L'Oreal Infallible 16hr foundation

3.4

Water, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acrylates/Polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Glycerin, Bis PEG/PPG 14/14 Dimethicone, PTFE, Nylon 12, Hydrogenated Styrene/Isoprene Copolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Isostearyl Diglyceryl Succinate, PEG 10 Dimethicone, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Caprylyl Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylene Carbonate, Magnesium Gluconate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), May Contain:

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Accidentally bought this 16hr version rather than the my HG 18hr version (both versions discontinued so I accidently bought the wrong one on ebay). I had no idea there were two versions and thought I'd bought a fake/expired one until I looked at the bottles more closely.

Infallible Never Fail 16HR- HATE it - my skin was left dry, peeling and irritated (was red and blotchy when I removed it) and it didn't even cover well!!

Infallible ADVANCED Never Fail 18HR - ABSOLUTE HG - doesn't dry out or irritate my skin and offers perfect HG coverage!!

It's amazing that the updated (Advanced 18hr) version is so amazing in comparison to the 16hr version. So glad I tried the Advanced 18hr version first, it's perfect for me (best I've found for my sensitive acne prone skin - never causes breakouts despite full coverage).

I tried this foundation on different days with: TF hangover rx primer, inglot primer, wet n wild primer (black and white tube) and the maybelline babyskin primer. To set I used the laura mercier translucent setting powder and revlon colourstay pressed powder.

PROS:
- Super matte
- Very comfortable
- lightweight
- Nice scent
- Works well for oily skin and maybe normal skin
- Superb coverage
- It works okay with large pores.
- Concealer blends fine over it.

Cons:
- Broke down on my nose after an hour, this was with plenty of setting powder and primer, and I have dry skin.
- After using this for just a day, my skin broke out in little bumps. It also dried it out a lot.
- Not buildable at all, when I attempted to build it up it balled up and looked disgusting, got cakey or it rubbed off.
- Oxidised grey after about 15 minutes.
- Shade range could use some work. Undertones are kind of a mess.
- It is very sticky/tacky and must be set despite being super matte, which makes it have a very cakey, powdery look.

This product could work (with a primer) for oily and normal skinned people, but never for someone with dry skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Bought this with a coupon and glad I did because I'm not buying it again except I wasted a perfectly good coupon. I was attracted to the "spf 20" on the display counter but became suspicious of the fact that on the bottle itself there is no claim of spf nor does it show any active ingredients for spf on the bottle. Yes, I see the usual minerals that is associated with physical sunblocks but I don't know what percentage they are and whether enough is in them for the product to be an effective spf. I use a chemical sunscreen underneath it anyway but I thought having an spf in my foundation might support it a bit.

Anyway as a foundation it's a love-hate:

Loves:
The coverage--medium to full
The color match--me at NC 30 Natural Beige works great on me
The pump instead of an open bottle
The look and feel on my skin--light and natural looking

Hates:
Expensive for a drugstore foundation--even more expensive than the Infallible Pro-Matte
The sticky feeling on the skin after application that doesn't go away

Let me elaborate on that sticky feeling. It's like a light layer of tacky glue on my face and it won't dry out even with a dusting of powder. It seems to make the powder stick on it more but when I was puttling powder blush on it seemed to make it a bit patchy on application. I didn't want to add more powder on my face for fear of making my makeup cakey so I dealt with it. When I had a mattifying sunscreen (Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid spf 70) under the foundation it seemed to help the stickiness, but primers, even matte ones didn't help though. In fact I think it made it worse. That stickiness was flat out annoying and that is the one reason I'll never buy this again. As for 16 hours long wear I can't say. I could barely tolerate it on for the 8 hours I had it. I can say that as a test I wore it on a hot day and walked the dog for nearly two hours. I didn't sweat it out!

UPDATE 7/15/2015: I tested and confirmed. This foundation does not play well with primer or at least the primers I used (Benefit Porefessional, e.l.f. Blemish Control Primer, Hard Candy Matte Primer). I also confirmed that if applied under a very light moisturizer or sunscreen the stickiness diminishes to the point that I just need a normal amount of setting powder and my blush wasn't blotchy. I gave back a lippie because not using a primer and using a liquid sunscreen not only is better for my skin anyway but also made the feel tolerable enough that I can appreciate the lovely skin-like look it gave me and the wonderful coverage and color match. Plus it stayed on my skin even on hot and humid days. So on days when I can't find my Infallible Pro-Matte in 104 anywhere Infallible 16-Hour is a tolerable substitute.

