Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

on 5/12/2012 1:23:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Just seen the box and reached down and bought it! I have seen my mother use this Airspun face powder many times as a child. After opening the box to see what was inside, the smell brought back so many memories. During the war we had very little comforts, but some how she was always able to keep a box of the fabulous powder in her makeup kit. She looked like a china doll and her skin (even as she aged) was creamy and smooth and when she passed on at age 54 she was just as beautiful!!
I never dreamed that I would be using this myself, but I just love the coverage, color and fragrance! Happy Mothers Day Mom, I love you so much!! See you soon!

on 1/20/2008 2:07:00 AM

I started wearing this when Christ was still in shortpants. Then it disappeared from the shelves and was impossible to find...that is....until today! There it was on the bottom shelf of a Rite Aid. Those beautiful cardboard retro boxes just the way I remembered. I could not for the life of me remember the color I had once worn however, pulling the tops off of every color I settled on Naturally Neutral, the color most suited to my NC15 skin. Once home I poked holes in the plastic film and sifted out enough to flouff over my by then, shiny nose. As it matted down my face to a perfect veil of flawless perfection I got that whiff of violets. Sweet Baby Jesus it was 1974 all over again. If only the inventor of Coty Airspun could still see how the throngs of devoted fans still love this powder, a powder that has not ever been tweaked. I love this product which btw beats the snot out of NARS, Chanel and Dior!!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i've used the translucent version in the orange packaging as well as the unscented version in the green packaging. i think for the price, it's a great value. i use a big fluffy brush (sonia kashuk powder brush w/black handle) if i want to use it to set my makeup. i also use a flat top (sonia kashuk w/black handle or essence of beauty blender) to apply directly on my skin after moisturizer and primer if i am just out running errands and it's a shorts and tshirt kinda day. if i've been a little overzealous with the amount of powder, i just spritz a bit of rosewater/glycerin on my face and blend again. honestly, i love that this powder performs almost as well as my laura mercier loose powder for one tenth the price. in fact, i use this powder every day now and save the LM for special occasions like date night with my sweets or when i know i'll be in pictures.

i should mention the unscented version seems a little bit more luminous of a finish versus the regular translucent, so if i feel like i want a bit more of a glow, i use the unscented.

regarding a previous reviewer's comment about talc being associated with cancer: the talc that had asbestos in it was industrial, not cosmetic, talc. talc IS regulated for cosmetic use by the fda. see this page: http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/HBI/26 as it will give you links that go directly to the fda. lastly, sterile talc powder ( is actually used to treat pleural effusion (when there's a build up of fluid between the layers of tissue that line the lungs and chest cavity). i'm smart enough to know that (1) correlation is not the same as causation and (2) information from secondary or tertiary sources is never as reliable as primary sources.

that said, i am definitely buying into the hype. coty airspun deserves it!

on 11/23/2009 9:30:00 PM

Edit: I have to correct myself on one thing... Naturally Neutral isn't entirely neutral. I finally got to see this in natural light and noticed that it does make my face pinker/ruddier. If you have skin with even slightly warm tones like me, be weary of these powders. They're all pink-toned, though to different degrees.

Original review:
I bought Naturally Neutral, but I looked at the other colors offered at CVS. A quick mini-guide to a few of the colors:
TRANSLUCENT: Definitely pink-toned, but not overly so.
MUTED BEIGE: Pink-toned, not too different from translucent. Maybe NW25 and lighter, depending on the application.
NATURALLY NEUTRAL: The most neutral of the bunch. It's not warm/yellow by any means, but if you have have a neutral skin tone, it should work for you. The shade is similar to Muted Beige. NW/NC25 and lighter, depending on application.
HONEY BEIGE: Very, very, very peachy-pink toned. It's a really rosy color. It's the darkest of the bunch, but still fairly light.

Onto the review!
As I have mentioned, I bought Naturally Neutral. Currrently, it's winter here, so my skin is lighter, NC20-25, and this shade is a good shade. I'm confident that this will match slightly lighter skin. However, it probably won't work for NC25-30 (my summer color!) and darker. By poking tiny holes in the cover (thank you for the tip, MUAers!) you get very fine powder - and thus very natural looking coverage! It definitely doesn't cover my dark post-acne marks (I never expected it to) and it does not cover minor discolorations, but it somehow smooths out my complexion so that, overall, it looks like I have fairly good skin. (Minus the acne marks, of course.) I would have taken off a lippie if this was marketed solely as a powder foundation, but since it's more of a setting powder... Well, it lives up to its claims. :)

I was actually planning to buy Maybelline's Dream Matte Pressed Powder, but this caught my eye. Naturally Neutral looks like Maybelline's Dream Matte Pressed Powder in Cream (Light 4-5) but with less pigmentation. (More *diluted* with talc?) Coty is a buck cheaper, and has a lot more product. I'll repurchase if I ever run out.

