Urban Decay The Black Palette

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

3.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this a while back when it was being clearanced out from the Urban Decay website for $16. I almost didn't buy it because of the bad reviews, but I'm so glad I did. I wear black eyeshadow at the outer corners of my eyes at least 3 times a week and will do a dark smoky eye occasionally. The quality of these eyeshadows is awesome. They are extremely dark, but have zero fallout! I like Black Dog even better than the Urban Decay Perversion eyeshadow single I own. The other shades do look a lot darker once applied to my eyes than you'd expect from looking at them in the pan, so I can understand some people's disappointment. However, I wanted to mention that I used this palette on a friend that has dark skin and the colors showed up more true to pan on her. I wish I had purchased a backup of this when it was still available.

on 9/9/2012 8:58:00 PM

I saw this and immediately wanted it. I really love the darker shades and find that as I explore doing my make-up more and more that I really love the dark and smokey eye looks. I mainly do make-up for my self portraits, not so much to wear out or for other photo shoots.

So far I have only used the Libertine (the green one). The color is quite interesting because it is a black, but does have a subtle green shimmer in photos, and it is quite striking in person. I do kind of wish the green were a bit more apparent in photos, but at the same time I like the fact that it is a black with a bit of color to it.

The texture is a bit dryer than my other higher quality palette (Kat Von D), but it still goes on nicely and that was not a lot of fallout.

I will include more details as I use the other colors a bit more.

I bought this palette while it was on a clearance sale, like 12 dollars or so? Obviously, this palette is a steal for 12 dollars.
I'm not much of a dark color person, but if I ever feel the need to use dark colors I will definitely go to this palette!
As always, UD has outstanding shadows.

on 5/8/2011 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So many good reviews...But sadly, this did not work for me.
The pigmentation is amazing, and the colors look beautiful when concentrated on your eye! However, if you use multiple colors and blend them together, they look very similar as all of them are black based.

However, if the colors are padded on and not used in conjunction with each other, then this would work. But personally, I like to be able to do looks from one palette...

They should have also paired the primer with the shimmery on, which I believe is called Sin. That seems like it would work better versus Eden, although I love Eden!

I returned this palette.

on 2/27/2011 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Love this palette.....it will be a great crease palette to grab for or a dark lid fadded into a lighter color on the crease!

on 2/25/2011 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this palette! Out of all the palettes I own, I reach for this a majority of the time.The matte black is the best I've ever tried for blendability and of course urban decay's pigmentation is is awesome. I prefer the matte black in this palette over MAC's carbon and over urban decay's own perversion which is part of the permanent line.

If you're not into dark makeup, I'd skip this palette and just buy a good matte black; however, I love dark, smoky looks, so I use this palette regularly. Awesome stuff. Would defiantely buy again.

on 2/15/2011 6:51:00 PM

I bought this because I wanted a palette that i could do dark, smoky looks with. This palette is certainly good for this purpose. The colors are lovely in the pan but the are very back based and tend to come out more on the black side. Using them over fyrinnae's pixie epoxy helps the colors to comes through.Their texture is nice and for the most part I have been using the shadows over crease colors to help define the outer corners of my eyes. I like the 24/7 liners so, even though I have a few from other palettes, I will use the zero pencil that come with this. The mini primer potion in eden is nice, but I find that it does not prevent creasing as well as the original formula. While I enjoy this palette and will use it I don't think I like it enough to repurchase it.

on 12/29/2010 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

On my frequent Internet travels I've come across the Urban Decay Black Palette a few times. It's never been something I've looked in to getting myself if I'm honest, but I was bought the kit for Christmas and I was pleasantly surprised.

My favourite colour is 'Cobra', which is a really dark blacky bronze with a gold shimmer, and I use a little over my smokey eye makeup (Urban Decay Smoke Out Kit in Juju) with really thick, heavy mascara and it looks amazing.

It even comes with a full sized eyeliner in 'Zero' (my favourite) and a little bottle of the Primer Potion, which I've been after buying myself for ages.

The only downside I can see is that, as far as I know, you can't buy any of these eyeshadows separately. So if you take a particular liking to just one, then you would have to buy the entire kit again just for one eyeshadow.

However, it's definitely a kit I'd recommend if you like really dark, sultry makeup and sexy smokey eyes.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Here's my take! I just bought it today <3

BLACK DOG- Deep dark dirty black. Very matte. Very dark. I love it! 5/5

BARRACUDA- My favorite shade! It's a blackened gunmetal with just enough silver. 5/5

JET- Dark purple with cranberry undertones. It's a pretty shade nothing too exciting but I like it :) 4/5

SABBATH- Dark blue, but not Navy. It's my another favorite of mine. This is the one shade in the palette that I think could be worn straight on the lid and it would show up blue. 5/5

COBRA- The name is perfect! haha! It's the golden/olive shade. It would look pretty on the lower lashline with UD's Half Baked (which is not in this palette) 4/5

LIBERTINE- This is the shade I'm disappointed with :( It looks SO pretty in the pan but when you swatch it there is no sign of green. Maybe it would take a green color base to make it show up. 3/5

So all in all I love this palette! The eyeshadows are super soft and plush. I like that it came with Zero eyeliner. It also came with a mini Eden primer but I gave that to my mom. The packaging is SO cute! Black palette with silver glitterys all over. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I hope this review helps :) -DarkGlamour17

on 11/19/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Holy! this has become my primary nighttime-look product, it has exactly what you need for an amazing smokey eye. Very rock n roll. Sexy. I use a MAC paint pot as a base, and the colors show up really dark and rich. The shadows are so effing soft, it takes no effort to blend, they go on opaque - No streaky color! The actually tone of the colors is somewhat subdued, but it's because these are meant to look smokey, not bright. I just think this palette creates such a sexy look. My favorites for my eye color are Libertine and Cobra, and I always use Black Dog to really blacken the lashline. The little Zero 24/7 eye pencil is a nice little addition! I'm really bummed that this is not permanent, I hope Sephora decides to carry it forever!