MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

3.8

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 4.7% Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Tribehenin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Laureth-7, Hexyl Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Dimethicone Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin [ /- Mica, Iron Oxides (C) 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (C) 77891, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) [September 17, 2010]

on 2/15/2017 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I find this foundation in my opinion to be a bit overrated. As much as it looks quite nice when first applied, it transfers really easy and separates after a couple of hours of wear. Usually when I get home after my day the foundation looks extremely cakey and worn out. I am in shade NC20 and find this shade to match me the best out of most of my foundations. However in saying this I find pro-longwear to not look very nice in photos. When I go to take selfies in this foundation it looks like I am wearing a mask even though I always blend my foundation down my neck. The good side to this foundation is it does feel somewhat breathable and looks flattering after first applying. I once went to put a jumper on and it clearly rubbed onto my jumper because when I went to a mirror there was a massive mark across my face. I don't love this foundation, but I don't hate it either. I rarely use it anymore.

on 1/10/2017 9:31:00 PM

I don't use this often because I have dry skin, and because the color I have is way too light. That said, for the intended purpose, it works great. It looks alright in photographs- wouldn't use if I were a bride/in the bridal party, at graduation, other important events that involve a lot of pictures. Unfortunately it is events like these that require long wearing foundation.
I put it to the ultimate test when I wore it at 5 pm for a wedding, and came home the next morning at 7 am and it was still very much intact and so was everything I put on it (blush, bronzer, etc)
I can see this being a great foundation for people that have long work days and wear makeup. If you have very dry skin, it still works, but with some extra care in terms of moisturizer or in more humid weather.
This seems to also run a little less yellow and slightly lighter than the studio fix fluid.

on 12/20/2016 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is truly great. I love it. I use it daily since I have a extremely hectic schedule. I put it on at 5.30am and it stays pretty solid until 6pm-ish.
the price is about 32$. Which can be pretty pricey for some, But for the people who are really into makeup ( like myself) it is worth the price.
One thing I have noticed is that it it occasionally highlights the baby-fine hair around my mouth and cheeks. A way that I have noticed to really solve the problem is apply foundation with a flat head foundation brush then use the beauty blender to " beat your face". The more you use the sponge the more it really falls into your skin, covering blemishes without highlighting the hair or looking cakey.
The only downside to this foundation is if you move quite a bit and become a little sweaty even though wearing primer some spots come through. for myself its around the mouth and nose.
I have extremely sensitive skin so no matter the weather if i don't moisturize minimum 2x a day my skin will begin to peel around the mouth. I use witchazel to get rid of the oil without drying my skin before moisturizing then using primer then my M.A.C foundation.

on 12/17/2016 3:54:00 PM

my skin is combinate ,oil, I use this foundation in evening. Its very good when you need to stay long night,evening or go to dance. But in the day time i prefer other foundation ,because this is to hard for day:)

on 12/10/2016 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Really great staying power and super matte finish. Have to be careful how you put on as it really sets with no need to finish with powder even. In saying that it takes quite a few makeup wipes to completely remove. In regards to photos, my skin looks immaculate in natural light photos but does have extremely white/discoloured flashback particularly as when tried with the iPhone flash. Best for daily wear or when you know there will be no flash photography.

on 12/9/2016 7:28:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I've used the MAC SFF for YEARS now and I am a huge fan but always struggled with the colours leaning too yellow/orange. In addition, lately I was starting to notice some dreadful dry patches whenever I used the foundation so I thought it was time to test something else. I love MAC (I find it high end without breaking the bank) so thought I'd have a browse of their base products. A friend recommended Pro Longwear and suggested it was incredibly similar to the SFF so I thought I'd give it a go... A great move, and I agree, it is indeed very similar to it's SFF counterpart. I'll cut to the chase and break this down into pro's and con's:

