Silica Microspheres/Powder

No Image

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I use this, rice powder, and kaolin clay to make my own face powder. I have extremely oily skin and nothing I've tried on the market, all the way from indie to high end, has been strong enough to keep me shine-free for more than maybe 2 hours. I only wish I had thought to try making my own 5 or so years ago -- would've saved me a boat load of money. I use 45% silica + 45% rice powder + 10% kaolin clay and have been incredibly happy with the result. My mix is completely translucent, blurs the appearance of my pores, and keeps me matte for almost half the day (but does not dry me out or emphasize any dry spots).

All three ingredients were purchased for $8.75 including shipping from TKB Trading and took about 3 minutes to measure and mix. I probably have enough to refill my 30g jar two more times, so that's at least a year's worth of powder right there. Really, really happy that I decided to give this a shot and can honestly say that I will never go back to retail for powder again.

on 1/7/2014 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I am from the UK and the shipping costs were criminal. They would have possibly been justified had this product done anything for oil control...i had more luck with pearl powder shipped from china and arrowroot. It also irritates my skin, causing its usual even tone to be red and blotchy.
Huge waste of time and money, all my hope is lost, at least oily skin ages more nicely.

on 10/10/2012 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is the generic version of HD powder. It is silica microspheres-silicon dioxide. It looks white but applies colorless. I bought mine from TKB Trading, and I got one ounce for approx. $5. Extremely good deal as an ounce of powder will last quite a long time. I was very surprised and pleased at how much an ounce of powder really is. It came in a tough ziploc type bag with a label, and I decanted most of it into an old clean MAC loose powder sifter jar, then more into another smaller empty clean Bobbi Brown loose powder sifter jar. This powder is loose and is so very fine it mists into the air when disturbed, and I cannot stand the smell of it, but that's easily overcome by holding ones breath while using. The package even says "avoid breathing dust." The powder provides a lovely satin finish and a little bit goes a long way. It just feels incredible on. Too much can be drying. So, save your money on brand names and get this. It's the same thing and you get a ton of product for the price. Plus the shelf life of the powder is indefinite if stored properly. Love it. Great value.

on 5/15/2012 4:47:00 PM

I found this at a local soap/lotions supplier and wow! I was shelling out for MUFE's HD powder, and got triple the amount of silica microspheres for 1/8th of the cost- and that was only for the cheapest sample size! This stuff is an absolute HG item for me. My skin is so pale and olive that I have a hard time finding powders to match my skin tone. This has no color, so I have no worries about matching my skintone and it does a fabulous job of keeping shine away while giving my skin a velvety texture. I also mix this half and half with BE minerals powder if I want some "color" with very good results. I definitely encourage all the MUFE HD powder users to look into this.

HG product! The only powder that prevents the concealer underneath my eyes from creasing throughout the day.

Unfortunately I can't apply this all over my face because I have a tendency to develop small pimples so I only use it underneath my eyes.

on 2/13/2010 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Regarding silica spheres:

Here is the size of the particles:

TKB Trading = median size 5 microns
MUFE = under 7 microns
CS = 10-14 microns

Price comparisons:

TKB Trading = $20.50 for 8 oz., $11.50 for 4 oz., $3.45 for 1 oz.
MUFE = $30 for 0.35 oz. (!!!)
CS = $21.90 for 8 oz., $4.00 for 1 oz.

I just got an 8 oz. bag from TKB Trading and I'm amazed. Awesome price, cheap shipping, and super fast too. I hope this helps.