E.L.F. e.l.f. Studio 11 Piece Brush Collection

E.L.F. e.l.f. Studio 11 Piece Brush Collection
e.l.f. Studio 11 Piece Brush Collection

on 8/19/2016 7:54:00 AM

I must have got a faulty set because nearly every brush has become defective within the first few months and I know that there are some good reviews of these brushes elsewhere.

I bought them because I am a vegan and I like cruelty-free brushes.

The case is fine. I am happy with that and I'll put my other vegan brushes in it from a different brand.

However, it started with the foundation brush and the fan brush. The top part with the brush
has separated from the handle.

The shadow brushes and the concealer brush bristles have 'disappeared' down into the brush top opening. I have pulled them 'up' again but they slip back down again when I use the brushes. It's like waiting for a tortoise to come out of its shell! The rest of the brushes just shed all the time.

I have complained to e.l.f. who have confirmed that the brushes are out of their 90 day return/refund period, which oddly matches the fact that some of the brushes just about made it to 90 days!

Not a good purchase. I should have complained earlier but wanted to give it a chance - a silly error on my part.

on 5/10/2016 11:25:00 PM

Bought them because they're extremely cheap BUT they don't pick up product well. When I pick up any eyeshadow with an ELF brush, I have to densely pack the eyeshadow. I shouldn't have to do that but for the price that you're paying, they're alright.

To Read all 85 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/7/2015 1:11:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this set on sale for $3.00! They're pretty good brushes. Perfect for anyone starting a makeup brush collection. Wait to buy them on sale. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Have had them for 4 years, holding up very well. I use every single one of these brushes except 1.

Face brushes:
Flat top powder brush: cult favorite, great for foundation
Blush brush: contouring! Handle has come loose
Complexion: all over powder (Studio Fix, Hourglass Ambient powder)
Fan: Highlighters which are overly pigmented otherwise (Mary Loumanizer)
Foundation (paint brush style): patting motion to blend concealer
Concealer brush: don't use, too small

Eye brushes: won't go into detail because I use them all for their intended purposes. Precision brush used for eyebrow wax, lipstick. Liner brush splayed after 4 years.

BUT: At $30, you're paying $2.70 for 11 brushes (excluding case), assuming you use every single one. Their individual price is $3 so if there is even 1 brush that you don't use, it's not a better value. Get the set when half off.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Really nice set of brushes for the price. There are a few I haven't really gotten around to using yet, but I really like all of the big brushes and the small smudge brush is my go to!

on 12/11/2014 9:10:00 PM

Oh, if you find this grab it!!! I found it browsing at Winner's and I held on to it.

I absolutely LOVE the blush brush! It's the most amazing thing to apply highlighter, set concealer..it's a very good size. I don't use blush because my cheeks are ridiculously pink at the apples, so I can't comment on its use with blush.

The bristles are extremely soft! Much much much softer than many higher end brushes!

Besides the blush brush with which I am obsessed, the powder blush (not the flat one) is amazing too. It's not very big like the Real Techniques one, but if you use it to tap powder it's very good, and just as soft as the blush brush. The flat powder brush, is not as soft, it's stiffer but I guess for the way it's supposed to be used that's how it should be.

All the eye brushes are great. The pencil brush is really good for the crease and it packs on a lot of color. The other eyeshadow brushes don't pick up a lot of product (i.e., like mac 242/239) but they are soooo soft! Definitely awesome for their price.

I use the flat angled foundation brush for contouring, although I don't like the plastick-y feeling of the bristles.

The smaller eyeliner/eye smudge ones are really good as well; they are pretty small and thus you can really blend color at the lower lashline. The angled eyeliner makes cat eyeliner a breeze --for everyday, not a dramatic cat eye.

I don't care for the fan brash, I have others that are much better this seems poor in the amount of bristles.

Needless to say...it's an amazing set! grab it! I wish they had two more brushes in the set (the small stippling and the highlighting brush) but they're cheap enough to buy separately (if you find them).

on 3/17/2014 2:05:00 PM

Update: 12/15/15
My set is now a just about two years old, which is truly impressing me. I have added some comments into my original review, because this is becoming epic-like in length.

