Urban Decay The Black Palette

Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Good golly Miss Molly oh today was a wonderful day went to Boots & came across a NEW Urban Decay Palette, I have only had my NAKED palette 2 weeks and here comes the gorgeous sexy Rocker Girl Chic 'The Black Palette' 6 gorgeous black based colours - all new colours I believe described as Jewel tones dipped in black, deep dark plum, forrest green, olive, and dark royal/almost navy blue, with a silvery grey and matte sooty black.

****please bare in mind the shades are mainly black based with a shot of colour which works for me as I dont have a lot of dark shades in my collection and wanted deep dark moody smokey colours, some people may find they can get the same effect layering coloured shimmer shadows over a black base.

****Please note that if you rub or blend the colour onto your lid the black will spread all over it and it will end up looking black so instead i patted it on with my fingers and blended the edges this kept the colour on.

I personally was looking for subdued tones suitable for work and daytime and not bright shimmery finishes which can obviously still be achieved by layering on top of these but not for everyday looks.

I do think this will be the least popular UD palette as the coulours are quite flat but this can be fixed with perhaps 'pixie epoxy' primer (check it out online) or using wet to make intense and vibrant, for me its not about using this palette on its own its about how the colours in the pallette fit into my collection as a whole I only really have quite bright shimmery colours typical UD shades but I feel this palette will help create more varied looks. i would swatch before buying most definately as this wont be for everyone.
This is why even thoughits my current fave palette i have still rated it one lippie off the naked palette which has more universal appeal

I am a MAC C40 and these colours work well on me not so sure how they would translate on fairer complexions maybe a bit too Gothic but some people love that. The shadows are non glittery just a hint of shimmer, I have no other colours like these in my collection and thats why its my new favourite UD palette even after only owning it and playing with it for 3 hours. I also have the Deluxe, the Ammo and Naked. I do not own any Book of Shadows I find the packaging a bit gimmicky sorry to those ladies who love them also the Books are a bit bulky and I had alot of the shades in my first 2 palettes and did not want repeats or very similar colours so i like the compact smaller palettes.

Collectors will love this palette for the fact that you will be adding new unique shades to your collection, colours I have not seen in Permanent Mac Line.

I'm quite on the fence with this palette.
Urban Decay have bought out some amazing palettes this year (The Alice Palette, the new BOS and the Naked palette) I've been in makeup HEAVEN and I'm so happy with the other three, I also got the Vegan palette with the Black palette from Debenhams. The colours in the black palette just don't seem any different to ones I've got from NYX, I don't like how careful you have to be to see the colour because if you press too hard they will all come out black.
I guess I need to play around with it better. I don't think I would buy again. I think UD could have done so much more with this palette

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really didn't need to buy this but I love dark shadows & the idea of several in one palette was the main attraction for me.
The palette is quite small, so it'd be easy to travel with. Inside, there's six shadows - Black Dog (matte black), Barracuda (a shimmery charcoal), Jet (shimmery purple), Sabbath (shimmery blue), Cobra (black with a golden/olive shimmer) & Libertine (black with green shimmer). There's also a mini 24/7 liner in Zero. A small primer potion in Eden came with the set but doesn't actually fit inside the palette.
I've worn each colour & have been quite happy with them. They probably won't look quite as bold worn alone but over a black base, the colours pop nicely. My least favourite is Sabbath, purely because I prefer a black base with blue sparkles to a straight-out blue. Black Dog is a fantastic matte. Great pigmentation, easy to blend & relatively little fallout. Much nicer to use than MAC's Carbon. It's second only to Sugarpill's fabulous Bulletproof for ease of use & total matte black goodness. In fact, there's not much fallout with any of these shades. No disco-ball glitter left all over your face, something other UD shadows have a tendency to do.
Packaging is nice. A small black, glittery palette which houses a mirror that's a good size for touch-ups. The liner doesn't tend to rattle around in there too much. My only issue with it is, being made of cardboard, I'm not sure how much abuse this could withstand inside your bag long-term. I've taken it out a couple of times with no damage done but it's not one I'd feel happy about keeping in my bag all the time.
Would I buy this again? No. Not because I'm not happy with it, just because it's not really a stand-out, unique item. I have other similar colours. There's a glut of matte blacks available, Cobra & Libertine in particular are very similar to shadows from NARS' Night series (Night Clubbing & Night Porter respectively). The other shades are easily enough duped in other lines too.
If you aren't awash in a sea of smoky colours or like the idea of having several in one easy to carry palette, then it's worth investigating the black palette (you'll still need a highlight colour & one to blend these dark shades out with).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love the darks, and I loved Chanel Les Boutons, but I find that Chanel eyeshadows bother me a bit. UD never bothers me. I haven't tried all the colours yet, just Libertine because I wore green today. I will add comments on the other colours after I wear them.

