The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone Propyl PG Betaine, Honey, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Salicylate, Methylparaben, Glycerin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Birch Bark, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Citral, Citronellol, Oakmoss, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

After reading lots of positive reviews for the Ginger shampoos' results on dandruff, I got myself the small size bottle of this from a TBS store, despite not being overly keen on the SLS in this. I gave it about 5 attempts, washing my hair, rinsing and repeating, with no conditioner after so as not to interfere with the effect. Did this every 2nd night but by the 5th time my scalp was not just flakey but actually had sore patches at the back of my head. Something in here clearly does not agree with me which is sad as almost all the reviews online for this are very good overall. Stopped using and within a few days my scalp returned back to its normal state. The search continues...

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this ginger haircare range (shampoo + conditioner). I purchased it initially because it was marketed as an anti-dandruff range here in Southeast Asia. After a few washes, I noticed that all my flakes were gone, and my hair no longer dropped as much. I then realised that it's marketed as an anti-dandruff AND anti-hair loss product in the UK! Not sure why there's a discrepancy in product marketing across countries, but either ways, they definitely live up to their claims.

I've used this range for a good month now, and my hair feels much thicker, with no flaking at all. I have bleached hair, and truthfully, it's a pain altogether. This range is definitely NOT a miracle worker for treating bleached/damaged hair, but it doesn't cause further damage either. After washing my hair, I usually follow up with The Body Shop's Grapeseed hair serum or OGX's Extra Penetrating Argan Oil. Both are life savers (though you have to use them consistently) for bleached hair.

P.S. I love the smell of ginger in general, so that's a big bonus for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My acquaintance had this shampoo when I slept over and I used it twice. Both times in total different time spans, I lost so much hair when I showered which is rare for my hair, so I do not recommend at all.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I don't even care if it works (which it does - it's fabulous). I just love the smell. Why can't they bring out a matching conditioner? (Preferably silicone free - no hints, body shop!)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Somehow I really enjoy the TBS hair care range, this was no exception, I think it's a great clarifying shampoo, I do use it once a week and it keeps my dandruff at bay, it can be drying so sometimes I just end up mixing it with some aloe Vera gel and it works just fine, the smell is kinda hard to described, it lingers and I like it, it's kinda like a ginger cocktail smell with like a soapy note, ya I know that's an odd description, it says it's meant for dry/flaky scalp but I have an oily scalp and I don't mind it. All in all this is staying in my shower till I find something better, also a little goes a long way.

Absolutely love this one! I have very sensitive scalp and my mom has flakes. Both of us love this one. It does not make my hair super dry. Enjoy this!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

When I first started using this shampoo, I loved it. It got rid of my dandruff almost instantly, and there was no more itching or flakes. It was almost too good to be true. I noticed after a while that my hair was lacking volume. Soon enough, I realized it was thinning out and that I was losing a lot of hair. I decided to stop after I noticed this. It is quite unfortunate. If you are going to use this shampoo, I would advise you to PROCEED with caution. I only spotted one other review noting this problem, as many of the reviews are good, but I lost a lot of hair :/

I've tried this for about two weeks then decided to make a review. Honestly, I like this product thou it smells like ginger..hahaha.. my hair felt smooth, less dry and tangle free after using the shampoo and conditioner. This also helps to lessen my dandruff. The only con is it can be quite pricey.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Omg!!! I've been having dandruff ever since I changed my shampoo. And this was the only cure!!!! I usually use it at the scalp but not the ends as it can be drying so I'd double wash my scalp (one with regular shampoo and one with this). Now that my dandruff is cured I use this every alternate washes to give the scalp a good cleanse! Really great and gets rid of all the itchiness and grease!

I have really greasy hair and an itchy, flaky scalp, and this is the only product that has consistently helped. Anti-dandruff shampoos only irritate my scalp further, and shampoos with coal tar/tea tree oil only help temporarily, if at all, and don't do anything to help the oiliness of my hair.

I've been using this for 3 weeks and my hair texture has improved (it's become fluffier and less limp/flat). My hair isn't 100% flake-free, but it looks and feels better than it has in the last couple of years. Sometimes the itching/flaking comes back but I've found that using conditioner or a different shampoo once in a while keeps it at bay.

The scent is fine. Ginger-y but in an artificially sweet way, and doesn't appear to linger on my hair.