Oshima Tsubaki Oil

4.6

100% Pure Camellia Japonica Seed Oil

on 7/28/2016 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Another one of my HG product. I know it's mainly for hair but I use it for my face. I incorporate my moisturizer with a few drop of this oil then I'm set for the night. It is by far the lightest oil I have come acrossed. I have tried, jojoba, shea, filtered shea, sweet almond, grapeseed, baobab, olive, coconut. With grapeseed and jojoba oil being the 2nd runner up lightest oil I've tried.

I have thick, fine, damaged (from bleach), chin length hair and when I apply this oil my hair is manageable and no longer looks like straw. It is very silky after blow drying. I only use 2-3 drops (and apply when my hair is wet (but not dripping wet) by rubbing on my hands and lightly running my them through my hair. I used to use too much for my hair and it made it greasy. So you have to experiment to figure out how much you need.

I find this oil works to restore hair vitality better than argan oil (Josie Maran's and Acure Organics), Agave oil, Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry oil, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. Out of these other oils, olive oil was the best. The Alterna was OK when my hair wasn't so damaged.

The Tsubaki oil does not make me break out even though I have sensitive skin.

I haven't had any trouble with the oil going bad and I've had it for 6+ months. I keep it in the box out of sunlight.

The bottle is huge and has a drip top that releases the oil slowly.

To Read all 18 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I have recently relaxed hair that until three months ago, was completely "75%" natural (no relaxer, some color). Due to increasing responsibilities, time restrictions, complicated hair texture, and lack of appropriate hairstylists in my area, I gave up and went back to the relaxer. To be honest, I was blessed with resilient hair that'd thrive in either way, I went with the way that made my life easier. Anyway, I found this oil at a TJMAXX a few months ago and it has fast become one of the best purchases I have ever made. It's like instant photoshop for my hair. Leaves my hair moisturized, makes my coloring much more intense, controls frizz, and it basically looks like my hair was laminated. Rollers are a breeze to do since the ends lay down flat, my drying time has also been cut to 45 minutes. My whole hair day is now 2 hours from start to finish and my hair looks great all week, I don't need to moisturize or touch it up. Seriously. It travels great because the oil can double as hand and body moisturizer. Not so great as a fave moisturizer, as I have dry, hormonal acne prone skin. But other than that, a refreshing surprise that is worth every penny. I may not purchase again as Argan Oil has proven to be the powerhouse that is famed to be in my case, as it fades dark spots and evens up my skin while also being great for my hair.

on 7/29/2015 12:31:00 AM

Multi purpose oil. Good for face, hair, eyes, and body. For now I use it for my face, eyes, and certain parts of my body.

ē face: I'm an acne prone and this oil does its job really well. As mentioned in a Japanese blog (this oil was originated from Japan), It can cure acne by using it as a facial wash and moisturizer. I splash my face with warm / hot water, put 3-4 drops of tsubaki oil on my hands and I massage my face for 1 minute. Rinse with cold water to "lock" the oil. If I feel some residue after, that's okay because I don't need to put more oil as moisturizer. No need to worry that it will clog your pores because what happens is it makes my face acne free even during my period (for the first time since forever). It heals my already there acne pretty fast too. Plus point, it shrinks my pores. No need to use too much because it will feel greasy. Otherwise, it absorbs quickly and non sticky.

ē eyes: I use it as eyes serum, put it on my lash line too to promote eyelash growth. I like how it moistures my eyes. I don't use eye cream anymore since I use this oil as my eyes treatment.

ē body: I use it for my certain parts of my body that suffer from super dry condition. After several days, I can see the dry and patchy parts get better and smooth.

Verdict: I love it and worth the price.

on 3/27/2015 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It's about time I did a review on this, since I've just gone through three bottles of it in the last four months and have just gone out to buy another two. The reason I go through the camellia oil so fast is because I use it for both my face and hair. These are some of the beauty routines I use that incorporate camellia oil:

1) I use it to remove my makeup. This works like a dream -- I put a few drops on to a cotton pad (I use thick Japanese ones) and wipe it over my eyes, brows, cheeks, everything, and it takes off everything without me having to pull my skin hard. It's pure camellia oil, which is fantastic because then I know my skin doesn't have to put up with harsh chemicals. After I make sure all the day's makeup is off, I massage my face for a minute or two with this oil still on. This is also known in Korea as the double cleansing method -- after the oil, I wash my face with my normal cleanser, and it's always soft and hydrated after, with no breakouts at all.

