L'Oreal Root Rescue

L'Oreal Root Rescue

2.0

on 3/10/2016 6:53:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love this product. I hate dying my entire head because it always ends up too dark in some spots and too light in others. But I do need to cover up my constantly increasing greys and this products works beautifully for that. I use dark brown, it covers all my grey hair and lasts a fairly long time provided I don't use a harsh shampoo often. I love the applicator, there's enough product for me to cover all of my roots without issue. It is a little expensive for what it is. Will continue to purchase.

on 2/17/2016 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

One lipstick because the colour is near perfect. I used dark brown and it blends in beautifully with my colour.
One lipstick for how easy it is to use Root Rescue.
But that's all I got. The price is crazy expensive for what you get....and you can buy a full box colour for the same price.
And some of the grays, not all, are still visible even though I left the colour on for 20 minutes - 10 minutes longer than the recommended time.
I only bought this because Clairol's root touch up product was sold out in my colour, so, figuring Root Rescue's gotta be better because it's L'Oreal and pricier. Wrong.

To Read all 60 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/4/2014 7:47:00 PM

Love this product. I've been trying to grow my hair out, but it's difficult to do if I dye all of my hair. The ends end up like straw. So I decided to stop dying my whole head and I rely on this for my grey roots. I use #5 and it always turns out well. Using this product as my sole hair colour has allowed me to have healthy ends.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Didn't love this product. Although I found the applicator easy to work with, I found the colour darkened too much (I was using dark brown, while the colour really came out black) and stained my skin - more than a regular dye would. Also, I swear some of the grey I was covering was back immediately! Also, like one of the other reviewers said, the price is the same as for a full box of regular dye, so this just isn't worth it. Even though it's just for touch-ups, I'd rather have the right colour and better consistency. Won't re-purchase.

on 3/27/2014 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Waste of money - I have a lot of graying at my roots and all this did was lightly tint them.... so they still stood out among my otherwise medium brown hair even after leaving it on 20 minutes instead of 10-15. The Clairol and Revlon versions are much better. I only tried this because it was on sale. Live and learn, I suppose!

Lots of negative reviews which surprised me. This is not meant to be a whole head color, just a quick touch up betweens.

I get my hair professionally colored mostly due to wanting good highlights and having hard to cover gray. But its pricey and I have a cut that doesn't require a lot of trims so I get 10-12 weeks out of each cut/color with the root touch up.

I have tried several shades that seems to be appropriate with my colored dark auburn with many highlights hair and all have blended well. I have hard to cover gray and it coats them and keeps it looking good so I can squeak an extra 4 weeks from my cut/color.

Surprised that so many complained about it being hard to apply, because I found it easy to use, yes you also have to squish the color down even with the applicator but it was overall less mess than the Clairol. Yes, its stinky but most haircolor is. No there is not a lot in there but its enough to cover my part and my temples and its quick and easy to apply.

Its on clearance at Target and Fred Meyer, I suspect its about to be discontinued and I am sad, the Clairol doesnt cover my grays.

on 3/23/2013 6:12:00 PM

I didn't read the reviews before I bought this in #4 - dark brown - interestingly enough the reviews for #4 are generally good so maybe they have a better formula for that one - Here's what I don't get - It costs as much if not more then a box of hair coloring. The only difference is the bottle and that comb-like top. You get very little product - I had barely enough to do the roots at my crown and the sides of my head. I found that comb applicator to be very annoying and ended up using my fingers to blend the color on - oh that's right - just like you do with regular hair coloring - anyway - it drips all over the place and it smells awful. I left it on 15 minutes then rinsed and shampooed out and blew dry my hair after using a whole lot of conditioner. First of all it's black - maybe it will lighten as I wash it - it covered most of the gray nicely but left some strands untouched which I don't mind because it looks more natural then solid black. I just don't get the point when for the same money or less you can buy a whole box of color to do your roots - believe me when I tell you they are stingy with the product. Not a color disaster but I won't purchase it again.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just got done using this. I bought the light golden brown. I hate the applicator, my hair kept getting tangled in it and it kept dripping all over. It says leave in 10 minutes, I left it for 15. I washed my hair and my gray roots were as gray as they were before. It did absolutely nothing. I've never used this product but I dye my hair all the time and this has never happened.

on 2/5/2013 9:12:00 PM

Brief background on my hair:
I am blonde - naturally - but in the winter my roots (first 1-2" or so) grow out a lot darker than the rest of my hair does...yay au naturel ombre! Syke. I hate it. In the summer, though, or if I were to live in a climate where it's always sunny, my hair gets easily bleached by the sun super fast. But yeah, in the winter not so much and therefore the roots look like that light dishwater blonde color..also my hair is a coolish-toned blonde all the way through.
So I thought this would be a good winter pick-me-up for my strands, so I bought it. I applied it. It looked pretty darn a-ok! Yay for cheap, easy root dye! However, a few days later it began turning pretty brassy and developed into a fairly obvious WARM tone blonde, which is fine for someone with a warmer blonde color to begin with, but looked pretty "meh" with my cool tone hair. Luckily, it wasn't tooooo uber noticeable to the general population, but a hairdresser or anyone who's into hair would notice the discrepancy right away. Plus, it bothered me every time I looked in the mirror. Thankfully, it pretty much faded out but by that time spring had arrived and I could definitely have lived without it.
Not disastrous but disappointing. Sorry, kinda TMI and long.

Summary:
Overall this product is mediocre, IMHO.
Turns blonde/dark blonde roots warm (if cool/neutral) and fairly brassy.
Will not repurchase.
And the blue comb-y applicator blows, and if you have fine hair (like I do) or relatively dry hair, it could cause some difficulty pulling it through.

Reviewed on February 5, 2013
By Annyutka

on 2/3/2013 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Good price but washed out too quickly, even while using L'Oréal shampoo and conditioner designed for dry hair.