Urban Decay The Black Palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this a while back when it was being clearanced out from the Urban Decay website for $16. I almost didn't buy it because of the bad reviews, but I'm so glad I did. I wear black eyeshadow at the outer corners of my eyes at least 3 times a week and will do a dark smoky eye occasionally. The quality of these eyeshadows is awesome. They are extremely dark, but have zero fallout! I like Black Dog even better than the Urban Decay Perversion eyeshadow single I own. The other shades do look a lot darker once applied to my eyes than you'd expect from looking at them in the pan, so I can understand some people's disappointment. However, I wanted to mention that I used this palette on a friend that has dark skin and the colors showed up more true to pan on her. I wish I had purchased a backup of this when it was still available.

on 6/28/2011 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I uploaded a picture of swatches on my hand above. I just got this palette today, and i just love looking at it! the picture i took is pretty bad because i have no real camera, but it was as close as i could get. If you apply these shadows dry, they just look like dark dusty colors of what you expect. But if you foil them or use pixie epoxy, it looks amaaaaaaaazing. It really brings out the jewel tones in the shadow and they almost glow when shone in the light! they are pretty hard to foil i find, because if any dry shadow gets around the wet, it leaves a dark ring around it like you can see in my picture, so they have to be applied carefully. Libertine doesn't look like much first, but foiled and in the light, its such a beautiful dark forest green! I love them all already!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought this eyeshadow palette on a whim. I am usually not much into dark shadow colors, but this palette really intrigued me. The colors are so rich and deep and basically, all the shadows you need for a smokey eye are right there! So convenient.
For a night out, I usually apply a lighter shadow color all over my lids, and then I will apply one of the shadows from the Black Palette on the outer V and my crease area, and blend. I get lovely smokey eyes that took literally seconds to achieve.

The shadows are all greatly pigmented, and are easy to blend. I love this palette! If you are a smokey eye lover, then this palette may be one worth looking into.

Let me start by saying that I bought this palette on a whim because I had a coupon code for Sephora, I was going to buy the Naked Palette, saw this one at the store as well and thought why not. Therefore I had no expectations and had read no reviews.

Urban Decay's description of the palette and the colours you see in the packaging made me think I was getting black-based eyeshadows with interesting and super shiny colour reflections that would make me want to wear my smokey eyes even to put out the rubbish. Alas, this isn't the case.

Here's the deal: you get one matte black eyeshadow (Black Dog) which isn't all that dark but since most blacks aren't really black anyway I can live with that; and then you get five black-based colour eyeshadows: Barracuda (grey with silver sparkles), Jet (purple, and a disappointing one; why is a decent purple so difficult to produce?!), Sabbath (navy blue), Cobra (blackened gold with goldie sparkles) and Libertine (a very promising but disappointing dark green). You also get a black eyeliner and a tiny primer potion.

The shadows are all very smooth and easy to blend but the problem I find with them is that neither are they completely black with a colourful reflective sheen nor the exact colour you see in the pan. You really have to pack the eyeshadow on to get somewhat pan colour accuracy because once you start blending or pulling the colour out, it turns either black or grey with the tiniest colourful hue. Out of all the shades, I have to say Libertine was the most disappointing one because I thought it would be a luxurious dark green but it turns black with no dimension. Jet, the purple one, was also a disappointment but I already expected that.

This is not a bad palette for the price but really not that versatile even if it is just meant for one type of look. For me, the colours lack dimension. I could always get the shade I wanted by layering my colour of choice over a black eyeshadow but wasn't this palette designed to skip all that tedious work? I tried all the shades with either black, white or colour bases but the results weren't that exciting. In the end, I either use the shadows as liners, or blend them messily over a pencil and them add vaseline for a dirty looking rock star-like smokey look but then again you can achive the same result with ANY eyeshadow, right?

on 6/3/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was excited about this UD palette. Unfortunately i've not had much use for it. I don't reach for it often and I'm really unsure why I wanted it so badly?

on 3/15/2011 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this palette! This is a beautiful color and a must have for smoky eyes. The colors are very dark and pigmented. It is important to keep in mind that this is color eyeshadow dipped in black, so it is meant to be black with some color for dimension. Eden will help hold the eyeshadow but it makes it rather flat, so I don't recommend using it with Eden. I found that the colors are beautiful and extremely colorful with Kat Von D's smoky primer. The primer picks up the colors so well, and the eyeshadows become exactly like they look in the pan so jewel tones of green, purple, blue, etc. So definitely use it with that primer

on 2/11/2011 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! I purchased it to use as eyeliners and not eyeshadow and it works awesome with the dark variety of colors. Colors in the palette are: Black Dog (black matte), Barracuda (black w/silver sparkly shift - which basically makes it look gray), Sabbath (black w/blue sparkly shift), Jet (black w/purple sparkly shift), Cobra (black w/gold sparkly shift), Libertine (black w/emerald sparkly shift) PROS: richly pigmented and easy to use as eyeliner; product lasts FOREVER since I'm using it as an eyeliner (I've been using it for 2 months now and there are no dips in any color); the sparkly shift and the color really does come out when I use it as a liner; bonus items of 2 minis UDPP in Eden and 24/7 pencil in Zero (black); price. CONS: I don't use the mini UDPP and 24/7 (but they were great to swap out); Barracuda (the gray) makes my eyes look small (something about how the pigment/sparkle reflects in light for me); Sephora Exclusive (meaning Sephora is the only place you can find this item); price. *So how is the price a pro and a con. Well, $36 is expensive - HOWEVER, if you buy/love/wear UD eyeshadow anyways - their regular shadow pot is .05 oz at $17 each and in this palette you get .01 oz less (these are .04 oz each) and you get 6 colors (plus the 2 minis). So, you could get 6 of the regular sized eyeshadow for $102 and not include the 2 mini items or $36 for .06 oz less of eyeshadow and a mini UDPP and mini 24/7 pencil. So, in the end, I see this as an excellent deal. I would definitely buy it again but I don't think I will need to in my entire lifetime! :)

I love love this palette. It only have very limited uses with all dark colors. They can really only be used in smokey eye and I have also been using them every day as my liner colors (I thought I would never use this palette and now it's my most used one in this manner because they are all together).

The colors themselves are great and gorgeous.

However, this may not be a unique addition for somebody that already has an extensive collection of colors on the darker side. Most of these colors happen to fall in a previous void in my collection.