Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.4

on 10/13/2017 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had to revisit this since I've seen it mentioned a lot lately, and remember seeing it so many times on my grandmother's make up vanity when i grew up. I was sort of hoping it might be similar to my holy grail powder, Laura Mercier. Why oh why can't they lose the awful fragrance in this powder. I could not handle it and had to wash it off every time I tried it. It's just way too perfumed and it's not a nice scent either. Also, it is not transparent and has a pinky tone that looked horrible on my skin. It is a nice powder, finely milled, if they would lose the scent and the pink tones it might be a winner. So Laura Mercier still has no competition that I've found yet.
*****Also let me mention, there are tons of fake Laura Mercier powders being sold on ebay and elsewhere. Buyer beware. There are also lots of you tube videos comparing the fakes to the real LM.

on 9/25/2016 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Been using this powder for about a month now with no problems. I've stopped using foundation and press it over my moisturizer with spf. Wait a few then buff with a kabuki. Looks better than anything i've ever used. I'm 67 and this gives my face a flawless finish. Couldn't be happier to find that less is more. I don't mind the smell. At least the fragrance doesn't choke me like some perfumes people wear, ugh!!!

on 4/13/2016 10:48:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I would buy this again and again but I will never run out because it comes in a huge box. Prick pin holes in the cellophane covering over the opening and you have a sifter!

The translucent is not translucent but on pale skin a peaches and cream natural hint of color. I use this or Benefit's Dandelion. This works as a substitute for foundation or setting powder for a polished natural or made up look depending on how its applied.

The Wayne Goss method is the best I've ever used to apply:

Moisturizer and then with a fan brush apply a light dusting of powder all over face, neck, ears, eyes. Mist with Rose Water (I mist with water very lightly). Let it dry completely. That may be it for a 'real' skin natural look. Or. Apply foundation and any concealer you may need. Your foundation will last and last and if you use a small amount of, say, MAC's F&B you are going to have a very lovely, natural finish. You can put a squirt of MAC Strobe in your moisturizer or in the F&B. If you want more, after you apply blush, eyeshadow, the works, you can apply another dusting of powder with the fan brush, blend all over and mist again and let dry.

I have never found a better setting powder or substitute foundation than this one for dry or combination skin. I use Dandelion as a lighter face brightner, almost invisible powder with MAC F&B and love it too. I've had my box of Coty Airspun for 10 years and I'll be buried with the box still half full.

on 2/8/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

There is a reason this stuff has been around forever; it is a classic. The only con is the smell.
I have used this powder forever. In my 20s, over moisturizer. In my 30s and 40s, over foundation. In my 50s, over BB cream.
I usuall turn it upside down, whack it lightly on the vanity, and then apply the powder over my face with the puff. Let it sit for a few and brush excess off with a kabuki brush. Lightly press a damp wash cloth over my face and it lasts all day.
Too much blushe and no time to redo your makeup? Brush a little powder over it. Set you matte lipstick? Blot, lightly powder, reapply lipstick, and blot. Add some oomph to the eyelashes? Curl, apply mascara, apply a little powder, and add more mascara. Luminous translucent makes a great highlighter. I like naturaly neutral.
The price is right. It comes in a variety of colors. One can find it at the drugstore, walmart, and target. It makes my skin look smooth and does not settle in the fine lines. I've used the mascara trick since the 70s.
Loose powder is for the makeup application. Pressed powder is for a touchup.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine

Definitely holy grail status. This powder is lovely, finely milled, affordable. I have fair skin and find the translucent shade is actually a good match for my complexion. As I don't have very dark circles under my eyes, most days I can use E.L.F. essential eye primer under my eyes and top just with this powder. I then use Jane Iredale pressed mineral powder in Radiant just under the hollows under my eyes. The result is comparable to using the most expensive concealer and since I have wrinkles under and around my eyes, keeping makeup to a minimum there is imperative. Can't recommend highly enough. The only drawback is the container. Some have a plastic cover with holes, but some come with just plastic wrap over the powder. Both are messy. I transfer the product to an empty Ben Nye powder container with sifter top and it now transports and dispenses perfectly.

on 8/24/2015 12:21:00 AM

Hell ya I'd buy this again. Thinking I'll buy more just in case they become rare. I purchased two (transparent and naturally neutral) on eBay for about $8 US each. I always have shiny skin - goes oily greasy yucky within hours of leaving the house, defies the efforts of professional m/u artists to quell my shine during a video shoot.

Finding a product like this has been HG for me. I've had it only a few days but used it immediately and couldn't believe how well this worked for me (using the transparent one - haven't tried the neutral yet). It's hot, it's summer and i had a full day of different outdoor social gatherings to go to yesterday. Light SPF moisturizer, then I applied the powder before and after my Almay CC cream 35 SPF, and left the house at 10 am. Got home at 8 pm with no touch ups, no blotting, and my face still looked creamy and no ugly shine! Whaaa!? AND I got compliments all day long, people saying how good I looked...in bright sun and all ha ha...so I knew I had beat the battle of my most vexing beauty foe!

I will not speak about the scent or the packaging - with a product like this I couldn't care less if it smelled like Wild Growth Hair Oil and came in an old boot. This product rocks. I will comment on how reasonably priced it is (I immediately threw out all my old powders which didn't work anyway) how versatile it is (went out for a very early morning walk and just patted this on my morning face and left. My skin just looked great) and how much you get - it will last forever because you need so little - especially because you don't have to keep applying it. It tones down any redness in my skin, makes my pores disappear, smooths out my complexion to china doll perfection and looks natural all day. I'm stunned. And I feel beautiful and confident about my appearance again! This makes me feel polished and like a lady. (I had totally been craving for a retro powder and large puff "experience" after watching a bunch of movies from the early 40's and the woman and their huge powder puffs. Thank you MUA for helping me find this gem!

To travel with this I will dispense into a loadable retractable brush. The transparent is slightly light for tanned summer skin, but I can probably get away with it in winter. For now I just brush on a little Mystura powder, or bronzer, or do some light contouring, and blush as needed to.

Also if you use too much and look powdery, cakey and flat, buff it out and just spritz on Avene Eau thermale Thermal Spring Water in a can. Fresh, fresh, fresh!

on 2/25/2015 5:49:00 PM

What a discovery again . I saw my mom use this when I was a child and she always looked flawless. Alot of her friends were in the entertainment industry in the 1940s. and 1950s etc. All those women wore this powder off the set . I used my moms powder as a teen . Then I used every kind of make up under the sun from ultra expensive to drugs store brands. This is simply is the best . I hope they never stop making this powder.

on 2/1/2015 10:58:00 PM

Ugh! Heavy texture, nasty old lady smell. Hated this stuff!

on 3/24/2014 12:36:00 AM

The fragrance is horrible--like an old lady in the worst way (and I'm 62!). I can't stand to be associated with a cloying, creepy scent like that. The whole bathroom smells of it though I was careful to use only a touch on my face. And the awful scent lingers in my nose. A nightmare. I threw it out immediately for two reasons: 1) the old "lady scent" is intolerable, and 2), it's made in China, a country whose manufacturing standards I don't trust--especially not on my face!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Thank you for posting the pictures for this powder , especially the comparison with other colors. I also love this. I have used it for many years and although I'm always trying new things......this is a keeper. I don't mind the smell-it's very nostalgic for me ( I own the original L'Origan). I also prefer the original cardboard top not the plastic. My cardboard top never soaked through. It lasts forever.
I use both the regular and the extra coverage but I prefer the regular because it does not sit as heavy. I don't use a brush because it fluffs around. A puff or a powder sponge is better.