2) I use it as a pre-shampoo hair treatment. I do this every day before I shampoo. I'll pour about 3-4 drops in my cupped palm, rub my hands together, then smooth the oil all over my hair from the nape of the neck down to the ends. Then I go off to shampoo and condition as usual (my conditioner is the Shiseido Tsubaki one). When it's done and dried, my hair is soft and shiny all the way down to the ends. It's now waist length. And my perm is now fourteen months old, but it still looks curly and shiny. No more fried ends like I had last year.

3) As a lip conditioner. Sometimes when I feel like my lips are particularly dry, I run a clean fingertip along the rim of the opening and dab it onto my lips. It sinks in and hydrates them.

I have tried so many other oils -- grapeseed, coconut, jojoba, rosehip, argan, etc, but none come close to camellia in terms of lightness. I've heard that Japanese women all use this on their hair -- and they're seriously a nation where every girl could be a hair model -- and it's worked for me, my hair is now down to my waist. I'm hoping it has protective/regenerative effects on my skin too, but I'll only be able to tell you that when I'm older and have been using it consistently for years.

This is not the most fantastic of packaging, because it comes in a traditional glass bottle that you have to turn upside down to get the oil out. I wouldn't recommend it for travelling unless you put it in one of those atomizers and use it as an oil spray. But it's worth it knowing that this is a traditional pure Japanese product and all natural.

This is definitely a miss for me, and there arenít many misses among my haul in Japan.

Truth be told, Iím about to throw Oshima Tsubaki Oil away. Thereís still 60% of the oil sitting in the glass bottle. No, Iím not being wasteful. Read on and youíll know why I have no other choice.

6 Reasons why this is a huge miss for me.

1. Too Oily
2. Inconvenient Application
3. Smells Bad after a While
4. Not Easy to Spread
5. Prefer Pump Dispenser
6. Not Travel Friendly

Full review, before-after photos and price details at http://bit.ly/1A8M0lT

on 1/16/2015 6:26:00 AM

NB - I use Camellia Oleifera rather than Japonica oil. Oleifera is a cheaper oil but essentially the same plant.

I bought this oil basically because I couldn't get my usual facial oil. Only then did I find out it could be used for hair. So I tried it. I have oily scalp, straw-like ends and wavy hair which is fine and prone to breakage. This oil is the best shine and anti-frizz serum I've ever used. I oil my hair daily with it in the traditional manner. By applying the oil to a boxwood comb and combing the hair with it. After 1 week of daily use my hair is a totally different thing. Gone are the strawy ends, there is no frizz just very healthy and shiney hair. I can put a tonne of this stuff in my hair without it looking greasy. I put about 2 drops per day in and wash my hair once per week. Works brilliantly.

I also use it on my face as a makeup remover and general cleanser as well as a moisturiser. Mixed with a few drops of rosehip oil this stuff is brilliant on my mature skin. It gives me such a glow and my skin never feels dry. I love it, and being one of the cheaper oils I buy it just can't be beaten. So glad I discovered this oil.

on 7/16/2014 11:32:00 AM

I am a bit unsure how to rate this . I like the fact that the oil is pure , light , no scent and inexpensive . Yet I find it hard to use . I usually end up overusing leaving me with an oily look .

on 4/5/2014 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Product Description: 100% Camellia Japonica seed oil from Japan is the natural way to restore moisture and sheen to hair with just a few drops.

Ingredients: Camellia Japonica Seed Oil

Pros:
- excellent cost performance (comes in 20ml/540 yen, 40ml/972 yen, 60ml/1404 yen and 120ml/2160 yen)
- you seriously only need a few drops; my hair is just over shoulder length and I use 2 drops
- easy to apply; rub oil on hands and run hands through hair
- gives natural healthy hair look and feel; don't expect salon finish
- next to no smell

Cons (but not really):
- I'm not sure if I could finish the 40ml bottle using only 2 drops at a time before the oil goes off but I'm glad that there are different sizes to choose from
- since this is so well-known and so popular, other companies have jumped on board. Kurobara has almost the same packaging as Oshima, I almost bought the wrong one until I noticed the kanji

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I forgot to write a review for this for the longest time. I found this at my local Chinatown for $20 plus tax. It makes a very good conditioning oil for me. It is very thick in viscosity and you will only need to use a little bit but this stuff is wonderful. It really makes my hair gleam and softens while controlling frizz. I have tried many oils from Joico, Redken, Dermorganic, etc and this remains one of my top five favorite oils because it actually sinks in well and conditions my hair. My hair is left feeling and looking healthy. I prefer to apply it to my wet hair and then let it marinate during the day before shampooing it out. If your hair is normal to coarse and on the dry side, you might like this. The bottle is glass and it has an opening for the oil to pour out from. It is also 100% pure camelia oil with a light scent so it's a good bargain.

Popular Hair Treatments