New York Color Ultra Moist Lip Wear - Retro Red

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/20/2017 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Classic "retro" red, in my opinion. All the other colors in the collection are pretty much a nightmare other than Blossom and this one, though. (Stay away from Petal.) But this one came off so creamy and pigmented. The packaging is sort of cheap but I mean, the lipstick was only a buck. The smell is...cheap and slightly off putting but I found that it fades. Gorgeous color, super moisturizing and lasted a three-hour performance of vigorous ballet dancing. If this one dollar lipstick can survive the Nutcracker and then some, it's a great lipstick.

gr8 but took 4ev 2 remove good color though

on 4/6/2011 3:18:00 AM

This is a fantastic lipstick! "Rouge rétro" or "Retro red" in English is a perfect bright red, reminiscent of the 50's Hollywood classic red lipstick.
While rummaging through my make-up bag, I realized that I didn't have any red lipstick. I don't wear red lipstick often, but it's a staple most make-up kits should have, so I went out to look for an inexpensive one to use on the rare occasions that I might need one. I saw this in the NYC section of my local drugstore, and admit that it was the packaging that originally caught my attention. It's a small lipstick with a black twist-up base and a transparent round cap (unlike the square-ended caps of most lipsticks) where you could see the lipstick inside, and its silver base with the colourful NYC logo.
It only cost me slightly more than C$1, so I took it home eager to try it out. That was when I realized how impractical the packaging actually was. Because the lipstick container is compact, you cannot twist the lipstick all the way down, and thus have to be veryyy careful when replacing and taking off the cap. I accidentally pushed the cap against the lipstick, and sliced off the pointy tip of the stick. Ahhh crap.
Now onto the lipstick itself. I have a problem with dry lips, so I usually apply a lip balm base to my lips before the lipstick. I can't do that with this product though because any kind of moisture seems to keep it from applying evenly and causes it to "run" like dye on water. I even have a problem applying it to the wet upper part of my lower lip since the color seems to just disappear from there as soon as my lips touch each other.
It is touted as a "moisturizing" lipstick and it certainly didn't dry out my lips as much as I expected, but I haven't worn it yet for an extended amount of time, so I don't know how long the moisture lasts.
On the plus side, it is very pigmented, to the point that I have to be careful when applying it so that I don't have to go through the hassle of cleaning it up. Unlike most of my other lipsticks, this one is a bit harder to wipe off and I need to use more than just water to get it off my skin.
Overall, this is a great lipstick at a great price. If you're looking for those perfect bright red lips that you see on actresses or in movie posters, this is what you need! NYC just really needs to improve the packaging though.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This is a lovely Bombshell red. Sexy siren! I pair mine with a sexy cat eye, nude shadow, falsies and add a pinch of gloss and you have instant old hollywood glamour!!!!!

on 10/1/2010 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

wow! Finally enter thé review! Itls a perfect pin up red! I pair it with a red gloss by this nyc brand.love thé texture,longevity: long.i'm happy with this red lipstick!