Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Conditioner

Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Conditioner
Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Conditioner

3.8

Water/Aqua/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Chloride, Centrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Ascorbic Acid, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Caviar Extract, Polysilicone-15, Phospholipids, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Algae Extract, Jojoba Esters, Centrimonium Bromide, Dimethiconol, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Superoxide Dismutase, Amodimethicone, C11-15 Pareth-7, Glycereth-26, C12-13 Pareth 23, C12-13 Pareth 3, Trideceth-12, Polyquaternium-37, Laureth-9, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Lauryl Glucoside, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Methylisothiazolinone, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum).

on 11/26/2016 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

On my first use the conditioner seemed thicker than most, but it did its job of moisturizing fabulously! It did the job so well that I am willing to overlook the cost to buy it again. It comes in three sizes: 1.35oz for $9, 8.5oz for $32, or 16.5oz for $49. I would highly recommend this for those with dry hair, especially if it's damaged or colored. I also recommend it as a sulfate-free option for those of us with allergies and sensitivities.

on 10/13/2016 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is by far the BEST conditioner I have ever used. I have tried anything and everything from salon to drugstore to DIY. It is well worth the cost because a little goes a looooong way! My hair is the softest, silkiest and frizz free it has ever been and the fragrance is fabulous. It is truly sexy hair in a bottle!

on 8/6/2016 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

CAVEAT: My review and scoring [READ: Warning] for this product may only be applicable to women of color.

I need to start this review by stating I used to use this conditioner off and on a few years ago - I would purchase it maybe 2-3 times a yr. Back then I had mixed reviews on it, my biggest complaint really just being about the bottle/8.5 oz size (with the pull up top), which was difficult to use (I would have to cut the bottle to get the last of it out, which was abt a quarter of the product and that was incredibly aggravating to me)... Overall did feel it was a good conditioner. It was very conditioning and moisturizing, which is hard to find for my thick, course, curly hair). However, this was actually too moisturizing and my hair tangled like crazy and was left prone to a lot of frizz. So if I had to rate it based on past experience, I would have only scored it at 3 stars anyhow... Fast forward to now and ...

I repurchased this about a week ago in the large 16.5 size ($49.00) - it had been about 7-8 months since I last bought a bottle of it. I have no idea what Alterna did to the formulation, but this was legit one of the worst products I have ever used in my hair. The minute I began to spread it through my hair I began to freak out; upon application my hair turned into straw, which for me is a tell-tale sign of "bad" protein overload - I say bad because my hair loves conditioners and hair masks which contain natural proteins in the form of wheat, etc. As I began combing through my hair, I had a sh*t-tone of breakage and it took forever to gently attempt to comb out my mane of tangled straw. My hair felt terrible as it dried, and looked pretty bad (curls totally gone!) when dry. I wasn't sure if this was just a fluke or what so a few days later I tried it again on only a portion of hair and I got the same scenario. Even though I only used this as an all over conditioning product one time, I suffered from continued breakage for about a week, if not a bit longer, while attempting to repair this damage/the effects.

If I could score this zero stars do believe that I would. If you are Latina/Hispanic, mixed, woman of color you need to stay far away from this product. While I have yet to compare the old label to the newer one (so I don't know if something was added or if an existing ingredient was increased), there is definitely a change that is not coarse or thick hair friendly. After returning this product for refund, I looked at various reviews online and did note that more recent reviews from women of color described the same issues I experienced. While I do plan to finish up my older Alterna products that I really do like (Bamboo shine spray and Caviar leave in), I will not be re-purchasing those because I fear the same reformulation issue. This was one of (if not the very worst) hair product experiences I have ever dealt with.

on 12/17/2015 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My hair is extremely coarse & thick, in addition to being slightly dry, color-treated, and heat-styled. I also just turned 40, so the anti-aging aspect appeals to me. I need color protection, moisture, and strength. I use this with the matching shampoo. First, the conditioner has a spectacular fragrance - like a mixture of blackberries & cardamom. It smells incredibly luxe & delicious. I do find that the Caviar shampoo can leave my hair feeling slightly dry/tangled, but this conditioner works wonders & you need very little (a little goes a long way). It has a lot of slip, is moisturizing and detangles. It leaves my hair sleek, smooth & shiny. This is pretty pricey, but a little does go a long way. I would probably repurchase this.

on 12/1/2015 12:50:00 PM

Excellent moisturizing conditioner, but very pricey at $32 for a 8.5oz bottle. And I wish it didn't cost so much because I love the results. This conditioner leaves my hair super-smooth, silky, manageable, everything that I want. This is a top-notch conditioner and my dry, thirsty hair just drinks it up.

My only complaint is that it doesn't provide quite as much slip as I would like. This and the price tag are what make this conditioner fall short of HG status.

I would definitely buy this again, but only with some type of discount. This is sold at both Sephora and Ulta, and it's something I would pick up during a sale or if I had a coupon. In the meantime I'm going to stick with Joico Moisture Recovery, not only is it my HG but it's also much more affordable.

But if you don't mind spending the money, I recommend this product very highly. It's good stuff.

on 11/21/2015 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I enjoyed using this conditioner. It was buttery, smelled great (like cardamom) and left my hair feeling silky. However, I don't think it's anything special.

Cons: the bottle is really stiff and it can be tough to turn the lid and squeeze out product when you're all slippy in the shower. For $27, the packaging should be perfect and I think the product should be doled out a bit more generously. I used it with the corresponding shampoo, but likely won't be repurchasing either due to price. My hair is not that high maintenance!

on 3/12/2015 12:30:00 PM

This product did not work for me. Not only did it not deliver the healthy shiny hair promised by the advertisements, it actually made my hair drier and duller.

on 3/11/2015 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is my one and only luxury conditioner. Tried a lot of them and this is it for me, fits my current hair needs. Done buying, trying and wasting my $$$. Was going through a ton of shedding and this seems to curb it. Feels like butter on my hair, love the way my hair feels after rinsing. Alternate this baby with my other drugstore fav (One n Only Argan oil conditioner). I buy this conditioner, whenever my local beauty supply store does a 30% off deal. Please do try a sample from Sephora before buying the full size.

I enjoyed this conditioner, used in conjunction with the shampoo, but due to the price, do not plan to purchase.

on 3/5/2015 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I got this conditioner with the matching shampoo as part of a bonus rewards at Sephora.

I like this conditioner. Not as much as I like the shampoo, but I still liked it. My hair is thick, coarse and curly. It gets dried, straightened and ironed 3-4X a week. I think this conditioner did a good job softening my hair and adding shine while still maintaining bounce. I used a squirt about the size of a Loonie coin and massaged it in from ears down. I liked the smell...so fresh and clean and how easily it rinsed out. I also liked how long I could go between shampoos. If I washed my hair Monday I wouldn't have to wash it again until Thursday. What I don't like is the price; $40 for conditioner? No. If the conditioner was $20 cheaper, it would be my go-to.