Original Review: 3/14/14

I had been eyeing these forever, and I ended up getting these through Groupon with a palette & free S&H for $20 so that I could get the free shipping without buying a billion products on ELF's site. (I did not get the carrying case that comes with them if you buy them through ELF's site.)

I use these daily, and have figured out how to incorporate pretty much everything into a full-face routine except 2-3 brushes.

In general, I think the quality of all of these is just great. Whether you get them via Groupon or from ELF's site with a sweet deal, its about $15-30 for eleven soft and sturdy brushes. I have had them for about 5 months now, and I wash them about twice a month. Nothing has shed yet!

I want to review all of the brushes, but this is going to be crazy long, so I'm going to categorize and highlight (teehee) by my favorites, least favorites, and undecided. I also have a few brushes that I added to this kit, which I think are pretty great additions, so I will discuss those last. Let's go! (Grab some coffee too...)

Least favorite:
Flat Foundation brush: I feel like this is a brush I can eventually love, once I master how to use it on my face. I used it for liquid foundation. I found that while it is a dense brush, it is not big enough to blend my foundation out smoothly. (See below for additional info)

C-Eyeshadow Brush: I know this is almost a cult favorite, so this is going to be an unpopular opinion. I do like that this brush is wonderfully soft and dense; it seems ideally perfect for packing on shadow and blending it out... BUT it is big. I have hooded eyes, so its just too dang big for me. (Edit 12/2015: I have accepted that my opinion is unpopular but is real and personal. I gave up trying to go with the flow, and I use this to set my undereye concealer with powder.)

Fan Brush: I am no master at detailed face products, and people have been saying that this brush is great for highlighter. I don't own highlighter; I'm not sure how else to use this brush, so to be honest, I haven't. I don't have much to say about this brush other than its soft and comes with a nice plastic protector to keep its shape. (Edit 12/2015: I ended up getting rid of the fan brush, simply because it never got used. I did use it for highlighter, and it gave me a nice light application.)

Complexion Brush: This is a pretty big brush. I feel like it might be too big for applying product for me, but might eventually serve as a good blending brush. As of right now, I'm just not sure what to do with it. (Edit 12/2015: I have gotten a hang of the powder brush! It's great for warming up my face with bronzer and giving a light dusting of powder to set my foundation.)

Precision Brush: Ironically the other small brushes are very precise about what purpose they are meant for, except this one. I wasn't sure what to do with this one either. I have using it to blend lipliner and lipstick which works fine.

Standout Favorites: I use most of these everyday. (I have done/will do individual reviews on these!)
Powder Brush (Edit 12/2015: After 2 years/730 days of use, the handle on my original one from the set started to come loose. I replaced it, and am ready for another 730 days of use.)
Blush Brush
Angled Eyeliner Brush
Contour Brush
Smudge Brush

Additions-I think these make this set even more complete: I have these brushes from Elf's studio line.
Eyelash/brow comb- handy to have around; I use it with ELF's clear brow gel.
Angled blush brush-nice for contouring, or getting a more precise blush application
Round foundation brush-I think this is better than the flat brush for blending out foundation since it's larger. (12/2015 edit: I never did learn to love the flat foundation brush, and the elf round foundation brush ended up shedding on me a lot. Try the Target Up & Up Complexion Brush. It's super soft & dense, and holds up to being washed.)
Angled Eyeliner brush- Super handy for cream eyeliner, but also for those gel or liquid eyeliners with a good formulation but a bad applicator

on 2/28/2014 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Got them as a gift. I love them, and use some for multi-purposing.

on 2/24/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

These brushes are literally a steal for the price, not to mention that the brushes from the Studio line are AMAZING. They're soft, apply makeup well, are easy to clean and never shed for me. You will never need any other brushes.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

E.L.F. Studio Brushes are my absolute favorite. They work as well as any other brush and they're super inexpensive.

I use them every day and plan to continue buying them... forever.

Popular Makeup Brushes