Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen
Limitless Liquid Liner Pen

3.1

Water (Aqua, Eau), Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, CETETH-20, Pentylene Glycol, Sea Salt, POLYGLYCERYL-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Carbon Black (CI 77266).

on 2/28/2017 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I don't like the tip on this it's too stiff and it makes it hard to do a nice winged liner. Its very black but it also easily smudges.

on 6/26/2015 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This doesn't last long enough for me. It rubs off very easily. It is NOT waterproof. I repeat, it is NOT waterproof.

I bought Dark Brown because I had so many black liners, and it's a nice, deep brown, dark enough to show up with most eye shadow combinations but if I use dark brown or dark grey shadow, I have to use a black liner instead.

The very best eyeliner I've ever used is still Bobbi Brown's gel liner in the little ink pot that you have to apply with a brush. However, it takes longer to apply and you have to be experienced with a brush. I buy liquid pens because I don't want to carry all that around in my purse. I find it faster and more practical to use a pen, and I've come to expect that they won't be quite as good as my Caviar Ink gel liner, but I still search.

Tips: If you buy Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen, loading the eye area with eye cream will cause the liner to smear. If you have oily eyelids and use a cream shadow, take the extra step and put a powder shadow over it. Really anything you can do to limit the amount of oil around the liner will help it stay. Also if you use eye drops, know that you'll have to take this with you for touch-ups. After trial and error, I can get it to work, but I'd rather have a better liner. It fades easily.

I've been through liquid pens from Kat Von D, Geisha Ink, and countless others. Stila's waterproof liquid pen in Black is the front-runner so far. Stila's lasts longer than this one.

I was at a Sephora recently and the SA recommended this pen, and I said, "No way. I already own one in brown, and I hate it. I would never buy it again in black; I'm sorry."

Pens that last better than this: Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Liner Pen and Stila Stay All Day.

I have tried a variety of different liquid eyeliners, and I am extremely picky when it comes to eyeliners- the pigmentation has to be just right, it has to stay on well, etc etc etc.- and this eyeliner is by far the best that I've purchased so far. I have used Stila, Tarte, Urban Decay, Kat von D, & MAC's eyeliners, and don't get me wrong; all of their eyeliners are decent, but they are nowhere near as good as this eyeliner from Smashbox. I have bad allergies and my eyes water a lot, so I'm constantly trying to 'get rid' of the tears, and this eyeliner barely smudges, if at all when my allergies are acting up. This eyeliner is DEFINITELY worth the money.

on 10/27/2014 5:53:00 PM

Just amazing! I use this for the inner corners of my eyes and for a cat eye wing. Perfection almost every time and lasts all day long.

on 8/20/2013 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for the colour 'Jet Black'.

Firstly, I wear black liquid eyeliner EVERY day (seriously) - it's a staple in my daily makeup routine! I find that once you get the hang of liquid liners, you will sort of become obsessed, they are so quick and easy (once you've mastered them), and they create an instant 'pop' to the eyes. There are a few factors that make a great black liquid eyeliner, or at least things I consider important! So I've broken down this review into those categories as I find it may be helpful to anyone looking for a good black liquid liner.

Colour:
I look for the blackest of black when I choose a liquid liner - I think the Smashbox liner delivers! It's not the MOST black liner I have ever used but, it comes close. It's more of a mix between a matte and shiny finish, which I like. I prefer matte shades of black (like Urban Decay Perversion liner), however I find this isn't too shiny for my liking. If you want to, you can take a small liner brush and apply black eye shadow on top of it to create a matte look, and soften the line.

Application:
I LOVE the application of this liner. LOVE. I think as far as liquid liners are concerned, the applicator brush is so key to the product - this is by far my fave brush. I can't count how many liquid liners I've had, where I loved the colour and longevity, but the applicator was flimsy, not user friendly, and just generally a nightmare (Lancomes 'Art Liner' has a longer and flimsier felt tip, which is OK for thin lines but if you like to do the cat eye or winged look, I find it's hard to be precise). This liner has a great shape - easy to get a precise small/thin line, or do a full out bold winged eye look. It's really a dream.

