Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritants), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant),Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritants), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (antioxidants), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant), Lamium Album (White Nettle) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm) Bark Extract (anti-irritants), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant) Propylene Glycol (solvent), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative). 6/23/11

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I would like to give this a good review but I can't. It probably works as a great exfoliant for people who can tolerate such an aggressive treatment. After using this 3 times my skin was dehydrated like I never seen it before (it would form lots of dehydration lines if I purposely frowned or smiled), it looked very thin and fragile. I always had really good skin and very young looking for my age. My only problem is congestion I can get from using the wrong products and the dreaded hormonal acne on my chin that comes and goes in a cyclic fashion (to which admittedly I still haven't found a solution that works completely) .

I thought maybe this product would perfect my skin (which was a bit congested) and prevent my chin hormonal acne. However, it was too much. My skin is less congested but my pores look bigger and my skin looks worse. I look older and my skin looks less healthy. Honestly, it made me scared of using AHAs, especially this AHA, glycolic acid. I know my skin will get back to normal (it's been a week and a half since I stopped using this and my skin is definitely getting better) but still.

Paula's Choice team is so quick to condemn other brand's marketing strategies but what about theirs? Is it any better? Paula's Choice recommends all sorts of exfoliation on a regular basis (even for sensitive skin they recommend daily 1% salicylic acid). Also, this product is a weekly treatment but they advocate its use along with daily AHA!

I know many older ladies who have gorgeous skin (better than mine because they don't get spots on their chin!) and have never used an AHA or BHA. All of the sudden we are told that the only way to have great skin is to throw all sorts of AHAs at it. Paula's Choice is not alone in this, though. Many other brands, skin care 'gurus' and bloggers will recommend over exfoliation. Yes, to me it is over exfoliation.

What is even more concerning is that we are told we need to use lots of acids, some of which cause sun sensitivity, in a time and day where despite the availability of effective sunscreen the sun is more dangerous than ever. Do you notice a trend? Make money by selling products that make skin sun sensitive, make more money by making people buy extra sunscreen, if they get sun damage from UV radiation, make more money by selling more AHAs to deal with that same sun damage!

The packaging is ugly and boring like all PC products.

I've been using AHA for years, but wanted something stronger. Picked up a few samples of this and used it several times to fade some acne scars and reduce congestion. This breaks me out every time. It makes my skin red, bumpy and irritated. It's not the AHA since I've been on it for a while, so it's another ingredient in this product.

I'm also really suspicious of PC product reviews- a lot of people are leaving promo links, which I've never seen before. PC also never publishes my negative reviews on their site... just be cautious when perusing reviews.

To Read all 110 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

A bit of context: I have extremely dry skin that gets eczema, sore patches, flaky skin that I can literally peel off, and while generally isn't sensitive, sometimes takes a violent dislike to products that have certain fragrances. I have always used physical exfoliants, and find that using them around three times a week helps to alleviate some of my dryness.

I got a sample of this with another Paula's Choice order, and I'm so impressed that I'm going to go out and buy the full size. One application of this and the results have outstripped anything I've ever achieved with a physical exfoliant. My skin is softer, smoother, brighter, more even-looking, and the acne around my mouth even looks better. I feel like all the dead skin has been sloughed away so thoroughly that I really have a new layer of skin on the top! My moisturiser also absorbed a lot better, and I woke up the next morning with very hydrated skin.

The formula feels like water, really, and it can be applied either with the hands or on a cotton pad. The smell is, quite honestly, gross - a bit like sweaty gym socks. I really dislike the smell, but can put up with it. It prickles a little bit on application, but for only a few seconds. I don't feel any burning, stinging, or really anything once the initial prickling has died down.

Overall I am very impressed with this product, and I can't quite believe that it has such great results when it applies like water and feels pretty normal on the skin. I will definitely be purchasing more!

Broke me out pretty badly. Also dry skin that lasted about four days. I'm thinking my skin may not like GA, or something in this product. Too bad because I really need some good exfoliation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of those products where I have seen a difference almost immediately, or soon after using this! It's become a staple in my routine. I really like to take care of my skin. It's an AHA exfoliant, and it makes my skin SO smooth. After cleansing and toning, you apply this on with a cotton pad. You can rinse it off after a few minutes, or leave it in (depending on how sensitive you are). It is strong, at 10%, so when you start out you need to do it only once a week. Once your skin becomes accustomed to the exfoliation, you can increase the amount of applications. I suggest at night, since this product makes your skin susceptible to sun sensitivity.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I'm using this every couple of days to deal with hyperpigmentation and also help with general exfoliatiion.

It does seem to be breaking down the darker patches and my skin seems a lot clearer.

Downside is the size of the bottle, its really quite small

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Unfortunately, this product didn't do anything for me. I used only Paula's Choice Resist line for 6 months. It just dried out my skin even more and made it look so dull. The items I used were: Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10% AHA. Resist Cellular Day Moisturizer with spf 25, Resist Non-Greasy Moisturizer, Resist Wrinkle Repair Retinol serum, Skin Perfecting 2% BHA, Resist c15 super booster, Resist Toner, Resist Cleanser, Resist Foundation, Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA. With all of this, I not only saw no results, my skin looked worse. I like to enjoy my skincare. That is huge for me. These products bored me. I ended up throwing what wasn't used up in the garbage after giving it a good 6 months. In summary, they were so boring and ineffective. Fortunately, I am using new products now that have made a huge difference. I am enjoying my skincare routine again!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff really works. It exfoliates my skin without having to scrub and irritate it which gets my skin all inflamed and causes acne. It does make my dry skin a bit drier though, but it's worth it.

Update: I found another night treatment I like better from Amazonia called potent cell renewal which make my skin way better without making it drier.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This comes in a small toner bottle. I didn't get much for my money. Tried it last night for the first time. I applied it after cleansing and I woke up this morning with bright glowing skin. I'm 58 and I don't get results like that much anymore so you could have blown me over with a feather! I will certainly keep up with this product. I do wish you would get more in the bottle but I had no irritation and I have seriously sensitive rosacea skin. I have tried all of her BHAs and old AHA products but this blows all of those away!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Paula's Choice products for about 2 months and have seen a very significant difference in my skin. The major difference is the way my skin glows and the way makeup enhances that instead of covering and/or making me look worse because of the bad texture of my skin. I have extremely dry AND dehydrated skin. This exfoliates my skin effectively, removing all the flaking and dullness without any irritation. I use this once a week in combination with the Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA. My skin has taken on a glow since I started using this. You get a lot product, the packaging is effective and the price is reasonable.