Make up Academy Lipstick in Shade 1

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Make up Academy Lipstick in Shade 1

4.9

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

If you're looking for a new lipstick and you love red lipsticks, get this now! I purchased it in Superdrug the other day for £1, and I am so impressed! It has a good texture and isn't too dry or drying, and it stays on and lasts reasonably well, without feathering or smudging much. I absolutely love red lipsticks, however I prefer deeper reds, rather than orange-reds or pink-reds, and this is a perfect colour for an amazing price! I'll definitely repurchase it, it's my new favourite red lipstick (and I have 9 other red lipsticks)

I feel like MUA are really hit and miss - some products are amazing and some are down right awful. This lipstick, however, is pretty great for the price.
Firstly, I love the colour. The colour is a deep red, and with my pale skin is extremely striking. I've only worn it for a few hours at a time but in my experience hasn't annoyingly dried my lips out or smeared all over my face. However, it is quite watery making it hard to apply - so maybe a lip liner pencil is advised, with a LOT of patience too. A brush might make it easier, too, and at the bottom of the packaging a small pot unscrews with some product inside it, which is handy if you use a brush or maybe a finger. In comparison to the matte MUA lipsticks, which are very dry, I feel like these are the better option even though they are, as I said, slightly watery.
The packaging is standard. An average looking black packaging with a transparent unscrewable pot at the bottom - however not sturdy - I've found these to break quite easily, so maybe be careful if you're going to put this in a bag or your pocket.
Overall, a nice colour and lipstick - you definitely cannot complain for the price and definitely has some good features for such a cheap lipstick. Be prepared to be wowed for the price (colour wise, doesn't dry your lips, lasts a good while, etc.) but at the same time don't expect too much. I'd buy it again purely for the colour, I think.

on 10/23/2011 11:17:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have become such a fan of all of these lipsticks. They are cheap, long-lasting and highly pigmented. This particular shade is a lovely warm wearable red, suitable for night or day. It looks a little scary in the tube but suits my complexion very well. Perfect autumnal shade. I dab it on with my finger, blot and then a layer of lipgloss if necessary. Possibly a little drying but still exceptionally good!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Love this!

It's a great vivid colour, easy to put on and stays on well, and all for 1! Better than some much more expensive ones. Can't complain really

on 6/17/2011 11:35:00 AM

These lipsticks are amazing:

- very pigmented
- beautiful shimmery/metallic shades
- very creamy, go on like a dream
- amazing staying power - lasted through lots of drinks :-)
- incredibly cheap!

Amazing value for no money at all!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I'm over the moon about the make up my dear friend from the UK sent me recently. This lipstick is one of them and believe me when I say, it is the creamiest, most high quality, brick red lipstick I've ever owned. I know I've been gushing a lot lately but I'm so thrilled with this line! The packaging is sheik and lovely. The shade reminds me of NYX Round Lipstick in Snow White but deeper and less creamy, which allows the lipstick to really stay put throughout the day with minimal touch ups. This is a true, brick red lippie that smells amazing! I don't know what to liken it to..but I know that every time I apply it, I savor every second of the application. Like I said before, if you can get your paws on this line..I highly recommend you do so! The price seems affordable and the quality of product is at a near professional level.

xoxoxo
- Mad Madam Jess

on 10/14/2010 4:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

When i first heard about the MUA range by Superdrug it didn't interest me as everything is a pound- yes 1!! Being the cosmetic snob that i am, i walked past it every time i was in store.
Recently my cousin had an amazing lipstick on- i had to ask what it was. When she said it was by MUA i honestly counldn't believe it- there was no way a lipstick for a quid could look that good, could it?! I checked out the range and i have to say, it is pretty damn good for the price! I ended up getting a lot of different items from the range but this lipstick has to be my favourite. I would describe the colour as a dark cherry red. As the previous reviewer said, it reminds me a lot of the red Gwen Steffani wears. The colour is amazing- so pigmented and looks great with my fair skin. It lasts for ages!! I rarely have to touch it up and it doesn't come off on my teeth! I will be getting more items from the range- don't be put off by the price, the quality is very good. I will be less snobbish in future and give cheaper brands a try. I love Superdrug!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

MUA (Make-Up Academy) is the new budget range in Superdrugs where everything is just 1. Yes, that's right - 1 whole pound! I have only tried their eyeshadows (which are amazing - highly pigmented and blend really well, definitely recommend those) and lipsticks so can't comment on the entire range. But I'm here to talk about this lippie anyway which is really beautiful. The swatch online is not accurate, it looks like a bright double decker bus shade when it is in fact a dark, deep cherry red shade. I have been searching for a red this colour for so long! It reminds me of the colour Gwen Stefani uses regularly. It goes on very smoothly and surprisingly lasts for ages too. I thought because it was only 1 it would glide off whenever my lips touched a mug but it didn't. It is has a waxy kind of scent but I don't mind it. Absolute bargain and a beautiful shade - I plan on stocking up!