Vapour Organic Beauty Essential Mini Collection

Not tested on animals

on 9/15/2010 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I decided to give vapour another try since my disgust with their foundation had much to do with the color selection. They've added new colors and now added this mini essential beauty collection. First let me say this is TINY. I think you are getting your money's worth but do note the size of these.
I personally would say this kit would be great for a gift for someone with dry skin (small pores) and fairly even skin tone. This kit would make a great teen gift for their first makeup as long as the teen didn't have oily or acne prone skin.

With that said, yep, i hated it again. In your mini essential kit you receive one small stratus instant skin perfector, one aura multi-use blush stick in spark, and one atmosphere luminous foundation in the color of your choice.

I ordered this in shade 115. I like the shade. It wasn't the shade apparently that caused it to perform so poorly in my full sized stick (i tried that in 120, see other review). Apparently this texture just HATES any areas with lines, large pores, acne, or oil. This settled into my fine lines, gave my skin an odd color cast, and photographed horribly. I looked splotchy in EVERY photo. My mother on the other hand has practically poreless dry skin that doesn't break out or need much correcting (most days she goes foundation free) and she loves this stuff. This foundation really is very specific to ONE and only ONE skintype. Dry skin with poreless texture. If you have large pores even with a primer this WILL settle into and highlight them. If you have a lot of oil this WILL seperate and grease up in those areas and you'll look a hot mess. I've also noticed that my skin in particular keeps getting cystic acne (something i've been free of for over 10 years) if i use this foundation all over. Despite me trying to give them another try, this foundation still gets a big thumbs down.

Next you have the Aura Multi-use blush in Spark. I like the color of this, i like the consistency. I hate the staying power and color payoff. It's pretty for literally 10 seconds and then the color just disappears. Not sure where it goes but poof it's gone! In the arena of cream blushes, this one fails miserably. I also tried this on my lips and again such pretty 10 second color and then after that, no color at all. I have pretty fair skin and if it disappears into fair skin no matter how many times you swipe it, anyone with any pigment is going to HATE this stuff. My mother couldn't get the color to stay on her face either. So far this kit is batting zero (again this would be good for a teen since they tend to be heavy handed).

On to my favorite and their only redeeming item in this kit. The stratus instant skin perfector. I can't use this all over (same base ingredients as their foundation) since it makes my face erupt in blemishes but i love it as a highlighting primer. I mix it with concealers under the eyes and anywhere i like to highlight. It gives a nice subtle glowy highlight. This also works as an amazing balm on chapped or irritated skin. Do not attempt to put this on blemishes or oily skin cuz you'll look like a greaseball. Also don't put on large pored areas, it will settle like the foundation and it will direct attention to them. I do like this all over as a primer for older skin to give skin back it's glow but the model needs to have almost poreless dry skin that has lost it's glow for you to love this one.

All in all the value is fine if you are a vapour lover or if you need a good first makeup kit gift to a teen or a non-makeup wearer (they usually have near perfect skin so they'd appreciate the minimal coverage and portability of this). For those of us who work with makeup or who are makeup junkies, this line doesn't cut it. Love that it's organic and natural, love the stick concept, hate the acne, pore highlighting and poor coverage. :( My search for good organic foundations to use in my pro kit will continue. Vapour doesn't make the cut.