Urban Decay The Black Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

4.1

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I bought this palette while it was on a clearance sale, like 12 dollars or so? Obviously, this palette is a steal for 12 dollars.
I'm not much of a dark color person, but if I ever feel the need to use dark colors I will definitely go to this palette!
As always, UD has outstanding shadows.

on 8/29/2011 11:39:00 AM

Picked up this palette last year since it looked like I could create a few colour variations on a smokey eye with it.

First, the BEST shade is Black Dog. I have never used such a pigmented matte black shadow ever. Blends far better than is competition, except perhaps Nars Pandora.

The rest of the shades, while all looking very different in pan, all seem to go an ashy grey once on the skin. There is very little variation between them. Certainly not enough to warrant this being a 60 dollar palette. I have had slightly more luck applying them wet, however then they loose blendability. Overall, I would stay away from this one.

on 1/25/2011 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OMG THIS PALETTE!!!

I settled for this because I wanted the NAKED palette, and of course Sephora was out of stock. I like Urban Decay's eyeshadows and I love doing smokey eyes so I thought I'd be getting the best of both worlds, and I was so right.

First of all, Urban Decay eyeshadow is the bomb, period. All of it. A little goes a LONG way. You just dab the brush ever so slightly into the shadow and you've picked up enough pigment to take care of an eye. UD is coming dangerously close to stealing my MAC loyalty.

This palette is awesome because it has every possible take on "black" that you can imagine. I *think* the colors you see online aren't exactly representative of how it shows up on your eye. Most of them are quite blackish (sorry, I don't know how else to describe them), with purple or blue or gold tones to them.

I also don't think the palette is as shimmery as one might be led to believe. While I wouldn't describe the colors as "matte" (except there is one matte black in there), this also isn't that super sparkly shimmery stuff that it looks like from the web pics.

Basically, if you ever use any sort of dark colors in your makeup routing, you won't be disappointed with this palette.

Also, I was surprisingly impressed with the eyeliner it came with. It glides right on and has awesome staying power.

If I ever ran out of the colors in this, I would totally buy it again, but UD makes such a powerful product that even if I did a smokey eye every day for two years straight, I probably wouldn't run out!

on 12/27/2010 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got this for Christmas and I LOVE IT. It came with an eyeliner (didn't love it though) and eyeshadow primer (which works great). These eyeshadows go on so nicely and I love the fact that they're dark and a little bit shimmery. The color stays on really well. I'm having so much fun using these different colors!

on 11/19/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Holy! this has become my primary nighttime-look product, it has exactly what you need for an amazing smokey eye. Very rock n roll. Sexy. I use a MAC paint pot as a base, and the colors show up really dark and rich. The shadows are so effing soft, it takes no effort to blend, they go on opaque - No streaky color! The actually tone of the colors is somewhat subdued, but it's because these are meant to look smokey, not bright. I just think this palette creates such a sexy look. My favorites for my eye color are Libertine and Cobra, and I always use Black Dog to really blacken the lashline. The little Zero 24/7 eye pencil is a nice little addition! I'm really bummed that this is not permanent, I hope Sephora decides to carry it forever!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love the darks, and I loved Chanel Les Boutons, but I find that Chanel eyeshadows bother me a bit. UD never bothers me. I haven't tried all the colours yet, just Libertine because I wore green today. I will add comments on the other colours after I wear them.

I found that it was very pigmented. I did get a dark green out of it - it was true to the pan - but I did use UD primer under it. First suggestion, make sure that the primer is completely dry.

It grabs hard, so where you touch your brush, the shadow will stick. Blending is not so easy. My suggestion: use a highlighting power over the whole eye, liberally, before applying the UD shadow.

I use a small Chanel 15 brush to apply. I love this brush, it picks up just the right amount and it is very easy to use. I also use the pencil brush blender thingy from makeup forever that I love for blending afterwards - great for getting into the crease and making the V. Actually both work easily as well.

There was no fallout whatsoever. I had to brush nothing away. That, in and of itself, was pretty amazing. It sticks to the skin like a magnet. I wore it for 16 hours straight and not a budge and no touch up needed. I was able to blend it to a nice smokey shade for day and it was wearable no problem and the colour was not black which was nice.

