Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen
Limitless Liquid Liner Pen

2.8

Water (Aqua, Eau), Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, CETETH-20, Pentylene Glycol, Sea Salt, POLYGLYCERYL-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Carbon Black (CI 77266).

on 8/20/2013 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for the colour 'Jet Black'.

Firstly, I wear black liquid eyeliner EVERY day (seriously) - it's a staple in my daily makeup routine! I find that once you get the hang of liquid liners, you will sort of become obsessed, they are so quick and easy (once you've mastered them), and they create an instant 'pop' to the eyes. There are a few factors that make a great black liquid eyeliner, or at least things I consider important! So I've broken down this review into those categories as I find it may be helpful to anyone looking for a good black liquid liner.

Colour:
I look for the blackest of black when I choose a liquid liner - I think the Smashbox liner delivers! It's not the MOST black liner I have ever used but, it comes close. It's more of a mix between a matte and shiny finish, which I like. I prefer matte shades of black (like Urban Decay Perversion liner), however I find this isn't too shiny for my liking. If you want to, you can take a small liner brush and apply black eye shadow on top of it to create a matte look, and soften the line.

Application:
I LOVE the application of this liner. LOVE. I think as far as liquid liners are concerned, the applicator brush is so key to the product - this is by far my fave brush. I can't count how many liquid liners I've had, where I loved the colour and longevity, but the applicator was flimsy, not user friendly, and just generally a nightmare (Lancomes 'Art Liner' has a longer and flimsier felt tip, which is OK for thin lines but if you like to do the cat eye or winged look, I find it's hard to be precise). This liner has a great shape - easy to get a precise small/thin line, or do a full out bold winged eye look. It's really a dream.

Longevity/Formula:
The product isn't waterproof, but it is classified as long lasting. I have oily eyelids, so I've had a rough time in the past with transfer to the upper eyelid area with other brands. Currently I apply this over my Bobbi Brown long wear cream eyeshadow, and it lasts quite a while on my oily lids. I don't notice any transfer or smudging throughout the day. Overall I have no complaints about it flaking off (like I used to see with my Makeup Forever Aqua Liquid Liner), or fading too much. The formula isn't too dry or too liquidy (again like the Makeup Forever Liquid Liner, which used to be my 'go to', BTW).

So...overall I love this liquid liner. The only downside is the price ($30 Canadian). I do find it's better than most/all drugstore brands I've tried, so I am willing to foot the bill. I think it's awesome and I've worn it every day since purchasing it. I can't say HOW long the physical product lasts for, but I will update. This is a great choice for creating perfect and precise lines - thick, thin, cat eye, whatever! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Note: A cheeper alternative that I liked from the drugstore is Loreal Infallible 'the Super Slim' liquid eyeliner in Carbon Black. It falls short in terms of longevity, and fades/smudges slightly throughout the day on my oily eyelids, but it's overall a decent cheeper alternative to try.

on 3/21/2013 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Love this eyeliner! I only wear liquid eyeliner so I have tried quite a few different brands of liquid eyeliner. I was a little reluctant to go with a pen eyeliner because I have had bad experiences with the pen eyeliners drying out very quickly. This pen liner is excellent because it does not dry out. The formula is very pigmented and flows out well. The tip narrow tip allows for very precise application, and allows you to use different techniques and thickness, from a very thin, natural look, to thick, dramatic winged eyeliner. The only con of this liner is the price. It is on the expensive side. I live in Canada and it cost $25. But overall, this is an excellent eyeliner and well worth the money. I would definately buy this eyeliner again!

on 8/4/2011 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

The first time you open this pen and use it you will love it; it has an incredibly fine tipped point. If you don't use it though regularly, you will open it one day and notice it dried out. This has happened 2 times for me. Once I understood, but the second time really frustrated me. I will not buy this again. You can only really do one line with it though; you can't build on a dried line or else it gets chunky.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

ughhhhhh why does it dry out so fast its so perfect at first!!!! i thought i found the perfect liquid eyeliner but it just started drying out to fast :( So i started looking and found one that stilla makes thats awesome...and cant wait till urban decays liquid liner 24/7 comes out!!! it was amazing....

on 5/30/2011 12:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I wear eyeliner daily. I love this pen! You can make a perfect cat-eye with it and it is an intense black. The precision is excellent, you can do a thin line or thick. Even though I wear eyeliner daily, gel, pencil or liquid, whenever i use this pen specifically, i get compliments on my liner. I have had this for about two months and do not use it daily because i have so many other ones, so i am kind of bummed reading reviews saying it dries out quick if i were to use it more frequently. For the price- $22 that would really suck because I like it so much. I know how to use liquid so I cannot comment on how easy it would be for a novice, but it is def the best I have ever bought. I have bought drug store and high end, I also love Lancome's artliner which makes a thicker line but i love the quality just as much as this one.