The Body Shop Ginger Shampoo Normal/Dry hair and Loose Dandruff

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone Propyl PG Betaine, Honey, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Salicylate, Methylparaben, Glycerin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Birch Bark, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Citral, Citronellol, Oakmoss, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol.

I love this product to control my dandruff, however recently they changed the smell of the shampoo and it smells absolutely awful.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have used this shampoo on and off for years. It is honestly great at reducing dandruff and I adore the smell but everytime I use it, I lose A LOT more hair than usual. Literally half a fists worth will come out as I'm washing it out.
Luckily I have lots of thick hair so used this regularly (twice a week) for a few months thinking the benefit of not having dandruff (which has plagued my scalp ever since I can remember) far outweighed the loss of hair but I had to stop when my hairline started thinning and receding.
I have done a bit of research and apparently SLSs (which is the second highest ingredient after water) can cause this with repeated and prolonged use so I switched to a shampoo without any (shea moisture) and I dont lose half as much hair as before and my hairline is beginning to look normal again.
Obviously this is just my experience but if you have thin or thinning hair I would seriously reconsider using this. There are plenty of anti dandruff shampoos on the market without SLSs, Petal Fresh for example.

To Read all 96 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started having dry flakes as a result of a reaction to a drying and damaging shampoo they gave in the hotel i was staying at. The result of this product is beautiful on what it promises to do. Within 2 days of use, my dry flakes were reduced. Within a week of use, I barely had any dry flakes left. The consistency of the product was also satisfying. It is clear and slightly watery that made it easy to apply and came to a good lather. Washing it off is not a problem either.

The pitfall of this product is in its scent. On its own, the scent smells good, reminding me of ginger ale. However, the scent of the product is too strong, it is almost suffocating every time i use it. If you are able to get by the strong scent, this product is great, if you cannot (like me) unfortunately then this product becomes a pity. Would not repurchase on my part.

Also, the packaging is not the best as the cap is easily broken.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Smells great, washes my hair without causing dryness but also removes buildup fairly easily, doesn't seem to strip too much colour out. Leaves my hair soft and shiny. Lathers well. I heard Body Shop is discontinuing their haircare line in stores. I hope this is not true because this is a great shampoo. Would repurchase.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This took care of my daughters dandruff within two washes. Her hair was shiny and not frizzy at all. Flakes were all gone! Definitely would buy this again. The price wasn't bad for the amount you get. Plus I ordered it online and it arrived fairly quickly.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The ONLY product that lets me go days without itching and flakes. No more dandruff. I feel so sad for the years I spent trying different products. Also, it's important to fix your dandruff...it's not just uncomfortable and unslightly but it's a fungus growing on your head...gross!

It does dry out my hair, so I oil the ends/lengths before shampooing. You can probably condition-wash-condition method (look it up) also, as long as you get at the roots with this product. So worth the 10$, they better never discontinue it.

I've been using this for about two years now and I now can't imagine using another shampoo. I used to have an oily scalp and really dry wavy hair. It was so difficult to find a good shampoo that doesn't make my scalp oily and my hair super dry. Most products I tried always left my hair sticky and oily at the top no matter how much i tried washing it off (ew). I'm so glad I purchased this shampoo because my scalp hasn't been oily and itchy and it doesn't dry out my hair at all!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my most favourite shampoo for dandruff/itchy scalp. I prefer to use hair products that are not chock full of chemicals and The Body Shop provides a slightly more natural and cruelty-free solution.

This works wonders for my scalp! Although I don't use this daily, it helps me get rid of dandruff and flakes. It's worked better than any other natural dandruff shampoo that I've tried. While it did take a few washes for me to see the effects, I understand why it's so popular! It was completely sold out at my Body Shop and I had to be wait listed for the next shipment. Well worth the price if you go to the Body Shop during a BOGO sale or even buy 2 get 2 free. I love it so much that I have a few bottles stockpiled!

The smell is nice but not too overpowering. My only complaint is that you need to be careful with how much you use. If I use too much product, my hair becomes very greasy the next day and I need to really make sure I wash all of it out. It also is a little drying so use it in conjunction with other shampoos or conditioners and don't use it daily.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

It's absolutely awesome for my oily hair. I started having dandruff and now it's well controlled. Besides, my wavy hair feels cleaned and not weighted down.

I only use this shampoo once a week (I use RenPure "conditioner" every 2 days) and my scalp feels better and there's definitely less oil and product build up that gets me through the week. It does completely dry my hair out, though, and it didn't give me the tingly scalp feeling I was hoping for. I typically use this shampoo and follow up with the body shop's hair butter. I think I will probably splurge on PM's tea tree shampoo once I run out of this one.