Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

3.9

on 6/17/2018 5:26:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I will be like another reviewer and give this powder a little credit for the size of the container and the price. It's widely available, and if you can deal with the fragrance, you can have a nice product for very little money!

But I cannot deal with the fragrance. I kept trying, because I am stubborn and/or have a bad memory, but finally I got wise and pitched this powder.

It's not like I don't like old-lady fragrances, because I love a surprising number of overly-fragranced products (Guerlain comes to mind). This is not one of them, sadly.

on 1/30/2018 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This retro-cheap powder has been around for decades. I have not used it since the 90's. It is very cheap but cut with talc and other fillers. Not great - but not the worst. thankfully, it did NOT make me break out back then. Not sure about now (My skin was combo/oily back then and now is dry.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I loved this powder for years when it was about the only DS loose powder you could find. I would love to love it. It has a great smell, but that means perfumes, and it is talc-based, not mineral-based. So, it oxidizes quickly, mixes with liquid foundation and creates a shiny film, and it does get everywhere. And you have to set your face with a setting spray or you look very powdery even with puff, sponge, or brush after you apply it.

I have acne-prone skin and I break out with this product if I wear it a full day. I always come home and wash my face immediately if I do use it. Sadly, I think I have to retire this good ole standby and stick to the mineral powders.

EDIT: So, I tossed this and then kept seeing all the positive reviews, then started lemming, so I bought another one haha. I think my old powder may have been too old and that was causing breakouts. I have not had any comedones with the new/fresh powder. Also, performance does vary with different foundations. With more dewy foundations, the powder mixes with them to create a sort of film. If you use the Wayne Goss method (or whomever should get credit for this) and press the powder into your foundation, it performs much better. If your foundation is matte, the powder tends to look 'powdery' longer, but performs better. YMMV

on 5/30/2012 3:30:00 PM

THANK YOU MUA! I had used this powder as a teen and totally forgotten about it when i spotted a review and gave this old standby another try.

I bought the powder in Luminous, Naturally Neutral, and Translucent Extra Coverage. The new packaging is by far the better way to go as the cardboard box is bulky and doesn't hold up quite as well. I could only find the luminous version at Kmart and will have to find a container to transfer the powder to since I am not thrilled with the cardboard container and don't want to carry it in my purse (too big and bulky).

I apply this with a brush and not the included puff although i do like to keep the puff in the container to keep the powder from getting all over in the lid. This stuff is AMAZING! Goes on like a dream, feels so soft on your face and gives a glowing finish. Keeps oil at bay and stays on through 100+ temperatures here in Arizona. Unlike other powders it does not dry out my skin or settle into lines making me look older.

Honestly this stuff is a miracle! I am thinking about stocking up since it is so hard to find. Does anyone know what the shelf life of this product is?

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My review is for the Coty Airspun Loose powder in the shade Translucent Extra Coverage, and keep that in mind because I think the "extra coverage" is key here. I picked it up at Walgreens for $8.99 but I think you could find it cheaper in Walmart. There is so much powder in the container, will last for months if not longer... there is a strong fragrance so if that is going to bother you I think you will have to pass on this... I happen to LOVE the fragrance, it brings me back to the 70's.

OK, this powder is simply the cream of the crop, outstanding and amazing... and if you have dry skin don't worry because your skin will love this one! Forget what they always tell us about powder going into our fine lines and wrinkles and making us look ten years older, just forget it, will not happen with this powder! You can use this as a finishing powder or as a foundation. I applied the powder with the included puff, I dabbed it all over my face including lips and eyes and then I took my powder brush and brushed off the excess..... the finish that this powder will give your skin is unbelievable... they do not lie when they tell you on back of the container that it "hides tiny lines, wrinkles and blemishes and gives a new softness to your skin." It will just glide over your wrinkles and diminish the look of them...... leaves your skin with an airbrushed appearance and keeps your makeup looking beautiful from early in the morning until you decide to wash it off. I highly recommend this!.

I love retro stuff....and although I have this in the fancy-dancy plastic container with the sifter, it still smells old-school Hollywood....aka-highly perfumed. It reminds me of my grandmothers make-up bag when I was just a wee one putting her red revlon lipstick on my chin playing grown up.....ahh but I digress...back to the review. I have this is rose beige. Its a pretty good match for my NC25/N5 skin tone. It looks great as a finishing powder however, within an hour its shiny. the culprit is probably the mineral oil that's in it. I use it only on my days off when I'm home all day playing retro housewife. It's really a 3.5 but I gave it a 4 for nostalgic purposes.
***Update 1/22/12***So I'm cruising the internet and found an old ad for this powder. It actually came in different scents from the Coty line like Emeraude, L'Aimant, Paris and L'Origan. After more research I discovered the Airspun we purchase today is still in the scent of L'Origan. This explains why its so perfumed. Now my retro side is loving it even more! Also really loving this even more in winter. I use it to set my Merle Norman Powder Base foundation (another original formula from the 30's still in existence) Both are awesome for the winter/fall and I don't have to retouch up AT ALL during my 15 hour work day. Both have mineral oil, so they both melt together. Looks awesome. I'm upping my rating to a solid 5.

on 12/11/2010 9:46:00 PM

I am constantly searching for a good loose powder that doesn't break the bank. I don't want sparkles or glitter, just something that sets my make up and looks matte and absorbs the oil. This powder might be good, but I just can't get past the smell. It is way too strong, and completely turns me off.

on 4/20/2010 8:45:00 AM

Well, this is about as retro as can be, and yes, it does have a strong 'vintage' scent - but it disappears, calm down! I use 'Translucent' rubbing lightly with a big fluffy brush after applying foundation and I look matte and flawless for hours. There seems to be some debate over the packaging, which is awkward. You have to buy a big fluffy brush (or a powder puff, but a brush is easier and cleaner). The powder is under cellophane. What I do is prick the cellophane all over with a pin, put the cover on, and shake. Take the cover off, and there is a light layering of powder on top of the cellophane. Just dip your brush in and apply. I just use a light dusting, but if you like more, make some more pinpricks...I hope that doesn't sound complicated, it really takes about a minute to do initially. ... The powder is very fine milled and absorbs oil, and so far I haven't developed any wrinkles for the powder to settle in. I love it and leave the house after a full makeup job feeling I look my best. (The container obviously doesn't travel well, if you need to powder your nose during the day you will need to decant into a compact with a half sifter. I can hear the younger readers saying "huuuuh???", lol!. Easier to just buy a compact of some neutral or translucent pressed powder you can put in your purse.

on 3/5/2010 4:05:00 PM

Love,Love,Love this powder it is great I have so many other's good more money but not as good as this this make's your skin flawless, please do not ever stop making this.

on 3/2/2010 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I used this powder (shade: Naturelle) religiously throughout my teen and young adult years. I still have a container (quite possibly it's the same container from 20 years ago).

Although nostalgia is pushing me to rate this product higher than a 3, in recent years as my skin has aged and become dry, this just isn't doing it for me anymore. It's not finely milled enough, seems to sit on top of my skin no matter how much I buff it with a brush, and basically calls attention to itself.

I still love the smell. I still love the vintage design on the box. But (it hurts to say this) Bobbi Brown's loose powder not only smells EXACTLY the same as this one but blends much better.

I rated this packaging a 3 as well...it's a "5" for design, beauty and nostalgia; a "1" for functionality. I solve this problem by decanting it into a smaller powder jar with a shaker top.