Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.6

on 6/17/2016 11:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I bought this powder in "translucent." As my fellow WoC know, translucent does not necessarily mean translucent for anyone who isn't fair skinned. I'm tan (I would definitely be considered light on the tan spectrum) and this powder leaves a nasty pale cast on my face and dulls my complexion. It not only lightens my skin but the color of the powder cancels out my natural warmth and glow. Not to mention the smell is unpleasant (think 99 year old woman in a retirement home) and disturbingly overpowering. The smell does fade, but to me this product is nowhere near worth its downsides.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I bought Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder in Translucent Extra Coverage 070-41 for $6 or $7 from Kmart. This is a very fine powder that I both use as a foundation & to set my makeup on days I wear liquid/crme foundation. This powder does provide coverage, but it's nothing extraordinary. I admit I did not keep it mind that this is a powder; I was expecting literal coverage like a powder foundationthat's my fault. This powder does cover more than most others, but it's not wow.

I mostly wear this alone simply to cut down on shine & cut excess oil on my face. However, it's not too long-lasting & I'd have to reapply it if I carried it around with me. To be fair, though, I do have seriously oily skin & the majority of powders don't stay on my face for an extended period of time anyway. I have to reapply or touch up throughout the day & I don't like to do that because although the shade I got is translucent, it leaves a white cast on my face if I touch up too much or use a heavy hand while applying. I use the puffy applicator provided. The only complaint I have about Airspun is their smell. It's extremely fragranced. The smell is very strong & not the most pleasant, but it does fade away.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have the translucent extra coverage version. It does an excellent job of controlling oil and excess shine. It doesn't leave a cakey appearance, but it does have a strong scent. Luckily it is tolerable for me. I found mine at Walmart for about $5.99. One con I can say that it has is the packaging. It comes with a powder puff that doesn't distribuet the powder well onto my face. The holes also release too much powder. I took the advice of others and left the clear sticker on and poked my own holes that way not too much powder is wasted or spilt. It worked like a charm. I also recommend using your own favorite face powder brush. So far, it hasn't broke me out or clogged my pores. Crossing my fingers on this one.

on 2/23/2014 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Love it. I wear the translucent powder over a light coverage BB cream, it's a very fresh look and stays on all day. My face doesn't get oily, I like the smell, both my grandma and my mom have used this powder at some point in their lives, so it's very nostalgic!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Actually I was out looking for for Black Opal's brand of translucent powder, but since it wasn't any where in my immediate area, I picked this up from my nearby CVS. Pretty apprehensive, I put it on after my foundation and it was ashy at first, but after I gave it a few minutes to "settle", it was matte and perfect. I'm not a super oily girl, but it kept it in check in 80 degree weather, good stuff. 2 drawbacks: it was quite the b*tch to open at first and the scent although pleasant reminded me of an older woman. I can overlook the latter. Oh, and the puff that came with it was useless, so I used my own. Otherwise great product. :)

on 4/25/2013 6:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This is THE best powder I have ever used! I have this in translucent and it really does live up to all of the hype and good reviews. For one thing, it blurs the pores very well and reduces shine. I have combination skin, it's very dry and flaky in some areas but my T-zone always gets very oily (I mean VERY oily! It looks like I applied olive oil directly onto my forehead nose and chin sometimes!) and this product keeps my face fairly matte looking for a few hours (I'd say 3 on a "bad" skin day, 5 or 6 on a good one) before I need to blot or touch it up. As far as I'm concerned, it really is translucent. I can't see it on my skin at all and it doesn't wash me out in pictures like some people have claimed. However, it is the beginning of the spring so I'm not tan yet, and I do tend to get very dark in the summer so maybe that's when I'll see it, but it's nothing a bit of bronzer can't fix. :) Over full foundation, this powder looks flawless and fantastic, but even on days where I just wear concealer it still looks great. It does have a distinct smell, but I don't mind it at all, and it doesn't smell on the face, either.