I kind of liked the pencil it comes with - very easy to apply, nice and soft and makes a good line, but a little waxy maybe and it melted throughout the day. I prefer a wet liner with a dry brushing on top to even it out. I am not sure I would buy this pencil...would have to use it some more.

This is a great palette for smokey eyes and I know smokey eyes and smokey eye palettes. I like the ease of the palette and the variety of darker shades, including the inky black. The names are great and I do love a good name. It isn't horribly expensive, and you get quite a bit for each colour, but the mini liner and the mini Eden which I am not in love with at all but hey, I get to try it without spending money on it.

I would always like to keep a palette like this in my stash, especially for the fall and winter months. I think I will make very good use of the palette.

More to come later on the other colours....if there is something to report! Oh yes, and this palette absolutely does not bother my eyes.

Update: I did Jet today, the purple one. It was purple, but more black than purple. Very dark purple when smudged, didn't make my eyes pop per se, BUT, what the shadow does, with a lot of blending and work, it made my eyes sultry and come hither, a look I really liked. With a great finished complexion and just a light lipstick and gloss, I definitely got my fair share of looks. Still a keeper, but it is hard to apply so be sure to allow enough time. Oh yes, this time, I put it under my eye and used Chanel Clair on my inner bottom of my eye and then just mascara, no eye liner. It looked good.

Update: Yesterday, I did barracuda with Clarins teal on the lid. Blend blend blend, had a TON of compliments. I always get compliments with that Clarins teal anyway, but with the barracuda underneath, at the edge and in the crease, this seems to be a winning combination. Today, I did Sabbath, it is a dark blue and it seems to stay that way on me, but I am going to try it with a touch of Dior periwinkle on the lid. I think I am coming to the conclusion that these are great colours WITH something brighter blended in and it is a matter of finding the right combination.

Update: the more I use them, the more I don't love them. I am back to Chanel Boutons and I think I achieve a better look, a softer look. But, the blue.silver combo I wrote about works, it is just not buildable colour and if not careful, what a dark mess. That said, if you love smokey dark eyes, this is nice, and the colours can be fantastic liners!

UPDATE: Ages later, I am still periodically trying to wear this. Barely made a dent in them. Too much fallout when applying, too dark too fast, no blendability. The pencil I never use anymore, too slippery and it gets messy pretty fast. I use UD potion everywhere, doesn't matter, the pencil is just too soft, too oily. Nope, this palette is a loser. I am giving up. Downgraded to two stars - one for high pigment payoff and lasting power, and one for non-irritating.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really didn't need to buy this but I love dark shadows & the idea of several in one palette was the main attraction for me.
The palette is quite small, so it'd be easy to travel with. Inside, there's six shadows - Black Dog (matte black), Barracuda (a shimmery charcoal), Jet (shimmery purple), Sabbath (shimmery blue), Cobra (black with a golden/olive shimmer) & Libertine (black with green shimmer). There's also a mini 24/7 liner in Zero. A small primer potion in Eden came with the set but doesn't actually fit inside the palette.
I've worn each colour & have been quite happy with them. They probably won't look quite as bold worn alone but over a black base, the colours pop nicely. My least favourite is Sabbath, purely because I prefer a black base with blue sparkles to a straight-out blue. Black Dog is a fantastic matte. Great pigmentation, easy to blend & relatively little fallout. Much nicer to use than MAC's Carbon. It's second only to Sugarpill's fabulous Bulletproof for ease of use & total matte black goodness. In fact, there's not much fallout with any of these shades. No disco-ball glitter left all over your face, something other UD shadows have a tendency to do.
Packaging is nice. A small black, glittery palette which houses a mirror that's a good size for touch-ups. The liner doesn't tend to rattle around in there too much. My only issue with it is, being made of cardboard, I'm not sure how much abuse this could withstand inside your bag long-term. I've taken it out a couple of times with no damage done but it's not one I'd feel happy about keeping in my bag all the time.
Would I buy this again? No. Not because I'm not happy with it, just because it's not really a stand-out, unique item. I have other similar colours. There's a glut of matte blacks available, Cobra & Libertine in particular are very similar to shadows from NARS' Night series (Night Clubbing & Night Porter respectively). The other shades are easily enough duped in other lines too.
If you aren't awash in a sea of smoky colours or like the idea of having several in one easy to carry palette, then it's worth investigating the black palette (you'll still need a highlight colour & one to blend these dark shades out with).