I found that it was very pigmented. I did get a dark green out of it - it was true to the pan - but I did use UD primer under it. First suggestion, make sure that the primer is completely dry.

It grabs hard, so where you touch your brush, the shadow will stick. Blending is not so easy. My suggestion: use a highlighting power over the whole eye, liberally, before applying the UD shadow.

I use a small Chanel 15 brush to apply. I love this brush, it picks up just the right amount and it is very easy to use. I also use the pencil brush blender thingy from makeup forever that I love for blending afterwards - great for getting into the crease and making the V. Actually both work easily as well.

There was no fallout whatsoever. I had to brush nothing away. That, in and of itself, was pretty amazing. It sticks to the skin like a magnet. I wore it for 16 hours straight and not a budge and no touch up needed. I was able to blend it to a nice smokey shade for day and it was wearable no problem and the colour was not black which was nice.

I kind of liked the pencil it comes with - very easy to apply, nice and soft and makes a good line, but a little waxy maybe and it melted throughout the day. I prefer a wet liner with a dry brushing on top to even it out. I am not sure I would buy this pencil...would have to use it some more.

This is a great palette for smokey eyes and I know smokey eyes and smokey eye palettes. I like the ease of the palette and the variety of darker shades, including the inky black. The names are great and I do love a good name. It isn't horribly expensive, and you get quite a bit for each colour, but the mini liner and the mini Eden which I am not in love with at all but hey, I get to try it without spending money on it.

I would always like to keep a palette like this in my stash, especially for the fall and winter months. I think I will make very good use of the palette.

More to come later on the other colours....if there is something to report! Oh yes, and this palette absolutely does not bother my eyes.

Update: I did Jet today, the purple one. It was purple, but more black than purple. Very dark purple when smudged, didn't make my eyes pop per se, BUT, what the shadow does, with a lot of blending and work, it made my eyes sultry and come hither, a look I really liked. With a great finished complexion and just a light lipstick and gloss, I definitely got my fair share of looks. Still a keeper, but it is hard to apply so be sure to allow enough time. Oh yes, this time, I put it under my eye and used Chanel Clair on my inner bottom of my eye and then just mascara, no eye liner. It looked good.

Update: Yesterday, I did barracuda with Clarins teal on the lid. Blend blend blend, had a TON of compliments. I always get compliments with that Clarins teal anyway, but with the barracuda underneath, at the edge and in the crease, this seems to be a winning combination. Today, I did Sabbath, it is a dark blue and it seems to stay that way on me, but I am going to try it with a touch of Dior periwinkle on the lid. I think I am coming to the conclusion that these are great colours WITH something brighter blended in and it is a matter of finding the right combination.

Update: the more I use them, the more I don't love them. I am back to Chanel Boutons and I think I achieve a better look, a softer look. But, the blue.silver combo I wrote about works, it is just not buildable colour and if not careful, what a dark mess. That said, if you love smokey dark eyes, this is nice, and the colours can be fantastic liners!

