to experiment with new looks, even if they're a little subpar. Oh, and I have had no success with using them wet...they don't get creamy, just kind of shiny and then don't adhere to the brush (don't use the brushes they come with, they're kind of shabby).

on 2/1/2011 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This product wasn't what I expected, but it has turned out to be my favorite palette in modern memory.

I thought the palette would be smaller - say, 4"x4", not 8"x8". I bought it for my gym locker in which it does not fit well because of the enormous size. On day 1, I busted the palette's hinge when it tumbled out of my locker.

But.. there were lovely surprises about the palette. I expected to use the colors freehand, but trying the looks in the book has been fun. So far every look has really complimented my brown eyes in a way that is slightly different than I would come up with on my own.

Some complain that the colors are unpigmented, but I think they are the perfect pigmentation for me - I am fair and use before heading back to work in an office on my lunch break. I love how the whole range of colors - including teal - can be worn back to the office, which would not be the case if the shadows were much more pigmented. The book instructs one to use a wet brush for more pigmentation and that has certainly worked for me. I don't have eyeshadow primer at the gym and the colors stay really well into the evening.

I think this is a great value for those of you who aren't going for a shocking look.

This was my very first Stila eyeshadow purchase, and I'm glad I gave them a try! The eyeshadows are not quite as pigmented as some others I've tried, but I have gotten so many compliments wearing some of the color combinations in this set. My absolute favorite is the teal. I uploaded some pictures of swatches from this set, and as you can see, they are pigmented enough. I didn't put an eye primer with those either so they would be much darker with a primer or even if you used a wet brush. This palette is pretty large - I believe about 8 inches on each sides. The only thing that would make this better would be if the brushes were not so bad. Seriously, the brushes are like kid sized and of poor quality - but really, who cares? Get this if you're new to make-up, or even if you're not. This gives you great color combination, a pretty good color pay off and pigmentation, and a little "look book" to show you how to use each eye shadow!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As far as eyeshadows go I'm a stila fan. When buying single pallets I tend to buy in the same color family. This seemed like a good opportunity to experiment with different colors so I don't mind that some of the colors are in small quantities. I used just about every color in the pallet now and I have to tell you the color payoff is great. All the colors are very wearable, even the brighter ones. They are not as bright as they look in the pallet. I don't have a problem with fallout with stila products. I always tap my brush into the pallets and tap onto the eyelid. I find you get the most concentrated color when applied this way. The packaging is nice and the pallet itself is a nice size. It is not transportable though, which is okay with me. I use a primer so the color lasts literally all day. That is what I really love about stila eyeshadows. The price of this pallet is very affordable given all the colors you get. I'd love to see a lip pallet llike this. One last thing, these shadows are great when foiled too.

on 3/17/2012 10:05:00 AM

I'm late on reviewing this palette coz I didn't plan to buy it while it's hot and expensive. I always wait for sales since I have too much makeup and nothing about this palette was a must-have for me when it came out. I got lucky to find a seller online who sold it for $20, shipping included. The packaging could have been smaller for travelling, but the design is really awesome. Though I'm not a fan of the shiny black, scratch & fingerprint prone plastic case for this. It can really look dirty and messy once you start playing with the shadows. For the eyeshadows, the colors are soft in finish, satiny feel and surprisingly pigmented on my lids over ELF Primer. I agree with the reviews that this palette would be perfect for young and beginners on makeup, BUT it's also very usable for women like me who would like the soft look. I can build-up the colors and I love how blendable they are. Using dense brush will make the colors show more. Overall, I like it and I didn't regret including it in my collection.