The Body Shop Ginger Shampoo Normal/Dry hair and Loose Dandruff

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone Propyl PG Betaine, Honey, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Salicylate, Methylparaben, Glycerin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Birch Bark, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Citral, Citronellol, Oakmoss, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol.

I have really greasy hair and an itchy, flaky scalp, and this is the only product that has consistently helped. Anti-dandruff shampoos only irritate my scalp further, and shampoos with coal tar/tea tree oil only help temporarily, if at all, and don't do anything to help the oiliness of my hair.

I've been using this for 3 weeks and my hair texture has improved (it's become fluffier and less limp/flat). My hair isn't 100% flake-free, but it looks and feels better than it has in the last couple of years. Sometimes the itching/flaking comes back but I've found that using conditioner or a different shampoo once in a while keeps it at bay.

The scent is fine. Ginger-y but in an artificially sweet way, and doesn't appear to linger on my hair.

I bought this at least a year ago and i used it twice...didn't do anything so i put it away...until liked a month ago..i used it again and been using it till now.....i just gotta say this shampoo has helped my hair so much........i have always had nice hair but lately it has become do dry and unmanageable...it's almost liked a vicious cycle cause the more it acts out the more i use hair straightener to tame it and hurts it more at the end.......i also started using really moisturizing shampoo that's good at first but then back to same thing after 2 weeks or so.......i think what happened is that those "nourish" stuffs were just coating my hair with chemicals that in the long term making it dryer.
After faithfully using it for a month...my hair has finally went back to it's natural self liked years ago....i can fix my bangs with a quick blow dry and with minor straightening...it's now so shiny and soft......!!! I will always use this as long as they will make it...!!
Update July 17: This shampoo serves my scalp wonderfully but starts to dry out my hair. It was okay before i started coloring my hair again. I could barely run the fingers through my hair and i switched to AG color savoury shampoo and hair is much healthier/shinnier but my scalp can get itchy...I duno how to find something that will work for everything. In the meantime i guess i will just alternate.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I don't review often and have only used this twice so far but it has changed my life so I wanted to make sure to share. My flakes were embarrassing and I had almost given up on finding a solution besides stop wearing dark colors. I tried head and shoulders, selsun blue, aveda, two different types of Jason calming shampoos, and prob more I'm forgetting but nothing worked until this. I have some psoriasis but I'm unsure if that was causing my flakes. Regardless, definitely try this! Your black clothes will thank you!!!

I love this product to control my dandruff, however recently they changed the smell of the shampoo and it smells absolutely awful.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started having dry flakes as a result of a reaction to a drying and damaging shampoo they gave in the hotel i was staying at. The result of this product is beautiful on what it promises to do. Within 2 days of use, my dry flakes were reduced. Within a week of use, I barely had any dry flakes left. The consistency of the product was also satisfying. It is clear and slightly watery that made it easy to apply and came to a good lather. Washing it off is not a problem either.

The pitfall of this product is in its scent. On its own, the scent smells good, reminding me of ginger ale. However, the scent of the product is too strong, it is almost suffocating every time i use it. If you are able to get by the strong scent, this product is great, if you cannot (like me) unfortunately then this product becomes a pity. Would not repurchase on my part.

Also, the packaging is not the best as the cap is easily broken.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have used this shampoo on and off for years. It is honestly great at reducing dandruff and I adore the smell but everytime I use it, I lose A LOT more hair than usual. Literally half a fists worth will come out as I'm washing it out.
Luckily I have lots of thick hair so used this regularly (twice a week) for a few months thinking the benefit of not having dandruff (which has plagued my scalp ever since I can remember) far outweighed the loss of hair but I had to stop when my hairline started thinning and receding.
I have done a bit of research and apparently SLSs (which is the second highest ingredient after water) can cause this with repeated and prolonged use so I switched to a shampoo without any (shea moisture) and I dont lose half as much hair as before and my hairline is beginning to look normal again.
Obviously this is just my experience but if you have thin or thinning hair I would seriously reconsider using this. There are plenty of anti dandruff shampoos on the market without SLSs, Petal Fresh for example.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This took care of my daughters dandruff within two washes. Her hair was shiny and not frizzy at all. Flakes were all gone! Definitely would buy this again. The price wasn't bad for the amount you get. Plus I ordered it online and it arrived fairly quickly.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Smells great, washes my hair without causing dryness but also removes buildup fairly easily, doesn't seem to strip too much colour out. Leaves my hair soft and shiny. Lathers well. I heard Body Shop is discontinuing their haircare line in stores. I hope this is not true because this is a great shampoo. Would repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The ONLY product that lets me go days without itching and flakes. No more dandruff. I feel so sad for the years I spent trying different products. Also, it's important to fix your dandruff...it's not just uncomfortable and unslightly but it's a fungus growing on your head...gross!

It does dry out my hair, so I oil the ends/lengths before shampooing. You can probably condition-wash-condition method (look it up) also, as long as you get at the roots with this product. So worth the 10$, they better never discontinue it.

I've been using this for about two years now and I now can't imagine using another shampoo. I used to have an oily scalp and really dry wavy hair. It was so difficult to find a good shampoo that doesn't make my scalp oily and my hair super dry. Most products I tried always left my hair sticky and oily at the top no matter how much i tried washing it off (ew). I'm so glad I purchased this shampoo because my scalp hasn't been oily and itchy and it doesn't dry out my hair at all!