Urban Decay The Black Palette

Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Good golly Miss Molly oh today was a wonderful day went to Boots & came across a NEW Urban Decay Palette, I have only had my NAKED palette 2 weeks and here comes the gorgeous sexy Rocker Girl Chic 'The Black Palette' 6 gorgeous black based colours - all new colours I believe described as Jewel tones dipped in black, deep dark plum, forrest green, olive, and dark royal/almost navy blue, with a silvery grey and matte sooty black.

****please bare in mind the shades are mainly black based with a shot of colour which works for me as I dont have a lot of dark shades in my collection and wanted deep dark moody smokey colours, some people may find they can get the same effect layering coloured shimmer shadows over a black base.

****Please note that if you rub or blend the colour onto your lid the black will spread all over it and it will end up looking black so instead i patted it on with my fingers and blended the edges this kept the colour on.

I personally was looking for subdued tones suitable for work and daytime and not bright shimmery finishes which can obviously still be achieved by layering on top of these but not for everyday looks.

I do think this will be the least popular UD palette as the coulours are quite flat but this can be fixed with perhaps 'pixie epoxy' primer (check it out online) or using wet to make intense and vibrant, for me its not about using this palette on its own its about how the colours in the pallette fit into my collection as a whole I only really have quite bright shimmery colours typical UD shades but I feel this palette will help create more varied looks. i would swatch before buying most definately as this wont be for everyone.
This is why even thoughits my current fave palette i have still rated it one lippie off the naked palette which has more universal appeal

I am a MAC C40 and these colours work well on me not so sure how they would translate on fairer complexions maybe a bit too Gothic but some people love that. The shadows are non glittery just a hint of shimmer, I have no other colours like these in my collection and thats why its my new favourite UD palette even after only owning it and playing with it for 3 hours. I also have the Deluxe, the Ammo and Naked. I do not own any Book of Shadows I find the packaging a bit gimmicky sorry to those ladies who love them also the Books are a bit bulky and I had alot of the shades in my first 2 palettes and did not want repeats or very similar colours so i like the compact smaller palettes.

Collectors will love this palette for the fact that you will be adding new unique shades to your collection, colours I have not seen in Permanent Mac Line.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love the darks, and I loved Chanel Les Boutons, but I find that Chanel eyeshadows bother me a bit. UD never bothers me. I haven't tried all the colours yet, just Libertine because I wore green today. I will add comments on the other colours after I wear them.

I found that it was very pigmented. I did get a dark green out of it - it was true to the pan - but I did use UD primer under it. First suggestion, make sure that the primer is completely dry.

It grabs hard, so where you touch your brush, the shadow will stick. Blending is not so easy. My suggestion: use a highlighting power over the whole eye, liberally, before applying the UD shadow.

I use a small Chanel 15 brush to apply. I love this brush, it picks up just the right amount and it is very easy to use. I also use the pencil brush blender thingy from makeup forever that I love for blending afterwards - great for getting into the crease and making the V. Actually both work easily as well.

There was no fallout whatsoever. I had to brush nothing away. That, in and of itself, was pretty amazing. It sticks to the skin like a magnet. I wore it for 16 hours straight and not a budge and no touch up needed. I was able to blend it to a nice smokey shade for day and it was wearable no problem and the colour was not black which was nice.

I kind of liked the pencil it comes with - very easy to apply, nice and soft and makes a good line, but a little waxy maybe and it melted throughout the day. I prefer a wet liner with a dry brushing on top to even it out. I am not sure I would buy this pencil...would have to use it some more.

This is a great palette for smokey eyes and I know smokey eyes and smokey eye palettes. I like the ease of the palette and the variety of darker shades, including the inky black. The names are great and I do love a good name. It isn't horribly expensive, and you get quite a bit for each colour, but the mini liner and the mini Eden which I am not in love with at all but hey, I get to try it without spending money on it.

I would always like to keep a palette like this in my stash, especially for the fall and winter months. I think I will make very good use of the palette.

More to come later on the other colours....if there is something to report! Oh yes, and this palette absolutely does not bother my eyes.

Update: I did Jet today, the purple one. It was purple, but more black than purple. Very dark purple when smudged, didn't make my eyes pop per se, BUT, what the shadow does, with a lot of blending and work, it made my eyes sultry and come hither, a look I really liked. With a great finished complexion and just a light lipstick and gloss, I definitely got my fair share of looks. Still a keeper, but it is hard to apply so be sure to allow enough time. Oh yes, this time, I put it under my eye and used Chanel Clair on my inner bottom of my eye and then just mascara, no eye liner. It looked good.