All in all, this is a really great product for such a low price. The best powder I've ever tried, and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have this product in "Translucent." I've been using this for a while, so I think I can review it now. First off, my skin is naturally quite dry and doesn't really produce oil on its own; however, I slather my face in sunscreen and moisturizer every day, so I can sometimes look a bit greasy when I step out of the house. So I can't speak to wear time if your skin is actively producing oil, but I do know how it applies and looks on skin that's got some oil on it already. Simple fact is, this powder actually does a great job of mattifying without making my skin look overly chalky or "oddly" matte. There's still a slight glow to my skin, but I don't leave the house looking like a greaseball. Second of all, that finish lasts all day; it doesn't look like the powder wears off my skin at all (although, as I said, my skin doesn't actively produce much oil, so your mileage may vary as with all face products).

There is a gentle, slightly sweet fragrance to the product, so you may want to skip this if your skin is sensitive to that kind of thing. I personally find it quite pleasant and not overpowering, sharp, or "chemical" at all. The product comes packaged in a tub with two lids: the upper one comes off easily and reveals a puff, and the one under the puff you have to pry up with your fingernails. I prefer a fluffy brush for powder application, but I've used the puff a few times and it applies okay as well.

Ultimately, whether you like this product will be entirely dependent on your skin chemistry and type. But I'd encourage you to give it a try--especially if you're not ultra-oily, you just want a nice silky smooth matte finish to your skin (which is the big runway makeup trend this year, as opposed to the bright dewy faces we've seen in previous springs). I will probably repurchase when I run out--which will take a while, there's a TON of product in there--because it's a nice, easy to use, no-fuss product that does exactly what I want it to.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really love this powder! As a makeup collector, I'm surprised that it took me so long to try this out. I think it is an essential worth checking out for anyone that collects makeup, or loves learning about the history of makeup! After doing some researching I found out a lot of cool stuff about this specific product. Apparently the powder puff design on the package (used to be an orange cardboard package, it has since been repackaged in a plastic container with a sifter, but still has the original orange powder puff design on the lid) was designed by a set designer for the Russian Ballet in the 1930s. Which leads me to the next point, this powder has been around since 1935. This means they must be doing something right! Makeup items are constantly being discontinued, so the fact that this has been around for 78 years is a testament to it's greatness!

As far as performance, I think it is a great addition to my powder collection. I brush this over my face when I'm done with all my makeup, and I do not have to touch up all day! It lasts for a FULL 8hr work/college day. That's amazing. I also like the fact that you get a lot of product for the price which is around $5-$6 depending on where you get it. I also own the Chanel loose powder which I paid a little over $52 for and I have to say, I prefer this. It's a lot more finely milled, and it holds my oils back a lot better. I really wish I would have found this before I picked up the Chanel.

This comes in a variety of colors, as well as a few translucent shades, which could work for everyone.

I know one of the big topics about this is the smell. It's a strong mature scent that reminds me a lot of my great grandmother, but once it's on the face, you cannot smell it at all. Although, if you're really sensitive to smells, or you just have super sensitive skin in general (I have pretty sensitive skin and the original scented version has never broken me out) there is an unscented version, and it comes in a teal box.

Regardless of which version you get, I definitely recommend leaving the plastic sticker that comes over the holes on the product and only poking a few of the holes out, otherwise this product gets very messy.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this product. I love that it's such a staple in makeup history (looks awesome sitting out on my vintage style vanity), and I love that it's a quality product that really works to keep my makeup in place, and keep my skin shine free, while looking natural and not cakey! Definite repurchase, if I ever run out!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I LOVE THIS POWDER!!! I don't even mind the smell. I actually love the way it smells. It has a vintagey grandma smell lol but I actually like it and hope they never change the smell.

The powder sets my foundation very well and I rarely need to touch up my face when I apply this powder. Love this!!!!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've had this powder for over a year and I haven't even made a dent in it! You don't need much and there's so much product. I have the round "box" version and yes it smells like an old lady but I don't mind it, like everyone says it reminds me of the old vintage vanity's and glamour :-) it sets my makeup like no other, and makes my skin look flawless. I don't think I'll run out any time soon, but I'm going to buy a couple for back up, some reviews said its discontinued and that scares me! Lol as it is, its already hard to find usually always sold out, so better safe then sorry. All in all, its a wonderful powder, sets beautifully and never looks cakey. Love it!