Urban Decay The Black Palette

Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I tried so hard to like this palette. I used multiple primers (UD, NARS, Fyrinnae PE) and it still looks like different shades of black, nothing like the intense colors in the pan. The worse parts is there i couldn't even blend it because then it just looked like a bunch of black on my lids. I don't like having to put this much work into a product for such little payoff

on 5/8/2011 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So many good reviews...But sadly, this did not work for me.
The pigmentation is amazing, and the colors look beautiful when concentrated on your eye! However, if you use multiple colors and blend them together, they look very similar as all of them are black based.

However, if the colors are padded on and not used in conjunction with each other, then this would work. But personally, I like to be able to do looks from one palette...

They should have also paired the primer with the shimmery on, which I believe is called Sin. That seems like it would work better versus Eden, although I love Eden!

I returned this palette.

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I actually did not purchase this but saw it in the store-nothing to write home about. resembles the old Smashbox smokey eye palette, which I still have. Thats why I didn't bother purchasing this item.

on 11/16/2010 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Sorry to be a party pooper here but this just didn't work out for me. I always do smokey eyes and thought this would be awesome for me.
It wasn't.
I thought oh great I could have different colored dark e/s.
Bah, it was dumb
All u have to do to get a dark colored e/s like these is add black to whatever color u want and bam ur good.
Plus, it's too expensive. I found better dupes from Fyrinnae at a cheaper price. Plus, they are more sparkly and give u that bam look i was looking for.
This just felt like a no-brainer. I returned it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love the darks, and I loved Chanel Les Boutons, but I find that Chanel eyeshadows bother me a bit. UD never bothers me. I haven't tried all the colours yet, just Libertine because I wore green today. I will add comments on the other colours after I wear them.

I found that it was very pigmented. I did get a dark green out of it - it was true to the pan - but I did use UD primer under it. First suggestion, make sure that the primer is completely dry.

It grabs hard, so where you touch your brush, the shadow will stick. Blending is not so easy. My suggestion: use a highlighting power over the whole eye, liberally, before applying the UD shadow.

I use a small Chanel 15 brush to apply. I love this brush, it picks up just the right amount and it is very easy to use. I also use the pencil brush blender thingy from makeup forever that I love for blending afterwards - great for getting into the crease and making the V. Actually both work easily as well.

There was no fallout whatsoever. I had to brush nothing away. That, in and of itself, was pretty amazing. It sticks to the skin like a magnet. I wore it for 16 hours straight and not a budge and no touch up needed. I was able to blend it to a nice smokey shade for day and it was wearable no problem and the colour was not black which was nice.

I kind of liked the pencil it comes with - very easy to apply, nice and soft and makes a good line, but a little waxy maybe and it melted throughout the day. I prefer a wet liner with a dry brushing on top to even it out. I am not sure I would buy this pencil...would have to use it some more.

This is a great palette for smokey eyes and I know smokey eyes and smokey eye palettes. I like the ease of the palette and the variety of darker shades, including the inky black. The names are great and I do love a good name. It isn't horribly expensive, and you get quite a bit for each colour, but the mini liner and the mini Eden which I am not in love with at all but hey, I get to try it without spending money on it.

I would always like to keep a palette like this in my stash, especially for the fall and winter months. I think I will make very good use of the palette.

More to come later on the other colours....if there is something to report! Oh yes, and this palette absolutely does not bother my eyes.

Update: I did Jet today, the purple one. It was purple, but more black than purple. Very dark purple when smudged, didn't make my eyes pop per se, BUT, what the shadow does, with a lot of blending and work, it made my eyes sultry and come hither, a look I really liked. With a great finished complexion and just a light lipstick and gloss, I definitely got my fair share of looks. Still a keeper, but it is hard to apply so be sure to allow enough time. Oh yes, this time, I put it under my eye and used Chanel Clair on my inner bottom of my eye and then just mascara, no eye liner. It looked good.

Update: Yesterday, I did barracuda with Clarins teal on the lid. Blend blend blend, had a TON of compliments. I always get compliments with that Clarins teal anyway, but with the barracuda underneath, at the edge and in the crease, this seems to be a winning combination. Today, I did Sabbath, it is a dark blue and it seems to stay that way on me, but I am going to try it with a touch of Dior periwinkle on the lid. I think I am coming to the conclusion that these are great colours WITH something brighter blended in and it is a matter of finding the right combination.

Update: the more I use them, the more I don't love them. I am back to Chanel Boutons and I think I achieve a better look, a softer look. But, the blue.silver combo I wrote about works, it is just not buildable colour and if not careful, what a dark mess. That said, if you love smokey dark eyes, this is nice, and the colours can be fantastic liners!

UPDATE: Ages later, I am still periodically trying to wear this. Barely made a dent in them. Too much fallout when applying, too dark too fast, no blendability. The pencil I never use anymore, too slippery and it gets messy pretty fast. I use UD potion everywhere, doesn't matter, the pencil is just too soft, too oily. Nope, this palette is a loser. I am giving up. Downgraded to two stars - one for high pigment payoff and lasting power, and one for non-irritating.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This palette is just okay . It's pretty decent if you want something for dramatic smokey eyes, but you'd be better off buying a palette with a wider range of colours that includes a few darker colours than this one.

on 9/9/2012 8:58:00 PM

I saw this and immediately wanted it. I really love the darker shades and find that as I explore doing my make-up more and more that I really love the dark and smokey eye looks. I mainly do make-up for my self portraits, not so much to wear out or for other photo shoots.

So far I have only used the Libertine (the green one). The color is quite interesting because it is a black, but does have a subtle green shimmer in photos, and it is quite striking in person. I do kind of wish the green were a bit more apparent in photos, but at the same time I like the fact that it is a black with a bit of color to it.

The texture is a bit dryer than my other higher quality palette (Kat Von D), but it still goes on nicely and that was not a lot of fallout.

I will include more details as I use the other colors a bit more.

I bought this palette a while ago, and the tester i tried had far more colours true to the oan than the version i took home,which irritated me.
I wish I had bought the Ammo palette instead, as the shadows are all really pigmented and easy to blend,but once you actually blend them you cannot see the seperate colours very well,and they all just look blacky-grey.
Very disappointed in this product.Nice pigmented colours though,with easy blending and good for a smokey eye.

on 8/29/2011 11:39:00 AM

Picked up this palette last year since it looked like I could create a few colour variations on a smokey eye with it.

First, the BEST shade is Black Dog. I have never used such a pigmented matte black shadow ever. Blends far better than is competition, except perhaps Nars Pandora.

The rest of the shades, while all looking very different in pan, all seem to go an ashy grey once on the skin. There is very little variation between them. Certainly not enough to warrant this being a 60 dollar palette. I have had slightly more luck applying them wet, however then they loose blendability. Overall, I would stay away from this one.

on 6/4/2011 9:44:00 AM

I heartily agree with the review directly below me. I understand that the shadows are meant to be black-based and whatnot but the effect ends up being flat and somewhat too dark, in a dirty/muddy way. I can see how someone that is really into smoky eyes would use this palette a lot, and I can also see how it can work on many ladies, but I think a good black shadow + a variety of jewel tones you may already have in your arsenal will produce similar, if not MUCH better results than this palette. The bottom line is it made me look old and dated, and rather delusional. The liner is good, I have never tried it before. I prefer the regular Primer Potion to Eden (which comes with this). Moving on!