Oh yes and I LOVE the packaging! I'm not crazy about retro stuff, but this is so cute! :D

I have been using Coty loose powder for many years. I am 56 and my Grandmother used it and she would have been 106 now. She passed when I was 4 so that tells you how long ago that was. She was a make up girl as all of the girls in my family are. I swear by this product and have tried others buy always went back to Coty. My coworkers always comment on my make up because it looks flawless. I apply my foundation, then pat my entire face and below my jawline then brush off my face. This sets the foundation and powder together and then I use my compact to touch up during the day. Pat your face when touching up so it keeps the make up looking good. I am a beliver that expensive does not equal good. I get asked all of the time what I buy and I tell gals tha I love cheap make up! I but what is tried and true, Cover Girl, Maybelline, Loreal. I have done the department store stuff, all of the high end things and always went back to my dime store makeup.

on 2/8/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

There is a reason this stuff has been around forever; it is a classic. The only con is the smell.
I have used this powder forever. In my 20s, over moisturizer. In my 30s and 40s, over foundation. In my 50s, over BB cream.
I usuall turn it upside down, whack it lightly on the vanity, and then apply the powder over my face with the puff. Let it sit for a few and brush excess off with a kabuki brush. Lightly press a damp wash cloth over my face and it lasts all day.
Too much blushe and no time to redo your makeup? Brush a little powder over it. Set you matte lipstick? Blot, lightly powder, reapply lipstick, and blot. Add some oomph to the eyelashes? Curl, apply mascara, apply a little powder, and add more mascara. Luminous translucent makes a great highlighter. I like naturaly neutral.
The price is right. It comes in a variety of colors. One can find it at the drugstore, walmart, and target. It makes my skin look smooth and does not settle in the fine lines. I've used the mascara trick since the 70s.
Loose powder is for the makeup application. Pressed powder is for a touchup.

I overlooked this product for decades, believing it was strictly for ladies of my grandmother's generation, and couldn't possibly be advanced enough for anyone as sophisticated as myself. After reading the reviews on this site, I decided to give it a try. The packaging these days is cheap plastic, no longer the classy retro cardboard box I noticed in the drugstore for years. It contains a faux-lambswool puff. The powder has a rather strong sweet scent as others have noted.

But, wow! Applied over moisturizer with a fluffy brush, the powder ( in the Translucent Extra Coverage shade) left my skin looking porcelain smooth and flawless all day in and out of 97-degree heat. Every time I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I was stunned. I've worn it every day for the last week or so and am completely converted. Even the scent grew on me, and now I rather like it. And--corny but true--I have to say I also get a kick out of the the historical mystique of wearing a product that has been around since the 1920s. Every time I use it, I get a sense of taking my place in a long line of elegant, beautiful ladies who have used and sworn by this iconic beauty product.

on 12/30/2008 10:10:00 AM

Excellent fine milled powder that stays on my makeup resistant nose and doesn't accent my large pores or break me out. I put a little on when I don't want to do a full face but need to cover my nose. Skin texture on my nose is very different than on the rest of my face (the result of years in the sun without sunscreen) and almost all products go on streaky or blotchy or clump. But after application, my nose finally matches my face. Better for me than LeClerc. Be sure to use a sifter or make one by puncturing the film or you'll have a mess. I used to see this in the stores and think " who still uses that stuff"? Well now I know--lots of SMART women.

PS When I was a kid I remember both of my grannies using this powder while sitting at their vanities (the kind with the full length mirror in the center and drawers on either side. The powder was fully exposed once the box was opened and the puffs that were used for application had cute little handles like the ones illustrated on the box.It was applied by first using one of the puffs to pick up the powder from the box and apply it to the face with patting but swirly motions. Then after a few minutes, the second puff was used to remove the excess . Funny the things that stay in our memories.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This is unbelievable. I'm a darker skinned AFRICAN-AMERICAN and this product looks wonderful on me. The best thing: it's controlling the oil!! My face is sooo oily, it looks like my face is wet (not dripping though) if I don't blot it or powder up. Usually I can tell within five to ten minutes if something is controlling my oil because my forehead will start to have that oily glare, and it doesn't now! I can't imagine life without this.

How to make a sifter for your coty airspun powder:

For those of you who do not like the packaging, here's what to do:
When you open a new box of powder, carefully pull the white cardboard inner ring out using tweezers (it has a sheet of plastic attached to it) keeping it intact (you'll have to go slow and work slowly around the ring). Once you remove this, carefully take a pair of scissors and cut away the plastic so you're left with just the cardboard ring. Now take a clean new kneehigh stocking and, being careful not to spill the powder, stretch it over the powder box (using an area of course that doesnt have a toe seam). Hold this taute (the little holes in the fabric are what will let some powder escape), then carefully replace the cardboard ring back into the package (don't push it in too far!)-over the stocking and pushing it back down into the box to secure the stocking. Finally, take the scissors and cut away any stocking hanging over the edge of the box.

Now when you use the powder, just tip the whole container upside down with the lid on and give it a tap, then while still upside down, remove the lid. The lid will now have just enough powder in it to swirl your brush or dip your powder puff in. Or you can just gently tap your brush or puff gently on the stocking/sifter and get some product when it's upright.

I hope this helps :)

p.s. my review? I have this in 3 shades: translucent extra coverage, translucent unscented luminous, and naturally neutral. When I use this I like to just apply it over moisturizer so i want a little coverage and color, so for this purpose I like the naturally neutral the best. It has no staying power, but the powder itself is fantastic and i plan to try this with some fix spray. The smell and just seeing the little powder box in my makeup makes me feel feminine and pretty.