Revlon Colourstay in Buff

Revlon Colourstay in Buff
Colourstay in Buff

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.4%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%) Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau (Water, Eau), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 4, Isostearate, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Alumina, Magnesium Sulfate, Isododecane, Boron Nitrate, Methicone, Laureth 7, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum (White Lily) Bulb Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower (Orchid) Extract, Serica (Silk Powder) (Silk), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Tribehenin, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Silica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ethylene Brassylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

on 7/27/2017 4:26:00 PM

I tried buff in dry skin foundation, it went on well and looked not to bad 70 coverage but I found it way to light at the time I was my normal pale colour I have warm toned skin and this made me look like a ghost, a ghost with nice skin but i looked dead so that's the reason I'm not into it, and the other shades are to cool toned for me so if you are like porcelain ivory than this may be perfect for you, it seemed to have staying power it didn't want to wash off so if they made my colour I would try it again.

on 2/17/2017 7:36:00 AM

Great coverage, can layer if needed, perfect color, oxidization looks surprisingly nice durning summertime since it is only slightly different from the color before oxidization, doesn't make me breakout and I can't even use certain face washes or certain face lotions or I'll break out, doesn't look cakey, perfect for spot coverage if you're going for a natural look. I will never use anything else :) if I could change anything, I wouldn't want spf in my foundation just personal preference.

on 9/21/2015 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a review (and oily versus dry formulas comparisons) for the 24hrs formula which appeared in late 2012 (I mention this because I had in the past some bottles labelled 24hrs that actually had the Softflex formula), the real 24hrs formula ingredient list begins with Cyclopentasiloxane and also contains PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone as the sixth ingredient. I own the pump bottle.

Container --------> still the old school bottle, which makes the product difficult to pour out of the bottle as the consistency is thick but, fortunately, the pump-bottle is popping up in some European countries (it has been available in Australia and Asia for 2 years)... so 3 stars for the current bottle and 5 stars for the one with pump that is to come.

Consistency --------> thick in the bottle but it seems to soften as you blend (the pump bottle seems to soften it too as it is not that thick anymore once I have pumped it on the back of my hand). Glides very easily on the skin, way more easily than the previous formula. The dry skin formula seems a bit more runny than the oily skin formula. This new formula is more stabilized than the previous Softflex one, it does not separate in the bottle anymore.

Finish --------> here is the main bad point, it can look overly cakey (the oily skin one) or overly streaky (the dry skin one) depending on how you apply this foundation. Also, the dry skin one has very tiny shimmers (I mean tiny, not the overwhelming glitters of the Photoready Airbrush Finish) which are invisible at first but become slightly visible when you buff your powder on top to set the foundation. The oily skin one has a matte look without shimmers and just a hint of satin. The oily skin one has some kind of tackiness that never dissipate until you set it with a powder, while the dry skin one contains a micro-sponge ingredient that (I suspect) neutralizes this tackiness and produce a silkier finish that looks more powdery/blurring. Honestly, calling one for oily skin and the other one for dry skin is a nonsense as the latter is not moisturizing in the least, in my opinion these are just twice the same product with only a few tweaks in the formulas to produce slighty different finishes, but both are especially designed for normal-to-oily skin types (as mine).

Application method --------> I tried first with my usual brushes (flat top), buffing the foundation into the skin (very easily I admit), but the finish was cakey (oily skin one) or uneven (dry skin one)... since I began using a Beauty-Blender-type damp sponge, I re-discovered both formulas with pleasure as the finish is way more beautiful and no longer caked on. Be careful with these foundations as they are very water sensitive (they remove easily with plain water) until they are completely set... after they set, they have some good waterproof resistance. One comment : both formulas are very soluble in plain ethanol which make them Beauty-Blender friendly (I cleanse my sponge after each use with plain ethanol and these are the sole foundations that remove completely after the cleansing process, with no stains left behind, my sponge is as clean as a new one).

Coverage --------> with one layer I get medium-to-full with the oily skin one, and light-to-medium with the dry skin one.

Color --------> as usual, Buff is my shade, a very pale beige with an olive undertones. There are some slight differences between both formulas : the oily skin one tends to be more yellow and a tiny bit lighter than the dry skin one which is more brownish and slightly darker. I can wear both with pleasure, the oily skin one in winter and the dry skin one in summer.

Oxidation --------> this does oxidize slightly as it dries but after half an hour the color stays unchanged for all day long (so do not trust the shade when freshly applied).

Setting --------> be careful with the oily skin one, powders tend to cling a lot on it because of its tackiness. To avoid creasing and settling into fine lines with both formulas (especially around the eyes), I dab one last time with my finger to smooth it and immediately set with powder, once set it does not move anymore.

