Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritants), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant),Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritants), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (antioxidants), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant), Lamium Album (White Nettle) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm) Bark Extract (anti-irritants), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant) Propylene Glycol (solvent), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative). 6/23/11

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

This was not as recommended for oily skin as the BHA is but it actually made the most improvement, go figure. I do not like the tacky feeling this product leaves on the skin and have since found other AHAs that work well with my skin.
I will continue to use glycolic acid on my face as I find it works a lot better for my skin than salicylic acid.
It helps to improve the look, texture, and tone of my skin.
I used about once a week and now use 2x week here and there for maintenance as needed.

Update I use glycolic nightly when I need I need to correct pigmentation on my skin.
I will use it every other night when my skin is looking pretty good. I no longer order PC products.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I've been using this product for about 4 months now. No noticable changes. The instructions say that you can wash off after a couple minutes or leave on over night. I always opt to leave on over night because in my mind the product will get a chance to work deeper. The products leaves a tacky residue after it dries down. I hate that. For the bottle to be as small as it is it has lasted these 4 months and I have still have product left. I prefer the daily exfoliater from PC.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Paula's Choice is known for formulating effective exfoliants. This product is a very thin, clear liquid with a strong chemical smell that does fade eventually. It can be applied with a cotton pad. This weekly AHA resurfacing treatment is very strong. It boasts 10% glycolic acid with a pH under 4.0. It does effectively exfoliate the skin. Unfortunately, I had some difficulty using it. I tried, at first, leaving it on for 10-30 minutes before applying serums and moisturizers. When I used it in this manner I did not see any results after 2 months of use. I was hoping for smoother more even skin with smaller pores. I then tried using this product as an overnight treatment without applying anything to my skin afterward. This was a disaster. It left me with dry, peeling and irritated skin. The product finally worked for me after leaving it alone for several months. The bottle design is not ideal for protecting the product from air and so I believe, over time, it decreased in potency. Now I can use it as a glycolic toner. I'm still on the hunt for an effective but gentle weekly peel.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I like the Good Genes one so much more! This one stings like crazy. Did she forget to buffer it? Unbearable discomfort.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This is a part of my weekly skin regimen - once a week (preferably on Thursdays, if I have any special weekend plans) I use this after cleaning. I usually let it sink in for some 20 minutes, thereafter I use a nice, mild cream with a lot of hydration (FAB:s Ultra Repair Cream) over and wash it again in the morning. My face looks really clear and bright after this!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I would like to give this a good review but I can't. It probably works as a great exfoliant for people who can tolerate such an aggressive treatment. After using this 3 times my skin was dehydrated like I never seen it before (it would form lots of dehydration lines if I purposely frowned or smiled), it looked very thin and fragile. I always had really good skin and very young looking for my age. My only problem is congestion I can get from using the wrong products and the dreaded hormonal acne on my chin that comes and goes in a cyclic fashion (to which admittedly I still haven't found a solution that works completely) .

I thought maybe this product would perfect my skin (which was a bit congested) and prevent my chin hormonal acne. However, it was too much. My skin is less congested but my pores look bigger and my skin looks worse. I look older and my skin looks less healthy. Honestly, it made me scared of using AHAs, especially this AHA, glycolic acid. I know my skin will get back to normal (it's been a week and a half since I stopped using this and my skin is definitely getting better) but still.

Paula's Choice team is so quick to condemn other brand's marketing strategies but what about theirs? Is it any better? Paula's Choice recommends all sorts of exfoliation on a regular basis (even for sensitive skin they recommend daily 1% salicylic acid). Also, this product is a weekly treatment but they advocate its use along with daily AHA!

I know many older ladies who have gorgeous skin (better than mine because they don't get spots on their chin!) and have never used an AHA or BHA. All of the sudden we are told that the only way to have great skin is to throw all sorts of AHAs at it. Paula's Choice is not alone in this, though. Many other brands, skin care 'gurus' and bloggers will recommend over exfoliation. Yes, to me it is over exfoliation.

What is even more concerning is that we are told we need to use lots of acids, some of which cause sun sensitivity, in a time and day where despite the availability of effective sunscreen the sun is more dangerous than ever. Do you notice a trend? Make money by selling products that make skin sun sensitive, make more money by making people buy extra sunscreen, if they get sun damage from UV radiation, make more money by selling more AHAs to deal with that same sun damage!

The packaging is ugly and boring like all PC products.

I've been using AHA for years, but wanted something stronger. Picked up a few samples of this and used it several times to fade some acne scars and reduce congestion. This breaks me out every time. It makes my skin red, bumpy and irritated. It's not the AHA since I've been on it for a while, so it's another ingredient in this product.

I'm also really suspicious of PC product reviews- a lot of people are leaving promo links, which I've never seen before. PC also never publishes my negative reviews on their site... just be cautious when perusing reviews.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

A bit of context: I have extremely dry skin that gets eczema, sore patches, flaky skin that I can literally peel off, and while generally isn't sensitive, sometimes takes a violent dislike to products that have certain fragrances. I have always used physical exfoliants, and find that using them around three times a week helps to alleviate some of my dryness.

I got a sample of this with another Paula's Choice order, and I'm so impressed that I'm going to go out and buy the full size. One application of this and the results have outstripped anything I've ever achieved with a physical exfoliant. My skin is softer, smoother, brighter, more even-looking, and the acne around my mouth even looks better. I feel like all the dead skin has been sloughed away so thoroughly that I really have a new layer of skin on the top! My moisturiser also absorbed a lot better, and I woke up the next morning with very hydrated skin.

The formula feels like water, really, and it can be applied either with the hands or on a cotton pad. The smell is, quite honestly, gross - a bit like sweaty gym socks. I really dislike the smell, but can put up with it. It prickles a little bit on application, but for only a few seconds. I don't feel any burning, stinging, or really anything once the initial prickling has died down.

Overall I am very impressed with this product, and I can't quite believe that it has such great results when it applies like water and feels pretty normal on the skin. I will definitely be purchasing more!

Broke me out pretty badly. Also dry skin that lasted about four days. I'm thinking my skin may not like GA, or something in this product. Too bad because I really need some good exfoliation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of those products where I have seen a difference almost immediately, or soon after using this! It's become a staple in my routine. I really like to take care of my skin. It's an AHA exfoliant, and it makes my skin SO smooth. After cleansing and toning, you apply this on with a cotton pad. You can rinse it off after a few minutes, or leave it in (depending on how sensitive you are). It is strong, at 10%, so when you start out you need to do it only once a week. Once your skin becomes accustomed to the exfoliation, you can increase the amount of applications. I suggest at night, since this product makes your skin susceptible to sun sensitivity.