NARS Etrusque

Etrusque

4.5

on 11/2/2011 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is an excellent, highly pigmented eyeshadow for people after a true gold shadow that is metallic, but not glittery. I particularly love it because it is a deep enough gold to avoid being overtly 'bright yellow', and it is also not at all green-toned (those 'tarnished-olive-golds', on my medium Asian skin, always seem to appear as unflatteringly-ashy, 'eye-minimising' colours).

The shadow goes on very smoothly and extremely long wearing (in the context of all-day staying power for both 9-5 hour working days and in-a-crowded/sweaty-club nights out dancing).

A little goes a long way (it will be a long, long time ('years'?!) before all of this shadow is used, even with daily application). I can use this colour intensely, or blend it to be more of a subtle, shimmery wash.

I read the review criticising the colour upon application being weak and was absolutely of the opposite opinion/rather stunned.

In relation to the packaging, my only 'negative' comment is superficial - the matte plastic packaging collects shadow particles if you happen to handle it with makeup-dusted fingers. Otherwise, the little case-with-mirror is very sound and will survive being dropped/jumbled about in a handbag/travel beautycase numerous times with only very minor, to-be-expected crumbling where use has made an indent.

Overall, I purchased this in US for $23, which, as an Australian, is incredibly cheap for NARS and worth every cent and more. It's a bit more like double the price in Australia, but I even consider this quite reasonable, if one can afford it, in terms of the quality of this particular shadow/colour.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Perfect shade of light gold with yellow tones but not a heavy yellow toned gold. I love this shade. It can be sheered out to fall into a nude category and can be layered for some 24K action. Used wet it will intensify the shade. Love the shimmering finish. It's beautiful and not tacky like some golds can be. I find is makes a very sophisticated look with just the shadow and some mascara. great on lower lid area and inner corner.

on 11/27/2010 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

As others have stated, Etrusque is a gorgeous color. The only reason I'm not completely thrilled about it is that it looks almost identical to Urban Decay's Half Baked on me. Half Baked has been my favorite gold eye shadow up until this point, but the colors are so close that I don't think it's necessary to own both. On my fair skin tone, the only difference is that Etrusque is less metallic than Half Baked.

on 3/19/2011 4:55:00 AM

etrusque is one of the most beautiful gold e/s ever and reminds me of liquid gold. before the image of 007's gold finger pops to mind, let's move on with the review = ) this is a winner in terms of colour payoff and uniqueness. it goes on really silkily and the colour is extremely pigmented. i find that u get more color payoff when applying this with your fingers. this would look really stellar with black winged eyeliner and a strong lip. i don't really use gold e/s so i can't really compare this with other brands. i'm sticking with this for now!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I LOVE gold shadows and wear them 90% of the time. So when I saw Etrusque, I had to get it. This was also my first NARS shadow and I expected the quality to be great since it is $23 USD. Wrong! I used several diffrerent brushes and even used the infamous MAC 239 and I really had to pack the shadow on the brush. I couldn't just tap the brush like I do with Urban Decay shadows. I had to go over it several times to pick up any colour. Therefore, I took two lippies off since the quality is so poor and is overpriced. That aside, I really do like the colour so I will keep it and repurchase.

on 1/12/2011 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

The realest? gold ive seen yet. Beautiful, smooth and very pigmented! Stays on extremely well with primer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ok, first of all I'm not a NARS e/s fan. 99% of the time I don't care for the texture and feel they're over priced for what they are. However, Etrusque is the exception.

The texture is a dream, so silky smooth and super pigmented. Etrusque is being described as a UD honey dupe, and it's definitely not.

Honey is much more of a yellow mustardy gold, and Etrusque is more metallic (shimmer but NO GLITTER! :]) and a more true gold imo. I find etrusque to be more wearable for those of us with a cool complexion (I'm a blue eyed nw10 for ref)

Very sad this is limited edition. Would repurchase.

on 11/15/2010 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I loooooove this eyeshadow. Out of all the gold eyeshadows I have, I think this is the prettiest gold eyeshadow! It has great pigmentation and a wonderful, smooth texture. I have no problems with this eyeshadow whatsoever!

on 11/5/2010 3:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I love love love this eyeshadow, I can get the color on the pan onto my eyes easily with a eyeliner brush, or use a fluffy brush to give it a glitter effect onto my eyes without fallouts on my face.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been on a mission to find this silky antique gold eyeshadow. I saw it at Sephora one day during my lunch, but didn't have time to wait in line to purchase it. When I went back the next day, it was gone. I've stalked my two local Sephoras and tried to swap for it, and no luck. I know it's available on the Sephora and NARS website, but I don't want to pay for shipping or purchase additional products to get free shipping. I tried again today at one Sephora only to be told it didn't come in the most recent shipment. :( When I got home, however, I realized that I had an EXACT dupe in my collection. A very sweet swapper included Bobbi Brown's Gold (chrome) eyeshadow (from the 2009 holiday collection) as an extra in a swap. I still had the NARS swatch on my hand and side by side I could not tell the difference at all. NARS is maybe a tad creamier (that is to say it is "extra smooth"), but Gold (chrome) also has wonderfully smooth texture so it's not a huge difference is quality. I also compared both the Bobbi Brown Gold (chrome) and Etrusque to MAC's Gold (metal) pigment and MAC's has a slight green undertone compared to the yellow/orange undertone of the other two. I would still like to get my hands on Etrusque, but for now, will enjoy my Bobbi Brown dupe.