Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Price: $

on 9/6/2017 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got a great recommendation for this as a dupe for a more expensive product and NOPE. The "translucent" was too pink. It irritated my skin, so even if I liked it I couldn't have kept using it, so if you have sensitive skin, stay away from this. I later learned they do make an unscented version, but too late. That ship has sailed. Why did I even give it two lippies? Because the price is great, the packaging is cool and vintagey, and it's not the sh*ttiest powder in the world, for someone whose skin can take it.

on 7/9/2017 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hello oily skin ppl,
You need this in your life!
The oil-control of this powder is out of this world! I love to bake with it and it never accentuate my fine lines.
Normally my face becomes oily after 3-4 hours, but baking with this powder can last me 8 hours without touching up. My foundation is totally locked and does not transfer after baking. Even after 8 hours, i simply just dab my face with a tissue and my makeup is fresh again!
I know the scent is overpowering, but it reminds me of my grandma and i miss her...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Classic. Best setting powder for the price. I only wish they would turn down the perfume! I use the translucent to set everything from foundation to lipstick. Great stuff!

on 5/2/2017 5:44:00 PM

For oily skin I think this would be great. However, I have combo/dry skin and it's not friendly with my dry areas. (even when I try to avoid those areas) I also think the fragrance inside (smells like grandma, which isn't bad but...) breaks me out. Powder is pretty finely milled but feels heavy on my skin, probably due to the drying factor. (my skin being dry)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I loved this powder for years when it was about the only DS loose powder you could find. I would love to love it. It has a great smell, but that means perfumes, and it is talc-based, not mineral-based. So, it oxidizes quickly, mixes with liquid foundation and creates a shiny film, and it does get everywhere. And you have to set your face with a setting spray or you look very powdery even with puff, sponge, or brush after you apply it.

I have acne-prone skin and I break out with this product if I wear it a full day. I always come home and wash my face immediately if I do use it. Sadly, I think I have to retire this good ole standby and stick to the mineral powders.

EDIT: So, I tossed this and then kept seeing all the positive reviews, then started lemming, so I bought another one haha. I think my old powder may have been too old and that was causing breakouts. I have not had any comedones with the new/fresh powder. Also, performance does vary with different foundations. With more dewy foundations, the powder mixes with them to create a sort of film. If you use the Wayne Goss method (or whomever should get credit for this) and press the powder into your foundation, it performs much better. If your foundation is matte, the powder tends to look 'powdery' longer, but performs better. YMMV

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This does cover good and make your pores look smaller but it smells horribly, breaks me out and gets everywhere.

on 11/21/2016 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you watch day time tv ever, you've probably seen the lawyer commercials encouraging you to call them if you or a loved one was diagnosed or died of ovarian cancer after using talc/talcum powder. There have been some recent studies indicating talc increases the chance of ovarian cancer, which is usually fatal by the time it's diagnosed, and 2-3 large jury verdicts in court (which as sure to be substantially reduced on appeal). Talc is found in a good few face powders too, esp old ones.

You don't apply talc directly to your ovaries to increase your risk/development of ovarian cancer: you just put it on your skin, which is the largest organ of your body. Think of it as laying in a cancer bed or out in the sun. It's an unnecessary, ridiculous risk, it's totally avoidable, and you can do without a form of cancer that often isn't caught until it's affected other organs, causing another cancer that's readily noticeable.

Talc is the primary ingredient in this great grandma powder. I'm 45, and this was some stuff one or two of my GREAT grandmas had on hand. It still smells like it's been sitting in on a vanity for 125 years, just like it did back in 1976. It's cool that it carried a color called Rachel (a fair that shows up almost white), but it's crap.

I'm not joking about that. If you're still using this stuff, you need to stop immediately & check labels for being talc-free--ovarian cancer is esp ugly & can strike YOUNG (I had a cousin who died from it at 32). Everything new on the market, and there's plenty for the same price, have beautiful finishes & don't get thick on the skin like Coty's Airspun does. It has so much dry white talc, it delivers a visible layer right out the gate & pulls way ahead with additional layers. It has to have other tinted pigments to tame the talc! And sure it has some absorbency, but think about putting a lot of body powder in your shoes & wearing them barefoot after a work out: the excess powder clumps up/looks clumpy. I would venture to say it the absolute bottom of the market in performance.

Please don't buy this. It smells 125 years old, everybody can see you're wearing powder that's too light b/c how much white talc is in it, & talc, the primary ingredient, is known carcinogen for a cancer that usually isn't caught until it's a very high death risk (as is SKIN CANCER, mademoiselles). Throw it away and enjoy the pursuit of so many delightful powders out there that deliver angelic finishes while doing what else you want it to.

When I first bought into the hype and tried this powder, I absolutely hated it. It looked cakey over my foundation and clumped up around my forehead and nose no matter how I prepped my skin, what foundation I used, and how I applied the powder (baking, very light dusting, nada). I couldn't justify throwing it away with how much powder was left, so Airspun ended up being tossed to the back of my collection.

BUT THEN. I was looking for a powder foundation with medium coverage that I could wear on a daily basis with minimal touch ups. I decided to experiment and pulled out Airspun again, instead buffing it into my mostly bare skin (on top of moisturizer and concealer) with a round top kabuki. And it was love.

I have combination skin that's been on the oily side lately, and while I've been having issues with my face getting shiny a few hours later, this powder kept my skin matte and velvety all day--maybe even a little TOO matte (which is an error on my part; I could have benefited from the use of a highlighter). I have a few acne scars and discoloration, and while they were not completely covered they were less noticeable and my skin looked nicer overall. Wearing it this way did not look cakey whatsoever, and it's nice to know it still serves a purpose for me. I have Translucent Extra Coverage, and its undertone is a little too neutral for my NC30 skin, but nothing that bothers me too much. My blush and bronzer went on smoothly on top of this, and I have no other complaints.

Bottom line: if baking or setting with Coty Airspun didn't work for you, try using it as a powder foundation!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I heard some good things about this product on YouTube. I mainly purchased with the intent of using as a setting powder for under my eyes and maybe to control some shine in my t-zone. I purchased the regular version of this in translucent. I hear there's a sensitive skin formula, which I wish I would have seen at the store. I got mine at Wal-mart for around $7.00 USD with taxes. It does come with tons of product so I thought that was a very good price.

The product is very heavily scented. This has been on the market for many, many years and it sure smells like an old lady's perfume! It's very strong. I don't care for it, but it wears away after time. The powder itself is lovely and very finely milled. It does help set my make up well. My biggest gripe is that it broke me out. I have very sensitive skin so it's probably the fragrance that's in the product causing the irritation. I had to get rid of it. I would maybe buy the sensitive skin version in the future. Truth be told I prefer pressed powders way more. Less messy.

on 7/18/2016 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in Translucent Extra Coverage and really like it very much. It does have a bit of a flowery scent (I don't love it) but it dissipates fast. The powder is VERY FINELY MILLED and it really melds into the skin beautifully. I use it to set my concealer, BB cream and/or foundation. It also could be worn along on a warm day, just for something light and natural over moisturized skin. The amount of product is enormous - I am not sure I will ever finish it all! I do use a brush or a sponge, not the puff that comes with it. I feel I have better control that way. I put a little bit into the lid and swirl it around with my brush in there, tap off excess and have at it. Really great product and a true bargain.