Update: Yesterday, I did barracuda with Clarins teal on the lid. Blend blend blend, had a TON of compliments. I always get compliments with that Clarins teal anyway, but with the barracuda underneath, at the edge and in the crease, this seems to be a winning combination. Today, I did Sabbath, it is a dark blue and it seems to stay that way on me, but I am going to try it with a touch of Dior periwinkle on the lid. I think I am coming to the conclusion that these are great colours WITH something brighter blended in and it is a matter of finding the right combination.

Update: the more I use them, the more I don't love them. I am back to Chanel Boutons and I think I achieve a better look, a softer look. But, the blue.silver combo I wrote about works, it is just not buildable colour and if not careful, what a dark mess. That said, if you love smokey dark eyes, this is nice, and the colours can be fantastic liners!

UPDATE: Ages later, I am still periodically trying to wear this. Barely made a dent in them. Too much fallout when applying, too dark too fast, no blendability. The pencil I never use anymore, too slippery and it gets messy pretty fast. I use UD potion everywhere, doesn't matter, the pencil is just too soft, too oily. Nope, this palette is a loser. I am giving up. Downgraded to two stars - one for high pigment payoff and lasting power, and one for non-irritating.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really didn't need to buy this but I love dark shadows & the idea of several in one palette was the main attraction for me.
The palette is quite small, so it'd be easy to travel with. Inside, there's six shadows - Black Dog (matte black), Barracuda (a shimmery charcoal), Jet (shimmery purple), Sabbath (shimmery blue), Cobra (black with a golden/olive shimmer) & Libertine (black with green shimmer). There's also a mini 24/7 liner in Zero. A small primer potion in Eden came with the set but doesn't actually fit inside the palette.
I've worn each colour & have been quite happy with them. They probably won't look quite as bold worn alone but over a black base, the colours pop nicely. My least favourite is Sabbath, purely because I prefer a black base with blue sparkles to a straight-out blue. Black Dog is a fantastic matte. Great pigmentation, easy to blend & relatively little fallout. Much nicer to use than MAC's Carbon. It's second only to Sugarpill's fabulous Bulletproof for ease of use & total matte black goodness. In fact, there's not much fallout with any of these shades. No disco-ball glitter left all over your face, something other UD shadows have a tendency to do.
Packaging is nice. A small black, glittery palette which houses a mirror that's a good size for touch-ups. The liner doesn't tend to rattle around in there too much. My only issue with it is, being made of cardboard, I'm not sure how much abuse this could withstand inside your bag long-term. I've taken it out a couple of times with no damage done but it's not one I'd feel happy about keeping in my bag all the time.
Would I buy this again? No. Not because I'm not happy with it, just because it's not really a stand-out, unique item. I have other similar colours. There's a glut of matte blacks available, Cobra & Libertine in particular are very similar to shadows from NARS' Night series (Night Clubbing & Night Porter respectively). The other shades are easily enough duped in other lines too.
If you aren't awash in a sea of smoky colours or like the idea of having several in one easy to carry palette, then it's worth investigating the black palette (you'll still need a highlight colour & one to blend these dark shades out with).

on 10/29/2011 10:22:00 PM

Currently. my favourite palette! I am a fan of dark eyeshadow colors and this black palette has the basic colors.
The amazing part of this palette is that, the more you blend the eyeshadow, it become darker and darker which resembles black eyeshadow but you still see hints of the actual colors like Barracuda which is silvery grey.
The color texture is good, easy to blend, intense color and long lasting! You just need to apply 1 or 2 layers to get the look!

on 6/3/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was excited about this UD palette. Unfortunately i've not had much use for it. I don't reach for it often and I'm really unsure why I wanted it so badly?

on 3/15/2011 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this palette! This is a beautiful color and a must have for smoky eyes. The colors are very dark and pigmented. It is important to keep in mind that this is color eyeshadow dipped in black, so it is meant to be black with some color for dimension. Eden will help hold the eyeshadow but it makes it rather flat, so I don't recommend using it with Eden. I found that the colors are beautiful and extremely colorful with Kat Von D's smoky primer. The primer picks up the colors so well, and the eyeshadows become exactly like they look in the pan so jewel tones of green, purple, blue, etc. So definitely use it with that primer