Lasting power --------> once fully set, both formulas last a very long time, and seem to be waterproof. You will need a cleansing oil to remove them as a regular water-soluble cleanser will be ineffective. I said that I stuck on one single layer with both formulas because they tend to crease and collect into fine lines/pores if the layer is too thick. That happened when I applied them with a brush but I have now more control over the creasing when applying the foundation with a damp sponge (which sheers out a bit the thickness of the layer) : I loose a bit of coverage but the finish look skin-like. I do not know about the 24hrs supposed lasting power as I do not wear makeup for that long, but after 24hrs all that will be left is only traces and blotchiness.

Shine control --------> do not expect a lot of shine control with either formulas, this is not the Colorstay Whipped Creme (nor the previous Colorstay Softflex for oily skin, which was especially absorbent)... the counterpart is that your skin looks more alive rather than dull and flat.

Sun protection --------> there is no sun protection written on the bottles, but actually both offer some sun protection (as written on the bottles from Australia, Asia and Europe). The oily skin one has an SPF 15 and the dry skin one has an SPF 20.

Edit --------> I just realized why the dry skin formula has such a light coverage : the pigments deposit onto the inner surface of the bottle, giving the illusion it is always full (this does not happen with the oily skin formula), there is less pigment suspended in the foundation base, thus resulting in this lack of coverage. This is a huge problem that needs to be fixed.

I struggle to find a foundation that doesn't make me break out, but this one is perfect! the coverage is great and matches my skin light tone better than any other drug store foundation I've tried.

on 9/25/2015 1:28:00 PM

My review is for the 24hr formula for normal/dry skin. I was hoping I'd like this product a lot more since the 'buff' shade matches my skin perfectly. Aside from that though, I'm not overly impressed with this stuff. I find it can easily look cakey on my skin and seems to really draw attention to any dryness on my face. I feel like I can never get this to blend very well regardless of how I apply it. I have mixed it with a small amount of moisturizer and found that helps a bit. I also really don't like the bottle. Much prefer a pump. I don't find that this lasts me all day either. I wouldn't repurchase, not because it is the most terrible foundation I've ever used but because I'd rather try something else and for the time being, I prefer my L'Oreal True Match Lumi.

on 2/2/2017 7:42:00 PM

Very good product considering price. Comparable to the legendary Estee Lauder Double Wear, with a slightly better range of shades. Revlon seem to lean slightly grey/olive in undertone - at least in their colourstay foundations.
Revlon really could do with adding a few shades lighter (and I suspect darker too) to the line. But as far as the performance of the product itself goes, definitely would recommend if you're looking for a long wearing foundation and you have combination or oily skin. I would even go so far as to say this foundation is transfer proof, when set with a powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG....this is the best drug store foundation I have EVER used!!! I normally use estee lauder double wear.....and it really is the cheap version to it! I have very oily skin, and just like DW it lasts on me all day without a hint of shine! I think I actually prefer the shade range of this foundation to DW as I find a lot of their shades are either to pink or too yellow! All in all....great coverage and lasts all day.....so 5 lippys from me!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I love this foundation as it comes in an oily/combination skin formula as well as the normal/dry skin formula. I use shade 'Buff' which is perfect for my yellow skin tone. I would say this is a perfect, but much cheaper, dupe of Este Lauder Doublewear foundation. Same formula and feel and lasts just as long, but priced at 8.95 on eBay or 12.99 at Superdrug, compared to 27.50!

on 3/14/2015 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

My HG drugstore foundation. I'm a light NC20 and I find the shade "Buff" to be a perfect match. Medium/full coverage, easy to blend, lasts ALL FREAKIN DAY, controls my oil, doesn't need a setting powder. I apply a modest amount to the center of my face (where I need the most coverage) and blend outwards with the Expert Face Brush from Real Techniques. The key to not making this foundation look cakey is to just use a small amount, make sure your skin is moisturized, and blend, blend blend. I have some discoloration from when I had bad acne several years ago, but people always tell me they wish they had my skin. I credit this stuff for letting me fake a perfect complexion!

on 3/29/2015 12:35:00 PM

THE WORST foundation I have ever used, I had mild acne before using this, mainly on my right cheek. However, as i reached 16, it was pretty much only scaring, which I was planning to have a acid peel on in the new year. However, as the hyper pigmentation of the scaring was hard to cover, I heard this foundation had amazing coverage, and was great for oily skin! Seem'ed like a no brainer? I brought this foundation at the end of November, and by Christmas my skin had never been worse. I wish i'd left my skin alone rather than plastering it with this horrible makeup. It has left me looking like I have SEVERE acne. I now see a dermatologist and am on medication, to try and tame the mess left on my face. Oh, and I can no longer put makeup on because of the condition of my skin!

I'd say this makeup would be great for people who love full coverage, and DONT suffer from acne. However, if you're like me, and do suffer from acne & have oily skin, DO NOT BUY this makeup! It may seem like a good idea but no no no!!!! It may have looked great for a few weeks, but was not worth the damage. I hate my skin and don't even go out so much anymore. I wish I knew what this foundation could do before using it :(

It is also cakey, and i have smile lines haha, and it made them show up SO bad, I'm 16, and it looked like I was a 50 year old woman...
just don't buy this :(