PROS
GREAT colours that lean a lot more neutral which is ideal for me. The shades in PLW run darker (and more pink) than SFF so watch your shading. I use NC15 in PLW (NW15 in SFF) and it's a fabulous match.
Lovely finish on initial application - a solid medium coverage with a natural matte finish. Does need powder.
Reasonable oil control - not any better or worse than SFF.
Photographs well but not as well as SFF (note - apparently they have reformulated the foundation and withdrawn the SPF. Might make it better still?)
The minute I started testing this, the dry patches I experienced with the continual use of SFF disappeared completely
GREAT packaging with pump
Doesn't sink into fine lines on forehead (SFF can do)

CONS
Highlights pores/light hair follicles around mouth/laugh lines - SFF smooths over them, PLW doesn't.
Has a tendency to wear away at the nose/upper lip (occasionally on the chin)
Not a buildable formula - I looked incredibly greasy (as the day progressed) when I tried to build the coverage on this.
Transfers more than the SFF when I blotted with a tissue.
Not blendable - work fast!!
Although oil control is ok, it could be better - much like the SFF! In a similar vein, I wouldn't say this lasts any longer than SFF either; despite the name!

All in all, it is VERY similar to SFF and I'm still somewhat undecided as to which one I think is better. That said, it is important to note that this was much better on my dry patches and the more neutral colour match is a dream, however the pore highlighting, general wearing away around the upper lip/nose and price make me prefer my SFF. I'll keep using it because I do like it, I'm just not sure which one takes the top spot at present! Time will tell.

UPDATE
I think, all things considered, I prefer the Studio Fix Fluid. As with everything, both have pro's and con's, SFF is full, blendable and buildable where as PLW is medium, non-drying with an excellent colour match. I notice the PLW wearing away more (despite it's name) but this could just be because it provides less coverage overall. I wore both foundations over the festive period and looked much better in photographs when wearing the SFF. I probably won't repurchase PLW again as it is almost a fiver more expensive than the SFF and I don't think it offers any more than the SFF does in order to justify the price increase. It is a good foundation though, especially if the SFF is 'too much' for you and is definitely worth getting a sample of.

on 11/21/2016 7:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

MAC is always a much over hyped product. There is no such extraordinary matter in MAC that other dont have. There are loads of better foundations within the same proce range in the market. MAC's only good side is -- it has a huge variety of shades & everyone on earth will find the colour match in MAC... CLAP! CLAP! As for this Prolong wear foundation, this is definitely a good profuct but Lancome teint Idole 24 hrs stays much longer than prolong wear -- on my skin ofcourse. It all depends on the skin types. MAC studio fix foundation is horrible for my skin but it stays perfectly on my BFF's skin. But if u go through the literal meaning of prolong wear -- thats estee lauder double wear... Nothing on earth can beat this longwear foundation. Love love love it.

on 11/20/2016 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i LOVE this foundation. as an oily girl with no time to touch up in a day, it is the best i have found to not only keep me fresh looking but withstand my annoying oily skin. i love that it's buildable, and they don't play with the '15 hour wear time'! i personally do throw a light powder over top as i am tactile sensitive and the finished texture can feel a little sticky to the touch. light powder dulls that down without disrupting the product integrity. PLW for life.

on 11/17/2016 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This has become my staple and go-to foundation. I am usually out on full days and I have very very oily skin and this foundation does not slip off my face half way through the day and NC35 matches my skin tone perfectly. It is a medium coverage but can be easily build up to a full. The foundation does dry quickly so you will have to be really fast with the application. It does oxidise a little in the bottle after a few months and pigmentation gets a little uneven when it is at its dying last few pumps. It is otherwise a very good foundation for my oily skin, stays put throughout the day, I only need to blot a few times, does not oxidise on the skin and I come home at the end of the day with the same flawlessness as I did when I first did my make up in the morning.

I am NC20 in this foundation shade, and I've been using it for 1 and a half years. I am nearing the bottom of my bottle and I will not be finishing it.

Pro:
- good coverage (medium-medium/full)
- long lasting, I don't have to touch up the entire day
- did not aggravate my acne breakouts and worked well to cover them
- clung to dry patches
- 1 and a half pumps covered my face to a medium coverage

Cons:
- the product has oxidized in the container - the shade is significantly darker than when I first bought it
- it could look quite thick, and doesn't give a natural skin finish

Based on what's left in my bottle, I would not repurchase.