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Here's my take! I just bought it today <3

BLACK DOG- Deep dark dirty black. Very matte. Very dark. I love it! 5/5

BARRACUDA- My favorite shade! It's a blackened gunmetal with just enough silver. 5/5

JET- Dark purple with cranberry undertones. It's a pretty shade nothing too exciting but I like it :) 4/5

SABBATH- Dark blue, but not Navy. It's my another favorite of mine. This is the one shade in the palette that I think could be worn straight on the lid and it would show up blue. 5/5

COBRA- The name is perfect! haha! It's the golden/olive shade. It would look pretty on the lower lashline with UD's Half Baked (which is not in this palette) 4/5

LIBERTINE- This is the shade I'm disappointed with :( It looks SO pretty in the pan but when you swatch it there is no sign of green. Maybe it would take a green color base to make it show up. 3/5

So all in all I love this palette! The eyeshadows are super soft and plush. I like that it came with Zero eyeliner. It also came with a mini Eden primer but I gave that to my mom. The packaging is SO cute! Black palette with silver glitterys all over. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I hope this review helps :) -DarkGlamour17

on 11/19/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Holy! this has become my primary nighttime-look product, it has exactly what you need for an amazing smokey eye. Very rock n roll. Sexy. I use a MAC paint pot as a base, and the colors show up really dark and rich. The shadows are so effing soft, it takes no effort to blend, they go on opaque - No streaky color! The actually tone of the colors is somewhat subdued, but it's because these are meant to look smokey, not bright. I just think this palette creates such a sexy look. My favorites for my eye color are Libertine and Cobra, and I always use Black Dog to really blacken the lashline. The little Zero 24/7 eye pencil is a nice little addition! I'm really bummed that this is not permanent, I hope Sephora decides to carry it forever!

on 8/29/2011 11:39:00 AM

Picked up this palette last year since it looked like I could create a few colour variations on a smokey eye with it.

First, the BEST shade is Black Dog. I have never used such a pigmented matte black shadow ever. Blends far better than is competition, except perhaps Nars Pandora.

The rest of the shades, while all looking very different in pan, all seem to go an ashy grey once on the skin. There is very little variation between them. Certainly not enough to warrant this being a 60 dollar palette. I have had slightly more luck applying them wet, however then they loose blendability. Overall, I would stay away from this one.

Let me start by saying that I bought this palette on a whim because I had a coupon code for Sephora, I was going to buy the Naked Palette, saw this one at the store as well and thought why not. Therefore I had no expectations and had read no reviews.

Urban Decay's description of the palette and the colours you see in the packaging made me think I was getting black-based eyeshadows with interesting and super shiny colour reflections that would make me want to wear my smokey eyes even to put out the rubbish. Alas, this isn't the case.

Here's the deal: you get one matte black eyeshadow (Black Dog) which isn't all that dark but since most blacks aren't really black anyway I can live with that; and then you get five black-based colour eyeshadows: Barracuda (grey with silver sparkles), Jet (purple, and a disappointing one; why is a decent purple so difficult to produce?!), Sabbath (navy blue), Cobra (blackened gold with goldie sparkles) and Libertine (a very promising but disappointing dark green). You also get a black eyeliner and a tiny primer potion.

The shadows are all very smooth and easy to blend but the problem I find with them is that neither are they completely black with a colourful reflective sheen nor the exact colour you see in the pan. You really have to pack the eyeshadow on to get somewhat pan colour accuracy because once you start blending or pulling the colour out, it turns either black or grey with the tiniest colourful hue. Out of all the shades, I have to say Libertine was the most disappointing one because I thought it would be a luxurious dark green but it turns black with no dimension. Jet, the purple one, was also a disappointment but I already expected that.

This is not a bad palette for the price but really not that versatile even if it is just meant for one type of look. For me, the colours lack dimension. I could always get the shade I wanted by layering my colour of choice over a black eyeshadow but wasn't this palette designed to skip all that tedious work? I tried all the shades with either black, white or colour bases but the results weren't that exciting. In the end, I either use the shadows as liners, or blend them messily over a pencil and them add vaseline for a dirty looking rock star-like smokey look but then again you can achive the same result with ANY eyeshadow, right?