Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

on 1/30/2018 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This retro-cheap powder has been around for decades. I have not used it since the 90's. It is very cheap but cut with talc and other fillers. Not great - but not the worst. thankfully, it did NOT make me break out back then. Not sure about now (My skin was combo/oily back then and now is dry.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about this powder. The price? A steal. The packaging is adorable and classic. The powder is a finely milled translucent shade that doesn't look cakey or leave a white residue. It also doesn't make my pores look bigger, which looking back, was an issue with the Maybelline loose powder I had used previously.

It is impossible to use "too much" of this powder, I put it all over my face and bake with it too, and somehow it doesn't cling to any areas or look ashen. Baking the undereyes with this is easy, I take the powder puff it comes with, fold it in half, dip it into a pile of the loose powder, then dab it along my undereyes and the highpoints of my cheekbones, under my cheek contour, and a bit on the Cupid's bow and center of my chin. It will mattify you GOOD, to the point where you may not need a single touch up in an 8 hour day, so if you are a dewy skin lover or a au natural type, this might be too much for every day wear.

For a long time I thought loose powder was loose powder, you've seen one you've seen em all, and boy was I WRONG... this blows other loose powders from the drugstore away (I haven't used Nyx HD in a while so I'm not sure how it compares to that one, but the others, yes), and gives the coveted Laura Mercier offering a run for its money. And indeed, that is a great powder as well, but for $40... hmm I'll stick with my Coty for the time being :)

on 10/26/2017 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really love the vintage packaging
(Starred in one of Mad Men episode, FYI :)
So, if it’s good enough for Betty... lol!
You’re getting crazy amount of powder
(2.3 oz/65 g) that literally going to last u forever!
In a ridiculously price point.
For the “baking technique” - it bright the undereyes beautifully, but that goes for the rest of the face as well. it’s definitely *not translucent* due to the pinkish hue- if you’re consider to use it as a setting powder.
Also, It’s heavily fragrance which is a throwback for me, and a bit “heavy” & drying for my normal-dry skin. I can see why this is a cult favorite,
but Maybe more suitable for oily skin types.
Moving on to the next..

I don't understand why this powder is called translucent when there's pigment to it. It's very pink, I'm sick of all this pink foundation and powder, no ones skin is pink, no one wants a pink hue to their skin. It's somewhat beige also, so it's useable. I don't understand why they can't make these off white. It does silightly make my foundation look a weird color and uneven.
I hate how there's a lot of shimmer in it, who wants their entire face shimmery? We wouldn't want shimmer in foundation, so why in powder?
It does keep oil away, I haven't noticed my face feeling dry and tight from it. It has a perfume smell, but not horribly, I haven't noticed this breaking out my face yet. The price is decent.
UPDATE: This broke my face out horribly, they really need to make face powders with gentle ingredients. The ingridents are obviously way to harsh or should not be used on the face to clog pores that bad and cause breakouts.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I loved this powder for years when it was about the only DS loose powder you could find. I would love to love it. It has a great smell, but that means perfumes, and it is talc-based, not mineral-based. So, it oxidizes quickly, mixes with liquid foundation and creates a shiny film, and it does get everywhere. And you have to set your face with a setting spray or you look very powdery even with puff, sponge, or brush after you apply it.

I have acne-prone skin and I break out with this product if I wear it a full day. I always come home and wash my face immediately if I do use it. Sadly, I think I have to retire this good ole standby and stick to the mineral powders.

EDIT: So, I tossed this and then kept seeing all the positive reviews, then started lemming, so I bought another one haha. I think my old powder may have been too old and that was causing breakouts. I have not had any comedones with the new/fresh powder. Also, performance does vary with different foundations. With more dewy foundations, the powder mixes with them to create a sort of film. If you use the Wayne Goss method (or whomever should get credit for this) and press the powder into your foundation, it performs much better. If your foundation is matte, the powder tends to look 'powdery' longer, but performs better. YMMV

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

The only thing that deserves 5 stars about this, is the packaging. I love vintage cosmetics, and Coty is good about keeping that very vintage packaging. Let me just warn my fellow acne prone, oily ladies because this stuff severely broke me out. I do have very sensitive skin, and I should have known by the awful perfume fragrance not to risk it, but I did. I honestly gave it a shot after my favorite YouTubers swear by this, but I still don't see why. It oxidized tremendously, smells awful, and makes a huge mess. Rimmel match perfection loose powder is 100% better than this, and sets to perfection making your skin look airbrushed.

This powder is just a really good powder for setting and highlighting if you know how to use it. Its the best setting powder you can get at any drugstore. The main ingredient is talc and there's a lot of it so it's very easy to over powder how ever you can mist it away with your favorite setting spray. I've used almost all the Shades my favorite is the luminous, naturally neutral and translucent. Honey beige and translucent extra coverage are very powdery looking for some reason. Anyway I loved this powder and use it almost everyday for 5 years.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

The smell is something you have to get used too, but over all I love this product!

on 8/24/2016 8:52:00 AM

So I actually really like this stuff. The only thing was the smell the first time was so shocking. It's soooo strong like old lady perfume smell. But I've gotten used to it now. I've found that I had to get the balance right with this. The first time I used it it left my face pretty pale but now I've been using it to bake my highlighted spots and I really like the outcome. I'm a realy pale too but it made my highlighted areas stay and pop and look airbrushed. Would buy again if I ever run out because it's a ton in there.

I fell for the "This is an amazing vintage product available at your local drugstore! It's a cult favorite among the women from the 1940's and 1950's. Oh and don't forget, it's vintage!" hype that someone started on YouTube with this powder. So I got excited and bought it because quite frankly I don't think translucent setting powder is worth spending $40 on... ( *cough* Laura Mercier.)
However, this is not an amazing translucent powder. If you have normal to dry skin I suggest you stay away from this because it will cause your complexion to look well... powdery and chalky.
I have the Translucent Extra Coverage because it was the only one on the shelf and maybe the Translucent version would be better but it is becoming increasingly hard to find. Anyways, this does not resemble the setting powders on the market nowadays that appear invisible (duh, it's from 1930). This sits on the surface of the skin making it apparent you're wearing powder and it has a whitish finish.

I'll keep this around to create an Edwardian era makeup look for Halloween but that's about it.

UPDATE 08/21: Alright y'all I decided to give this another go in a different color to see if anything is different. Ordered shade "Naturally Neutral" off Amazon for $10.75 and I must say the results are much better than Translucent Extra Coverage. Naturally Neutral has a fleshy nude tone and actually appears more translucent on my fair skin. I would say this one is more comparable to the higher end options. I still use sparingly to avoid a powdery face but this I will actually use to set my foundation.
Other shade options are Honey Beige, Rosey Beige, Sun Tan and Translucent (which looks even whiter than Translucent Extra Coverage).