Longevity/Formula:
The product isn't waterproof, but it is classified as long lasting. I have oily eyelids, so I've had a rough time in the past with transfer to the upper eyelid area with other brands. Currently I apply this over my Bobbi Brown long wear cream eyeshadow, and it lasts quite a while on my oily lids. I don't notice any transfer or smudging throughout the day. Overall I have no complaints about it flaking off (like I used to see with my Makeup Forever Aqua Liquid Liner), or fading too much. The formula isn't too dry or too liquidy (again like the Makeup Forever Liquid Liner, which used to be my 'go to', BTW).

So...overall I love this liquid liner. The only downside is the price ($30 Canadian). I do find it's better than most/all drugstore brands I've tried, so I am willing to foot the bill. I think it's awesome and I've worn it every day since purchasing it. I can't say HOW long the physical product lasts for, but I will update. This is a great choice for creating perfect and precise lines - thick, thin, cat eye, whatever! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Note: A cheeper alternative that I liked from the drugstore is Loreal Infallible 'the Super Slim' liquid eyeliner in Carbon Black. It falls short in terms of longevity, and fades/smudges slightly throughout the day on my oily eyelids, but it's overall a decent cheeper alternative to try.

on 8/20/2013 6:47:00 AM

This eyeliner didn't work for me. It was quite dry, making it hard to apply, and didn't come out as black as I would have liked. It gets points for not smudging or cracking off, but I'm going to stick to my usual maybelline liquid liner.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was actually kind of disappointed in this. The application is where the liner lost major points with me. The felt tip is firm, which could provide for a precise line if the formula wasn't so dry and tough to apply. I intended to draw thinner lines but because the edges drawn were jagged due to the pen skipping and dragging, and then having to go back and try to smooth things out, the lines came out much thicker than desired.

On the positive side, the colors are true and rich, and the staying power is excellent. However, the lack of precision in application was the deal-breaker for me. If you like thick, bold lines this pen will deliver. But as I prefer thinner lines, I probably will not repurchase.

on 3/21/2013 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Love this eyeliner! I only wear liquid eyeliner so I have tried quite a few different brands of liquid eyeliner. I was a little reluctant to go with a pen eyeliner because I have had bad experiences with the pen eyeliners drying out very quickly. This pen liner is excellent because it does not dry out. The formula is very pigmented and flows out well. The tip narrow tip allows for very precise application, and allows you to use different techniques and thickness, from a very thin, natural look, to thick, dramatic winged eyeliner. The only con of this liner is the price. It is on the expensive side. I live in Canada and it cost $25. But overall, this is an excellent eyeliner and well worth the money. I would definately buy this eyeliner again!

on 3/4/2013 4:04:00 PM

I wanted to love this eye liner so much. Smashbox is a vegan, cruelty free company and this eyeliner is made in Japan (not China! hooray!)

PROS: The formula is awesome. Paints on just like a liquid eye liner should, opaque and dries quickly. I can go back over the line if needed and it does not pick up the ink already deposited. No complaints on the liquid itself.

CONS: It's the felt tip. It is super stiff. So much that it can tend to grab my delicate eye lid as I attempt to drag it across to create a line. If they lengthened the felt tip and made it a bit more flexible, this would be the perfect eye liner.

on 2/17/2013 10:32:00 PM

It could be because this was my first-ever liquid eyeliner and I hadn't mastered the art of applying liquid liners, but I didn't enjoy using this at all. Several takes before I could get it on my lids properly, and the liner flakes when I apply over it to get the line darker/firmer. And the problem is, there's no way I could have gotten a decent, intense black line with just one glide. The pen dried up pretty quickly too - it lasted me only about a month. The liner isn't exactly cheap, either (I got Stila's Stay-All-Day for a lower price) and for the experience I will never buy this again.