Stila color wheel eyeshadow palette

Filtered by age: 30-35
Stila color wheel eyeshadow palette
Violet Eye from Stila Color Wheel look bookSome swatches from the Stila Color WheelMore swatches from Stila Color Wheel

3.7

on 3/17/2012 10:05:00 AM

I'm late on reviewing this palette coz I didn't plan to buy it while it's hot and expensive. I always wait for sales since I have too much makeup and nothing about this palette was a must-have for me when it came out. I got lucky to find a seller online who sold it for $20, shipping included. The packaging could have been smaller for travelling, but the design is really awesome. Though I'm not a fan of the shiny black, scratch & fingerprint prone plastic case for this. It can really look dirty and messy once you start playing with the shadows. For the eyeshadows, the colors are soft in finish, satiny feel and surprisingly pigmented on my lids over ELF Primer. I agree with the reviews that this palette would be perfect for young and beginners on makeup, BUT it's also very usable for women like me who would like the soft look. I can build-up the colors and I love how blendable they are. Using dense brush will make the colors show more. Overall, I like it and I didn't regret including it in my collection.

on 2/1/2011 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This product wasn't what I expected, but it has turned out to be my favorite palette in modern memory.

I thought the palette would be smaller - say, 4"x4", not 8"x8". I bought it for my gym locker in which it does not fit well because of the enormous size. On day 1, I busted the palette's hinge when it tumbled out of my locker.

But.. there were lovely surprises about the palette. I expected to use the colors freehand, but trying the looks in the book has been fun. So far every look has really complimented my brown eyes in a way that is slightly different than I would come up with on my own.

Some complain that the colors are unpigmented, but I think they are the perfect pigmentation for me - I am fair and use before heading back to work in an office on my lunch break. I love how the whole range of colors - including teal - can be worn back to the office, which would not be the case if the shadows were much more pigmented. The book instructs one to use a wet brush for more pigmentation and that has certainly worked for me. I don't have eyeshadow primer at the gym and the colors stay really well into the evening.

I think this is a great value for those of you who aren't going for a shocking look.

on 1/26/2011 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I usually purchase eye shadows in neutral tones but I wanted to branch a bit. I liked this palette in the store because it has a wide variety of colors but they are all still muted. I have very pale skin so I thought the muted tones would be easy to play with. The colors are gorgeous in the pans but they dont translate onto skin. I swatched several of the colors when I got home and the color pay-off was horrible. Being as pale as I am, I have never had a complaint on pigmentation with any previous eye shadows. I ended up returning this and buying a couple of the NYX 10 pan palettes instead. I am much happier with the NYX.