UPDATE 7/17/2015: Tested out application again wearing primer but used the Wayne Goss method of putting on powder AFTER primer but BEFORE foundation (

). In other words I put on everything but foundation, applied a dusting of powder and then applied the foundation. It worked. I can use primer with this foundation now.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this foundation. I'm tossing out my revlon CS and keeping this one in the rotation. It stays on my face all day and makes my skin look smooth. It really keeps my face looking fresh all day, from the morning when I apply til the end. It doesn't make me break out, and the shades match me way better than revlon which tend to look off on me. If you have pinker undertones than revlon might be more for you but if you have skin that is more yellow based, I would stick with loreal. Also, doesn't have any weird smells or feel cakey. I wouldn't call this completely full coverage so if you have pigmentation or acne scarring you might still need a concealer, but it does even out skin tone pretty well! Getting more when I run out!

Sorry folks! If you have dry skin this is probably not for you. This looked really cakey and not natural at all on me. The colour was the wrong match for me as well, to orange looking. Its really hard to find a good drugstore colour match if you are as pale as myself.It does last a long time though and it might work for someone with oily skin, however I would not recommend this. If you do have normal to try skin and are looking for a foundation that will last and still look natural I would highly recommend the Clarins everlasting foundation. Its more expensive but to me its well worth it and its what I always go back to. It has a satin to matte finnish to it and it looks really nice and natural, gives good coverage and lasts all day on me.

When it comes to my skin I have two different extremes. Very oily t-zone and dry everywhere else. Not ideal to say the last. I take care of my skin and always use primers. I heard good things about this on you tube to I bought it. It melts off my face over two hours, looks hideous. It oxides. It stuck to my dry patches. I always hoard make up but I'd give this one away.

Bought this because I'm looking for a foundation that won't break me out and the ingredients in this one weren't on the list of bad ones. Anywho. First impression was that it looked verrry chalky, covers pretty well, and that it was very matte. After a couple minutes my skin looked SUPER dry and unnatural, it seeped into lines (lines I didn't even know existed) and all of my blemishes showed up a weird purple color. By the end of the day (8hrs) my skin LOOKED dry and flaky but was oily to the touch....ew. Won't be using this again. Can't believe it got good reviews. Also, the pump doesn't lock, the first 15 or so pumps came out as literally just oil, and it clogged my pores heavily. DONT BUY

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a difficult review for me because this was actually the very first foundation I ever tried. 5 years ago when I began my journey with makeup, this is what I first experimented with. When I first tried this foundation, I had VERY dry skin and extremely bad acne. It was not good for that. It made my dry patches look even worse and when using it over prominent acne, made my skin look very bumpy and just... not good. So over the years I experimented with other foundations and eventually found myself coming back to this a few months ago. Remembering how I reacted to it the first time, I was not giving it very much hope. However, I was pleasantly surprised. My skin is a lot better now, with very few breakouts and only some slight redness on my nose/cheek area. It is very blendable and gives good coverage without feeling too cakey or heavy. It's a little too shiny for my taste so I do have to use a matte-ifying powder over it to reduce the shine. The lasting power is good, but it oxidizes HORRIBLY. As another reviewer has said, it looks flawless when I first put it on but when I get home and look in the mirror it looks at least 2-3 shades darker and has a very orange tint. Not good at all. All of this would be okay if it wasn't so expensive for a drugstore foundation ($12-$13/bottle where I live), as well as the fact that it is discontinued so if you wish to purchase it you would have to do so online. So I do have a soft spot for this foundation because I do have a history with it, but the oxidization as well as the price make it a no-go for me :(

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Everyone is raving about this foundation. I purchased this with high hopes, but unfortunately I am not in love. I have dryish skin, I am over 40 and feel this foundation does not look great on my skin. I think it is better for someone with a little more oil in there skin. I am taking it back.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm now on my second bottle, but I don't think I'll repurchase after this bottle.

It sits quite nicely on my dry skin, without clinging to particularly dry areas, and has a nice finish that gives the look of healthy, glowing skin without being oily or cakey.

It blends really nicely, and is reasonably thin but with good pigmentation, so doesn't feel heavy on the skin, and I didn't find it irritated or caused breakouts on my sensitive skin, fortunately, and only required a slight dab of powder to set.

I have rather pale skin, and the lightest shade looks like a good match on my skin, but this is where there's an issue...

IT OXIDISES HORRIBLY! By that, I mean I go out of the house looking nice and pale, and return (it has good staying power, I'll give it that), looking like I had put my foundation in a blender with orange paint... not really the look I'm going for! I had this problem with True Match too, so I'm wondering if it's an all-round L'oreal problem, which I rather wish they'd fix, as the foundations are otherwise great!

Not for long wear if you don't want to be orange <3