Avalon Organics Botanicals Silky Cornstarch Baby Powder

4.5

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Current favourite dusting-powder, i.e. talc-free talc. Used as final stage of the Deodowich, for the purpose of deodorising armpits and general moisture-management there and in other sweatier bodily areas, on sunnier more sweat-inducing days.

It's a fine-milled powder. Little scent, just a mild chamomile and marigold. Like many other Avalon baby products, Weleda Baby, etc.: think standard baby smell minus the blasted usual ever-present heavy lavender (Weleda does have some lavender, but less than many another baby range). Which may or may not be a particularly good idea on infants--that cytotoxicity business. It's certainly not a good idea on me, as I'm allergic to the oil.* YMMV.

Absorbs well, and absorbs moisture well.

Other unscented talc-free powders used: Hugo Naturals shea butter one and Little Twig (as good, but more expensive); some UK own-brand ones (ex. Boots); DIY mixtures of plain arrowroot, rice, and cornstarch powders (sourced from cooking and baking areas of supermarkets).

Scented ones: Dr.Hauschka (lovely but unconscionable price), Burt's Bees and California Baby (smell gorgeous but occasional irritation: should be fine on most human skin within the normal range).

Costs around USD 6.00-10.00 for 2.5 oz / 71 g. Cruelty-free.

INGREDIENTS: Zea mays (corn) starch, sodium bicarbonate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice(1), calendula officinalis flower(1) and chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower(1) extracts, panthenol, allantoin, retinol.

* Not massively totally allergic to lavender: I'm OK with minuscule amounts of the essential oil--it's mainly my nose it sets off, then nostrils get inflamed, then histamine over-reaction and skin irritation spread. Small to medium amounts of distilled hydrosol are fine. Most of the powders with lavender contain powdered dried buds: which contain the essential oil: which is my trigger. If there's enough for me to smell the lavender at arm's length, then there's enough to trigger allergy. Even if I'm not applying it up my nose. I usually have a good minute between lavender-detection and the start of sneezing. Giving me time to run away and not sneeze all over product displays, hapless customers, helpless babes in arms, etc. continued >>

on 10/20/2010 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I use this for myself, I don't have a baby. This feels nice and silky. It has no scent at all, I'd really prefer a pretty natural scent. I'd give it a 5 if it had a pretty smell.. Burts Baby Bee dusting powder has and GREAT scent, just not sure how natural that scent is. I prefer 100% natural stuff...

Popular Body Skincare Products