Urban Decay The Black Palette

Filtered by age: 44-55
Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

2.0

1 review

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love the darks, and I loved Chanel Les Boutons, but I find that Chanel eyeshadows bother me a bit. UD never bothers me. I haven't tried all the colours yet, just Libertine because I wore green today. I will add comments on the other colours after I wear them.

I found that it was very pigmented. I did get a dark green out of it - it was true to the pan - but I did use UD primer under it. First suggestion, make sure that the primer is completely dry.

It grabs hard, so where you touch your brush, the shadow will stick. Blending is not so easy. My suggestion: use a highlighting power over the whole eye, liberally, before applying the UD shadow.

I use a small Chanel 15 brush to apply. I love this brush, it picks up just the right amount and it is very easy to use. I also use the pencil brush blender thingy from makeup forever that I love for blending afterwards - great for getting into the crease and making the V. Actually both work easily as well.

There was no fallout whatsoever. I had to brush nothing away. That, in and of itself, was pretty amazing. It sticks to the skin like a magnet. I wore it for 16 hours straight and not a budge and no touch up needed. I was able to blend it to a nice smokey shade for day and it was wearable no problem and the colour was not black which was nice.

I kind of liked the pencil it comes with - very easy to apply, nice and soft and makes a good line, but a little waxy maybe and it melted throughout the day. I prefer a wet liner with a dry brushing on top to even it out. I am not sure I would buy this pencil...would have to use it some more.

This is a great palette for smokey eyes and I know smokey eyes and smokey eye palettes. I like the ease of the palette and the variety of darker shades, including the inky black. The names are great and I do love a good name. It isn't horribly expensive, and you get quite a bit for each colour, but the mini liner and the mini Eden which I am not in love with at all but hey, I get to try it without spending money on it.

I would always like to keep a palette like this in my stash, especially for the fall and winter months. I think I will make very good use of the palette.

More to come later on the other colours....if there is something to report! Oh yes, and this palette absolutely does not bother my eyes.

Update: I did Jet today, the purple one. It was purple, but more black than purple. Very dark purple when smudged, didn't make my eyes pop per se, BUT, what the shadow does, with a lot of blending and work, it made my eyes sultry and come hither, a look I really liked. With a great finished complexion and just a light lipstick and gloss, I definitely got my fair share of looks. Still a keeper, but it is hard to apply so be sure to allow enough time. Oh yes, this time, I put it under my eye and used Chanel Clair on my inner bottom of my eye and then just mascara, no eye liner. It looked good.

Update: Yesterday, I did barracuda with Clarins teal on the lid. Blend blend blend, had a TON of compliments. I always get compliments with that Clarins teal anyway, but with the barracuda underneath, at the edge and in the crease, this seems to be a winning combination. Today, I did Sabbath, it is a dark blue and it seems to stay that way on me, but I am going to try it with a touch of Dior periwinkle on the lid. I think I am coming to the conclusion that these are great colours WITH something brighter blended in and it is a matter of finding the right combination.

Update: the more I use them, the more I don't love them. I am back to Chanel Boutons and I think I achieve a better look, a softer look. But, the blue.silver combo I wrote about works, it is just not buildable colour and if not careful, what a dark mess. That said, if you love smokey dark eyes, this is nice, and the colours can be fantastic liners!

UPDATE: Ages later, I am still periodically trying to wear this. Barely made a dent in them. Too much fallout when applying, too dark too fast, no blendability. The pencil I never use anymore, too slippery and it gets messy pretty fast. I use UD potion everywhere, doesn't matter, the pencil is just too soft, too oily. Nope, this palette is a loser. I am giving up. Downgraded to two stars - one for high pigment payoff and lasting power, and one for non-irritating.