Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

on 10/26/2017 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love the vintage packaging & the crazy amount of powder you’re getting, that literally going to last forever! Not to mention to affordable price.
It’s not a travel- friendly tho, since it’s so bulky.

I use it for the “baking technique”, but as a setting powder- it’s too drying on my normal-dry skin. Maybe more suitable for oily skin?
It’s also have a pinkish hue, that (some what) mess with the color of the foundation.
As to date, I own seven different “translusant” powders
(RCMA, Coty, elf, NYC,innisfree,Rimmel,essence)
All of them contain a white, yellowish, pinkish hue,
That ״interfering״ with the foundation to some extent, this on is no exception.

I don't understand why this powder is called translucent when there's pigment to it. It's very pink, I'm sick of all this pink foundation and powder, no ones skin is pink, no one wants a pink hue to their skin. It's somewhat beige also, so it's useable. I don't understand why they can't make these off white. It does silightly make my foundation look a weird color and uneven.
I hate how there's a lot of shimmer in it, who wants their entire face shimmery? We wouldn't want shimmer in foundation, so why in powder?
It does keep oil away, I haven't noticed my face feeling dry and tight from it. It has a perfume smell, but not horribly, I haven't noticed this breaking out my face yet. The price is decent.
UPDATE: This broke my face out horribly, they really need to make face powders with gentle ingredients. The ingridents are obviously way to harsh or should not be used on the face to clog pores that bad and cause breakouts.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I loved this powder for years when it was about the only DS loose powder you could find. I would love to love it. It has a great smell, but that means perfumes, and it is talc-based, not mineral-based. So, it oxidizes quickly, mixes with liquid foundation and creates a shiny film, and it does get everywhere. And you have to set your face with a setting spray or you look very powdery even with puff, sponge, or brush after you apply it.

I have acne-prone skin and I break out with this product if I wear it a full day. I always come home and wash my face immediately if I do use it. Sadly, I think I have to retire this good ole standby and stick to the mineral powders.

EDIT: So, I tossed this and then kept seeing all the positive reviews, then started lemming, so I bought another one haha. I think my old powder may have been too old and that was causing breakouts. I have not had any comedones with the new/fresh powder. Also, performance does vary with different foundations. With more dewy foundations, the powder mixes with them to create a sort of film. If you use the Wayne Goss method (or whomever should get credit for this) and press the powder into your foundation, it performs much better. If your foundation is matte, the powder tends to look 'powdery' longer, but performs better. YMMV

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

The only thing that deserves 5 stars about this, is the packaging. I love vintage cosmetics, and Coty is good about keeping that very vintage packaging. Let me just warn my fellow acne prone, oily ladies because this stuff severely broke me out. I do have very sensitive skin, and I should have known by the awful perfume fragrance not to risk it, but I did. I honestly gave it a shot after my favorite YouTubers swear by this, but I still don't see why. It oxidized tremendously, smells awful, and makes a huge mess. Rimmel match perfection loose powder is 100% better than this, and sets to perfection making your skin look airbrushed.

This powder is just a really good powder for setting and highlighting if you know how to use it. Its the best setting powder you can get at any drugstore. The main ingredient is talc and there's a lot of it so it's very easy to over powder how ever you can mist it away with your favorite setting spray. I've used almost all the Shades my favorite is the luminous, naturally neutral and translucent. Honey beige and translucent extra coverage are very powdery looking for some reason. Anyway I loved this powder and use it almost everyday for 5 years.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

The smell is something you have to get used too, but over all I love this product!

on 8/24/2016 8:52:00 AM

So I actually really like this stuff. The only thing was the smell the first time was so shocking. It's soooo strong like old lady perfume smell. But I've gotten used to it now. I've found that I had to get the balance right with this. The first time I used it it left my face pretty pale but now I've been using it to bake my highlighted spots and I really like the outcome. I'm a realy pale too but it made my highlighted areas stay and pop and look airbrushed. Would buy again if I ever run out because it's a ton in there.

I fell for the "This is an amazing vintage product available at your local drugstore! It's a cult favorite among the women from the 1940's and 1950's. Oh and don't forget, it's vintage!" hype that someone started on YouTube with this powder. So I got excited and bought it because quite frankly I don't think translucent setting powder is worth spending $40 on... ( *cough* Laura Mercier.)
However, this is not an amazing translucent powder. If you have normal to dry skin I suggest you stay away from this because it will cause your complexion to look well... powdery and chalky.
I have the Translucent Extra Coverage because it was the only one on the shelf and maybe the Translucent version would be better but it is becoming increasingly hard to find. Anyways, this does not resemble the setting powders on the market nowadays that appear invisible (duh, it's from 1930). This sits on the surface of the skin making it apparent you're wearing powder and it has a whitish finish.

I'll keep this around to create an Edwardian era makeup look for Halloween but that's about it.

UPDATE 08/21: Alright y'all I decided to give this another go in a different color to see if anything is different. Ordered shade "Naturally Neutral" off Amazon for $10.75 and I must say the results are much better than Translucent Extra Coverage. Naturally Neutral has a fleshy nude tone and actually appears more translucent on my fair skin. I would say this one is more comparable to the higher end options. I still use sparingly to avoid a powdery face but this I will actually use to set my foundation.
Other shade options are Honey Beige, Rosey Beige, Sun Tan and Translucent (which looks even whiter than Translucent Extra Coverage).

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for about a week and I'm loving it! I use it to "bake" and it works perfectly. I have oily skin and it has helped keep it under control. I also love the smell! I reminds me of the way Cabbage Patch dolls used to smell when I was a kid!lol

on 1/26/2016 12:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used to use this powder many years ago but the container it was in broke, so I threw the whole thing out. I never repurchased and totally forgot about this powder. I proceeded to buy tons of high end and drugstore loose and pressed powders; I wanted to try them all. As I got older, I started noticing how my foundation and setting powder were settling into my laugh lines. I started experimenting with all of my many powders to try and find one that would stay put and not settle; nothing was working. Then I saw someone on YouTube mention the Coty powder as one of their yearly favorites and a lightbulb went off for me. I hunted it down at my local Wal-Mart; the shade I used to use was the Translucent Extra Coverage but I compared that shade next to the Naturally Neutral and went with the Naturally Neutral. I’m very fair (my foundation is Mac Face and Body in N1) and the Translucent Extra Coverage seemed much pinker and darker than the Naturally Neutral; I vaguely remembered that the Translucent shade sometimes used to end up looking too pink on me. The shade I picked ended up being perfect and I want to smack myself for forgetting about this powder because it is amazing. None of my many other powders keep my skin as matte and perfect looking as this stuff does; I wear my foundation and powder for 10-11 hours a day and with this powder I only have to blot once a day. But the best thing about this powder is that it stays put and doesn’t settle into my laugh lines; I’ve also started setting my under eye concealer with this powder and its incredible (doesn’t settle into my fine lines and just smooth's everything out). I love this powder so much that I’m almost tempted to get rid of my other powders; I might get the nerve up to purge them soon.

While reading other reviews for this powder I see that there are two main complaints with this powder. The first is the fragrance but I have to disagree; I absolutely love the way this powder smells because it makes me think of my Grandmother and Aunt. Even if you don’t like the smell it dissipates almost immediately after you apply it. The other complaint is the packaging but I don’t have any issues with the packaging; mine in in the newer plastic container with a sifter. It doesn’t make any more of a mess than other loose powders I’ve ever used; I think no matter what you do, loose powders are going to make a little mess.