Urban Decay The Black Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

4.1

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 9/10/2012 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Oh ho... I purchased this on a whim in a store when I was visiting London. The conversion rate killed me but I was so greedy I had to have it.

The colors are fantastic, I use it with a primer. Any will do. I've had UD Primer Potion, the Benefit blue tube one (Shadow Insurance? I can't remember, too lazy to check) and even the NYX primer in a balm tub. They're all great.

They're perfect for a night on the town (do people still say that anymore?) or just to vamp up your pretty eyes.

on 6/4/2011 9:44:00 AM

I heartily agree with the review directly below me. I understand that the shadows are meant to be black-based and whatnot but the effect ends up being flat and somewhat too dark, in a dirty/muddy way. I can see how someone that is really into smoky eyes would use this palette a lot, and I can also see how it can work on many ladies, but I think a good black shadow + a variety of jewel tones you may already have in your arsenal will produce similar, if not MUCH better results than this palette. The bottom line is it made me look old and dated, and rather delusional. The liner is good, I have never tried it before. I prefer the regular Primer Potion to Eden (which comes with this). Moving on!

Let me start by saying that I bought this palette on a whim because I had a coupon code for Sephora, I was going to buy the Naked Palette, saw this one at the store as well and thought why not. Therefore I had no expectations and had read no reviews.

Urban Decay's description of the palette and the colours you see in the packaging made me think I was getting black-based eyeshadows with interesting and super shiny colour reflections that would make me want to wear my smokey eyes even to put out the rubbish. Alas, this isn't the case.

Here's the deal: you get one matte black eyeshadow (Black Dog) which isn't all that dark but since most blacks aren't really black anyway I can live with that; and then you get five black-based colour eyeshadows: Barracuda (grey with silver sparkles), Jet (purple, and a disappointing one; why is a decent purple so difficult to produce?!), Sabbath (navy blue), Cobra (blackened gold with goldie sparkles) and Libertine (a very promising but disappointing dark green). You also get a black eyeliner and a tiny primer potion.

The shadows are all very smooth and easy to blend but the problem I find with them is that neither are they completely black with a colourful reflective sheen nor the exact colour you see in the pan. You really have to pack the eyeshadow on to get somewhat pan colour accuracy because once you start blending or pulling the colour out, it turns either black or grey with the tiniest colourful hue. Out of all the shades, I have to say Libertine was the most disappointing one because I thought it would be a luxurious dark green but it turns black with no dimension. Jet, the purple one, was also a disappointment but I already expected that.

This is not a bad palette for the price but really not that versatile even if it is just meant for one type of look. For me, the colours lack dimension. I could always get the shade I wanted by layering my colour of choice over a black eyeshadow but wasn't this palette designed to skip all that tedious work? I tried all the shades with either black, white or colour bases but the results weren't that exciting. In the end, I either use the shadows as liners, or blend them messily over a pencil and them add vaseline for a dirty looking rock star-like smokey look but then again you can achive the same result with ANY eyeshadow, right?

on 6/3/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was excited about this UD palette. Unfortunately i've not had much use for it. I don't reach for it often and I'm really unsure why I wanted it so badly?

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Amazing palette! I love the bottom three colours: Sabbath (blue) Cobra and Libertine (lovely green-black) I got so many compliments when wearing these, love them!

on 2/11/2011 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! I purchased it to use as eyeliners and not eyeshadow and it works awesome with the dark variety of colors. Colors in the palette are: Black Dog (black matte), Barracuda (black w/silver sparkly shift - which basically makes it look gray), Sabbath (black w/blue sparkly shift), Jet (black w/purple sparkly shift), Cobra (black w/gold sparkly shift), Libertine (black w/emerald sparkly shift) PROS: richly pigmented and easy to use as eyeliner; product lasts FOREVER since I'm using it as an eyeliner (I've been using it for 2 months now and there are no dips in any color); the sparkly shift and the color really does come out when I use it as a liner; bonus items of 2 minis UDPP in Eden and 24/7 pencil in Zero (black); price. CONS: I don't use the mini UDPP and 24/7 (but they were great to swap out); Barracuda (the gray) makes my eyes look small (something about how the pigment/sparkle reflects in light for me); Sephora Exclusive (meaning Sephora is the only place you can find this item); price. *So how is the price a pro and a con. Well, $36 is expensive - HOWEVER, if you buy/love/wear UD eyeshadow anyways - their regular shadow pot is .05 oz at $17 each and in this palette you get .01 oz less (these are .04 oz each) and you get 6 colors (plus the 2 minis). So, you could get 6 of the regular sized eyeshadow for $102 and not include the 2 mini items or $36 for .06 oz less of eyeshadow and a mini UDPP and mini 24/7 pencil. So, in the end, I see this as an excellent deal. I would definitely buy it again but I don't think I will need to in my entire lifetime! :)

