Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Price: $

on 9/6/2017 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got a great recommendation for this as a dupe for a more expensive product and NOPE. The "translucent" was too pink. It irritated my skin, so even if I liked it I couldn't have kept using it, so if you have sensitive skin, stay away from this. I later learned they do make an unscented version, but too late. That ship has sailed. Why did I even give it two lippies? Because the price is great, the packaging is cool and vintagey, and it's not the sh*ttiest powder in the world, for someone whose skin can take it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I loved this powder for years when it was about the only DS loose powder you could find. I would love to love it. It has a great smell, but that means perfumes, and it is talc-based, not mineral-based. So, it oxidizes quickly, mixes with liquid foundation and creates a shiny film, and it does get everywhere. And you have to set your face with a setting spray or you look very powdery even with puff, sponge, or brush after you apply it.

I have acne-prone skin and I break out with this product if I wear it a full day. I always come home and wash my face immediately if I do use it. Sadly, I think I have to retire this good ole standby and stick to the mineral powders.

EDIT: So, I tossed this and then kept seeing all the positive reviews, then started lemming, so I bought another one haha. I think my old powder may have been too old and that was causing breakouts. I have not had any comedones with the new/fresh powder. Also, performance does vary with different foundations. With more dewy foundations, the powder mixes with them to create a sort of film. If you use the Wayne Goss method (or whomever should get credit for this) and press the powder into your foundation, it performs much better. If your foundation is matte, the powder tends to look 'powdery' longer, but performs better. YMMV

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I heard some good things about this product on YouTube. I mainly purchased with the intent of using as a setting powder for under my eyes and maybe to control some shine in my t-zone. I purchased the regular version of this in translucent. I hear there's a sensitive skin formula, which I wish I would have seen at the store. I got mine at Wal-mart for around $7.00 USD with taxes. It does come with tons of product so I thought that was a very good price.

The product is very heavily scented. This has been on the market for many, many years and it sure smells like an old lady's perfume! It's very strong. I don't care for it, but it wears away after time. The powder itself is lovely and very finely milled. It does help set my make up well. My biggest gripe is that it broke me out. I have very sensitive skin so it's probably the fragrance that's in the product causing the irritation. I had to get rid of it. I would maybe buy the sensitive skin version in the future. Truth be told I prefer pressed powders way more. Less messy.

on 2/28/2016 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

this loose powder is great. its very finely milled and completely undetectable on the face and it is also one of the longest lasting ive tried so far. however, it has a strong herbal scent to it making me wanna choke every time i put it on in the morning and the scent lingers for hours - not good. other than that, this powder is one of the best out there. i would've given it 5 lippies if it wasnt for the strong fragrance. too bad.

on 12/26/2015 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Holy freaking amazing powder!! This has been around since the 1930s and I can see why. I picked this up in Traslucent Extra Coverage. It's a huge amount of product, finely milled. I'm sure it'll last me a year or more easily. I picked this up at my local Walmart after hunting it down in the makeup aisles. It's definitely hidden in Walmart but something every makeup enthusiast should own. The price is spot on. It's capabilites are endless. You can set concealer, foundation, body makeup, bake with it, and probably more I haven't even discovered yet. I'm really in love with Coty. It's everything I need in a setting powder. There's a certain smell to Coty but it's not bothersome and goes away as soon as applied. In fact it reminds me of my great grandmother but in the best way!!! Holy GRAIL. I'll never stop purchasing this ever. I'm in heaven every day using this. It's a lovely, lovely product. Damn girl pick you up some of this!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

***UPDATE 02/04/2017***
Changed rating from 4 to 3, this was definitely something that caused some skin issues for me. I didn't think it did for the longest time but since testing out the Laura Mercier loose powder I noticed how much more comfortable my skin felt while wearing makeup with it versus the Coty. Pretty sure the fragrance in this irritates my skin. Definitely much prefer the Laura Mercier.
_________________________

I was very surprised with this powder. I've been using this off and on for 1 1/2 years and it's something I keep coming back to. I have this in Naturally Neutral and it lightens my foundation a little (NC37-40) but I use bronzer so I don't mind. I have very oily skin, I've tried a lot of powders ranging from high end to drugstore and this powder is one of the best at controlling oil and making your makeup really last (it's right up there with Tarte Smooth Operator). The thing I love most about it though, is its ability to cover pores and texture so well. It honestly does it better than any powder I've used in recent years which really wowed me. I have some minor texture scarring from old acne on the lower half of my cheeks and this smooths them out to the point where they're barely noticeable and my skin looks even. I also notice this evens out the look of pimples quite a bit. Under very harsh lighting and another time at a resturaunt one day my sister commented how smooth my skin looked and both times I had this powder on. So it really does help even out the surface but it doesn't really provide coverage. It's pretty finely milled but I wouldn't say super finely milled. It does have a bit of heft but I wouldn't say it's a super heavy powder neither. It does make your skin feel super smooth and perfectly set though. Now, I have a very differentiating opinion when it comes to using this under your eyes to set or "bake". I don't like it under my eyes at all. It makes it look dry and crepey. I don't have bad fine lines, my eye area isn't that dry and I moisturize well but it's just too heavy for that area in my opinion. So I set my undereyes with a different powder. This has a very strong scent to it but the scent doesn't stay on your face. I'd say it completely goes away within 20-30 minutes. I also have sensitive, acne prone, highly reactive skin and this doesn't break me out (though I do use primer and a lot of foundation underneath). Overall, this is one of my favorite loose powders. There's just something about it that beats others. I can never find something that blurs my pores and smooths my texture while making my makeup last quite like this one does. I will say, my favorite way to use this is to mix it with other powders to make them smooth out my skin even better. Love it!

on 8/23/2015 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First thing...something in here irritated my skin...so I can't keep using it. BUT wow this did give me flawless looking pinup girl skin! And the smell...I hate it on me. But it reminds me of my favorite teacher back in grade school in the early 80's. She was young, eager, very sweet & the prettiest lady I had ever seen up to that point. She smelled like this powder...it was a surreal flashback when I put it on. So if you don't have a reaction & don't mind the scent...try this! It is a cheap gem! I got mine at Walgreens.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am oily/combo and always need to set whatever foundation I am wearing with a powder. Coty is one of the better powders I've used. First of all, you get a massive amount of product for only like $6 or $7. Second, it's very finely milled and doesn't give you that very cakey, powdery look that many powders give, no matter how much you put on. I just buff it around my whole face with a RT powder brush and I am good to go. Sure, my nose does get a little shiny throughout the day but it does that even when I'm not wearing makeup but it's not an oil slick, and the rest of my face stays matte. This powder works well with any foundation I use.

Yes, the powder does have a very perfumey smell but I don't mind it. It wears off quite quickly.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Loved everything about this powder... Except it broke me out really bad. Only reason I wouldn't repurchase though! My skin looked awesome after using this to set my foundation and it kept my oily skin matte--a miracle! Sadly, I retuned it since it didn't work for me. If you aren't acne-prone, though, I would highly recommend!

on 7/13/2013 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff. It leaves my skin looking flawless without being cakey. The Neutral is pale enough for me without being overly pinky. I love the powder puff in it... this would be my HG powder, except... that fragrance.

I wish they'd make an unscented version. I'd buy it in bulk.