Urban Decay The Black Palette

Filtered by age: 25-29
Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

3.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This palette is just okay . It's pretty decent if you want something for dramatic smokey eyes, but you'd be better off buying a palette with a wider range of colours that includes a few darker colours than this one.

on 9/9/2012 8:58:00 PM

I saw this and immediately wanted it. I really love the darker shades and find that as I explore doing my make-up more and more that I really love the dark and smokey eye looks. I mainly do make-up for my self portraits, not so much to wear out or for other photo shoots.

So far I have only used the Libertine (the green one). The color is quite interesting because it is a black, but does have a subtle green shimmer in photos, and it is quite striking in person. I do kind of wish the green were a bit more apparent in photos, but at the same time I like the fact that it is a black with a bit of color to it.

The texture is a bit dryer than my other higher quality palette (Kat Von D), but it still goes on nicely and that was not a lot of fallout.

I will include more details as I use the other colors a bit more.

I tried so hard to like this palette. I used multiple primers (UD, NARS, Fyrinnae PE) and it still looks like different shades of black, nothing like the intense colors in the pan. The worse parts is there i couldn't even blend it because then it just looked like a bunch of black on my lids. I don't like having to put this much work into a product for such little payoff

on 10/29/2011 10:22:00 PM

Currently. my favourite palette! I am a fan of dark eyeshadow colors and this black palette has the basic colors.
The amazing part of this palette is that, the more you blend the eyeshadow, it become darker and darker which resembles black eyeshadow but you still see hints of the actual colors like Barracuda which is silvery grey.
The color texture is good, easy to blend, intense color and long lasting! You just need to apply 1 or 2 layers to get the look!

on 8/29/2011 11:39:00 AM

Picked up this palette last year since it looked like I could create a few colour variations on a smokey eye with it.

First, the BEST shade is Black Dog. I have never used such a pigmented matte black shadow ever. Blends far better than is competition, except perhaps Nars Pandora.

The rest of the shades, while all looking very different in pan, all seem to go an ashy grey once on the skin. There is very little variation between them. Certainly not enough to warrant this being a 60 dollar palette. I have had slightly more luck applying them wet, however then they loose blendability. Overall, I would stay away from this one.

on 6/4/2011 9:44:00 AM

I heartily agree with the review directly below me. I understand that the shadows are meant to be black-based and whatnot but the effect ends up being flat and somewhat too dark, in a dirty/muddy way. I can see how someone that is really into smoky eyes would use this palette a lot, and I can also see how it can work on many ladies, but I think a good black shadow + a variety of jewel tones you may already have in your arsenal will produce similar, if not MUCH better results than this palette. The bottom line is it made me look old and dated, and rather delusional. The liner is good, I have never tried it before. I prefer the regular Primer Potion to Eden (which comes with this). Moving on!

on 2/27/2011 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Love this palette.....it will be a great crease palette to grab for or a dark lid fadded into a lighter color on the crease!

on 2/25/2011 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this palette! Out of all the palettes I own, I reach for this a majority of the time.The matte black is the best I've ever tried for blendability and of course urban decay's pigmentation is is awesome. I prefer the matte black in this palette over MAC's carbon and over urban decay's own perversion which is part of the permanent line.

If you're not into dark makeup, I'd skip this palette and just buy a good matte black; however, I love dark, smoky looks, so I use this palette regularly. Awesome stuff. Would defiantely buy again.

on 2/15/2011 6:51:00 PM

I bought this because I wanted a palette that i could do dark, smoky looks with. This palette is certainly good for this purpose. The colors are lovely in the pan but the are very back based and tend to come out more on the black side. Using them over fyrinnae's pixie epoxy helps the colors to comes through.Their texture is nice and for the most part I have been using the shadows over crease colors to help define the outer corners of my eyes. I like the 24/7 liners so, even though I have a few from other palettes, I will use the zero pencil that come with this. The mini primer potion in eden is nice, but I find that it does not prevent creasing as well as the original formula. While I enjoy this palette and will use it I don't think I like it enough to repurchase it.

on 1/25/2011 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OMG THIS PALETTE!!!

I settled for this because I wanted the NAKED palette, and of course Sephora was out of stock. I like Urban Decay's eyeshadows and I love doing smokey eyes so I thought I'd be getting the best of both worlds, and I was so right.

First of all, Urban Decay eyeshadow is the bomb, period. All of it. A little goes a LONG way. You just dab the brush ever so slightly into the shadow and you've picked up enough pigment to take care of an eye. UD is coming dangerously close to stealing my MAC loyalty.

This palette is awesome because it has every possible take on "black" that you can imagine. I *think* the colors you see online aren't exactly representative of how it shows up on your eye. Most of them are quite blackish (sorry, I don't know how else to describe them), with purple or blue or gold tones to them.

I also don't think the palette is as shimmery as one might be led to believe. While I wouldn't describe the colors as "matte" (except there is one matte black in there), this also isn't that super sparkly shimmery stuff that it looks like from the web pics.

Basically, if you ever use any sort of dark colors in your makeup routing, you won't be disappointed with this palette.

Also, I was surprisingly impressed with the eyeliner it came with. It glides right on and has awesome staying power.

If I ever ran out of the colors in this, I would totally buy it again, but UD makes such a powerful product that even if I did a smokey eye every day for two years straight, I probably wouldn't run out!