Essie Little Brown Dress

Essie Little Brown Dress

4.8

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a great shade of brown. Not too warm, not too cool. Very neutral; not too dark yet a hint darker than 'medium'. I think this should be a staple if you have any sort of remote nail polish collection. The shade is flattering on so many skin tones. Essie polish can be finicky for me, but this one is smooth. No bubbling and no streaks with this one. I have OPI Suzi Loves Cowboys and OPI How Great Is your Dane, which both are close, but Little Brown Dress to me is more neutral and more universally flattering on many skin tones.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Personally, I'm not crazy for this polish--dark polish isn't really my thing. But I just couldn't dock a lipstick point. This polish is wonderful by all means--the formula was great, and the color! I loved the color in the bottle--it looked like the perfect dark chocolate color, and I ADORE dark chocolate. Of course. It dries a bit darker on the nail, so that's why I'm not madly in love with this polish. However, you could tell at once, even in dimmer lighting, that this is not a black polish, which makes this polish even better. It's sophisticated and unique, too! I don't have anything quite like this! I strongly recommend it! :)

on 3/23/2014 9:31:00 PM

I found this polish a while back at TJ Maxx. I was stoked because I had been looking for it. I'm pretty fair/pale and this does look dark for sure, but much better than black. I always use at least 2 coats of any polish. I love it and I always get compliments when I wear it. Definitely a good buy if you can find it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

A rich brown the colour of coffee or maybe a very dark chocolate. Great formula, easy, smooth application and lovely, shiny finish. Looks like a jelly-creme formula, with the nice colour depth of a jelly, but the opacity of a creme. Opaque in two coats for me.

This is a pretty dark polish, but I find that even though it is very dark, it is usually identifiable as not-black even in indirect light. It does look sort of "warm off-black" in some lighting situations, but I don't think it ever truly goes into "yep, that may as well be black" the way some dark polishes do.

This is a really lovely polish, and I can see myself wearing it a lot. I'll probably grab a backup bottle to keep on hand, in fact. I've also used this in a chocolate-mocha gradient manicure, with this as the darkest colour, and it was purely delicious looking.

Yummy polish in all respects. Didn't expect to like this one as much as I do (I thought, yeah, okay, dark brown creme, I can use one of those), but, yeah, very nice, indeed. Essie is slowly winning me over, one great polish at a time...

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love how Essie has all these edgy dark polishes that are just this side of black but just arent! This is one of them. This expresso bean brown coffee color is beautiful! My only problem with dark polishes is that chips are so noticable! :( I can never get polish to last on my nails for long so I can judge wear time. But thats ok I get bored easy.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is the first actual brown nail polish I've owned (of course I have taupe and beige colors, just never a legit brown). On my fair skin, it's a really nice, deep chocolatey brown... almost black in certain lights. It applied smoothly and was opaque in 2 coats, with the exception of some nails which were still a bit streaky. It lasts on the nails quite a while without a top coat. I've had it on my nails for about 4 days now and they're only chipping very slightly. But I'm sure with a top coat it would last a lot longer.
But I do really like this nail polish and I would recommend it. It's definitely a great fall/winter color. I plan to use it in nail art as well, which I'm excited about.

on 1/2/2013 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Nice dark chocolate cream color. Smooth formula, non-goopy, easy to apply (minimal bald spots), doesn't run or flood cuticles upon careful application. Nicely opaque consistency, but I'm always a 2-coater in general anyway to smooth out any bald/thin spots. Surprisingly long-lasting, chip-resistant formula (IME).

It's pretty much the shade of dark brown that I wanted (deep & shimmer-free) but extremely dark on the nails (especially after applying top coat, which tends to deepen polish color a little bit) that it looks virtually black in room lighting. Picture #3 listed above is accurate (& similar to my winter skintone too).

Makes a great dark base for special-effects polishes layered on top. I might lighten this super-dark shade a bit with a little white polish sometime in the future so it could look more brown instead of almost black (but not as light as milk chocolate brown). If that works out well, I'd buy this again. Bought online @ lower cost since store prices are insanely high.

on 8/19/2012 6:49:00 AM

Fabulous dark chocolate shade. Elegant, sophisticated. High gloss finish. Long lasting.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is a great dark espresso type brown color. Very fall appropriate. I have very pale skin and it doesn't wash me out as much as a straignt black color, but still has all or the contrast that I love.

It actually looks black most of the time, but if you are in bright artificial light or outside it definitely has a brown hint to it. I added a picture in artificial light as well as a picture of the true bottle color.

Essies formula is somewhat strange to me. It's streaky, but slightly goopy at the same time.. I only use one coat, but go over every nail about 3 times to keep it looking presentable. It goes on flat and opaque with one coat, and dries fast.

The biggest issue I have with Essie is the small thin brush.. It's honestly one of the worst brushes of all polishes I have used. You would think that for close to $8 they would fix that. O well, good thing they have gerat colors!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

This is exactly the dark chocolate color I was craving for fall. Thanks to a MUA'er who recommended this, because I had never gotten Essie polish before. The color is opaque, applies beautifully and lasts forever. It looks so dark and rich, its almost black in dim light. I like to wear it with black peep-toes for the color contrast to stand out. Overall, this polish is amazing and totally recommend it.

Popular Polishes