on 2/4/2011 3:48:00 PM

I got this palette for Christmas, and I love it to death.
Black Dog is the perfect matte black, it's incredibly easy to work with, especially compared to UD's Oil Slick, which is a nightmare to blend.
I love wearing Barracuda all over my lid with Black Dog in the crease. I love it, it's a totally dramatic look that makes my eyes pop from behind glasses.
Jet is okay, but I expected it to be a bit brighter than it was, it was just a little too blackened, but it can definitely be used.
Sabbath is pretty and very unique, but it's the one shadow I've used the least because I just don't wear blues a lot. It's a great one though, not too black.
Cobra is okay. That's just it. It is what it is.
Not going to lie, but Libertine (at least mine) was complete shit. It's a black eye shadow. It falls apart. And when you get to a certain point in the pan, there's not even any green at all. It's disgraceful for Urban Decay.
But I did get a Zero liner with this palette, which I was in desperate need of. And you do get a travel-sized bottle of Eden primer with this palette. So for a liner, a primer, and at least 3 GREAT eyeshadows, this is worth it to me.

on 1/25/2011 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OMG THIS PALETTE!!!

I settled for this because I wanted the NAKED palette, and of course Sephora was out of stock. I like Urban Decay's eyeshadows and I love doing smokey eyes so I thought I'd be getting the best of both worlds, and I was so right.

First of all, Urban Decay eyeshadow is the bomb, period. All of it. A little goes a LONG way. You just dab the brush ever so slightly into the shadow and you've picked up enough pigment to take care of an eye. UD is coming dangerously close to stealing my MAC loyalty.

This palette is awesome because it has every possible take on "black" that you can imagine. I *think* the colors you see online aren't exactly representative of how it shows up on your eye. Most of them are quite blackish (sorry, I don't know how else to describe them), with purple or blue or gold tones to them.

I also don't think the palette is as shimmery as one might be led to believe. While I wouldn't describe the colors as "matte" (except there is one matte black in there), this also isn't that super sparkly shimmery stuff that it looks like from the web pics.

Basically, if you ever use any sort of dark colors in your makeup routing, you won't be disappointed with this palette.

Also, I was surprisingly impressed with the eyeliner it came with. It glides right on and has awesome staying power.

If I ever ran out of the colors in this, I would totally buy it again, but UD makes such a powerful product that even if I did a smokey eye every day for two years straight, I probably wouldn't run out!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I do not have much UD (just the Naked palette) but something about a palette devoted to the art of smokey eyes and deep dark shimmering blackened shades appealed to me. Maybe it's because I've been embracing black based nail polishes for awhile now so the new step was to take natural look me and see what damage I could do with a pigmented UD palette. Shades are very pigmented and a little goes a long way, they are also super blendable which is great. I was least interested in the matte black shade but it does have it's place in the realm of the dark smokey eye and I find it best to lay this shade down on the lid first, blend to darken the lid and then pat over one or more of the the shimmering shades. It's nice they include the traditional black liner in this too and these (I think) would do well as cake liners. Before I tried it my biggest concern was a highlighting shade or a shade to blend the look together (putting the dark on the lid the using a light shade from crease to brow, blending it out) but I find I don't need this. I just pick a shade and that becomes my lid color and I may lightly blend that up a bit to get a light shimmer effect. Surprisingly these shades, for as dark as they can be, can be really sheered out to make more wearable day shades though I felt the dark shades when I applied them wear not a night tie only thing but I have a light hand. Great palette! So unlike anything else I have and if you love UD these are all new shades, no repeats.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Calling all fellow rocker chicks...this is the palette for you! UD have really outdone themselves this time with The Black Palette. The colors are all black-based with green, purple, gold, silver, blue and matte black. All shades (except the matte black, of course) have sparkle. And the shades all have rock 'n roll names: "Sabbath," "Barracuda," etc. The palette even comes with black pencil eyeliner in "Zero" and a mini primer potion in "Eden." The colors are all spectacular and go on great and the primer potion does an awesome job. You can't beat the value, either: $36 for a six-shadow palette, an eyeliner pencil and a mini eye primer. In short, it rocks!