UPDATE: Ages later, I am still periodically trying to wear this. Barely made a dent in them. Too much fallout when applying, too dark too fast, no blendability. The pencil I never use anymore, too slippery and it gets messy pretty fast. I use UD potion everywhere, doesn't matter, the pencil is just too soft, too oily. Nope, this palette is a loser. I am giving up. Downgraded to two stars - one for high pigment payoff and lasting power, and one for non-irritating.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

as someone who loves smokey eyes, this palette is a key part to my collection. i also love that they included the new matte primer with this because i've been dying to try it & i'm sick of always getting the sin primer. the shadows can be a little difficult to pull off the pan, but they apply well & blend easy. be careful for fallout though, which generally always happens with UD shadows. either way, i am loving this palette & i recommend it to all those looking for a nice collection of colours for all types of smokey looks.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Calling all fellow rocker chicks...this is the palette for you! UD have really outdone themselves this time with The Black Palette. The colors are all black-based with green, purple, gold, silver, blue and matte black. All shades (except the matte black, of course) have sparkle. And the shades all have rock 'n roll names: "Sabbath," "Barracuda," etc. The palette even comes with black pencil eyeliner in "Zero" and a mini primer potion in "Eden." The colors are all spectacular and go on great and the primer potion does an awesome job. You can't beat the value, either: $36 for a six-shadow palette, an eyeliner pencil and a mini eye primer. In short, it rocks!

on 11/16/2010 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Sorry to be a party pooper here but this just didn't work out for me. I always do smokey eyes and thought this would be awesome for me.
It wasn't.
I thought oh great I could have different colored dark e/s.
Bah, it was dumb
All u have to do to get a dark colored e/s like these is add black to whatever color u want and bam ur good.
Plus, it's too expensive. I found better dupes from Fyrinnae at a cheaper price. Plus, they are more sparkly and give u that bam look i was looking for.
This just felt like a no-brainer. I returned it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I do not have much UD (just the Naked palette) but something about a palette devoted to the art of smokey eyes and deep dark shimmering blackened shades appealed to me. Maybe it's because I've been embracing black based nail polishes for awhile now so the new step was to take natural look me and see what damage I could do with a pigmented UD palette. Shades are very pigmented and a little goes a long way, they are also super blendable which is great. I was least interested in the matte black shade but it does have it's place in the realm of the dark smokey eye and I find it best to lay this shade down on the lid first, blend to darken the lid and then pat over one or more of the the shimmering shades. It's nice they include the traditional black liner in this too and these (I think) would do well as cake liners. Before I tried it my biggest concern was a highlighting shade or a shade to blend the look together (putting the dark on the lid the using a light shade from crease to brow, blending it out) but I find I don't need this. I just pick a shade and that becomes my lid color and I may lightly blend that up a bit to get a light shimmer effect. Surprisingly these shades, for as dark as they can be, can be really sheered out to make more wearable day shades though I felt the dark shades when I applied them wear not a night tie only thing but I have a light hand. Great palette! So unlike anything else I have and if you love UD these are all new shades, no repeats.

on 11/19/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Holy! this has become my primary nighttime-look product, it has exactly what you need for an amazing smokey eye. Very rock n roll. Sexy. I use a MAC paint pot as a base, and the colors show up really dark and rich. The shadows are so effing soft, it takes no effort to blend, they go on opaque - No streaky color! The actually tone of the colors is somewhat subdued, but it's because these are meant to look smokey, not bright. I just think this palette creates such a sexy look. My favorites for my eye color are Libertine and Cobra, and I always use Black Dog to really blacken the lashline. The little Zero 24/7 eye pencil is a nice little addition! I'm really bummed that this is not permanent, I hope Sephora decides to carry it forever!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Here's my take! I just bought it today <3

BLACK DOG- Deep dark dirty black. Very matte. Very dark. I love it! 5/5

BARRACUDA- My favorite shade! It's a blackened gunmetal with just enough silver. 5/5

JET- Dark purple with cranberry undertones. It's a pretty shade nothing too exciting but I like it :) 4/5

SABBATH- Dark blue, but not Navy. It's my another favorite of mine. This is the one shade in the palette that I think could be worn straight on the lid and it would show up blue. 5/5

COBRA- The name is perfect! haha! It's the golden/olive shade. It would look pretty on the lower lashline with UD's Half Baked (which is not in this palette) 4/5

LIBERTINE- This is the shade I'm disappointed with :( It looks SO pretty in the pan but when you swatch it there is no sign of green. Maybe it would take a green color base to make it show up. 3/5

So all in all I love this palette! The eyeshadows are super soft and plush. I like that it came with Zero eyeliner. It also came with a mini Eden primer but I gave that to my mom. The packaging is SO cute! Black palette with silver glitterys all over. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I hope this review helps :) -DarkGlamour17