Chanel Rouge Coco

Chanel Rouge Coco

3.8

on 5/27/2016 5:55:00 AM

I just bought Sari Dore online, and I am so disappointed. It must be the new formulation of the Rouge Coco range, because I've had Chanel lipsticks before and really liked them. But this version is very poor. Drying, didn't last long, and the colour did not stay true. It is supposed to be a light, warm coral, but after half an hour it had turned a weird mauvey pink on me. For the price I had expected the rich, creamy, moisturizing formuIa that they used to have. But this lipstick was like a cheap drugstore imitation and it's hard to believe the drop in quality from before. I don't know why companies fiddle about with their formulas when a product has been working well, and enjoying good sales, as Chanel has done. I will not be buying another in this range. Estee Lauder are much, much better!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This review is of the reformulated version of Rouge Coco.
I bought Dimitri #442. Unfortunately, on me, I find this:
- drying, despite reviews saying that the reformulated lipstick is more hydrating.
- When I have a layer lip balm beneath it, the colour 'moves' on my lips - it looks glossy 'on top' of my lips. I prefer my lipstick to look semi-matte, balmy like.
- Even without eating/drinking, the colour wears off, or rather 'moves off' unevenly.
Comparing with the others, I much prefer YSL Lip Couture and Lancome Rouge Absolue, Quite a big disappointment with Chanel Rouge Coco.

To Read all 16 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I did not try the older version of this lipstick. This review is of the reformulated version that just came out as of last month. I went to the Chanel counter and expressed that I would like to try a red, which is new for me because I love hot pinks and fuchsia shades. I ended up going home with one called Dimitri (#442) and I could not be happier. The color is bright and exactly what I was looking for...definitely a red, but with a slight orange undertone. The texture is like butter...it's silky and shiny, makes my lips feel like heaven and still manages to stay on all day. I seriously want to go back and buy about three more colors. I would say it's worth the price, considering how amazing my lips look and feel.

on 8/26/2014 11:53:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I absolutely LOVE the Rouge Coco range. Like another reviewer previously stated, I really don't know why there isn't more reviews and love for this Lippie! I must admit I am a Chanel junkie, but that being said, if the product is awful I won't use it even if it is Chanel! I have a big problem with the taste of lipsticks, there are so many on the market that make me almost gag they taste so bad. I bought a Covergirl one in an impulse buy at the chemist and loved the colour but wow the taste reminded me of a Grandma's lipstick. Maybe it's just me! But if you know what I mean by that old fashioned over powering floral scented taste, then you'll know that's either a taste you love or hate! It seems lots of brands have a horrible taste these days. I used to wear Rimmel as a teenager and even that tastes awful now. So I was desperate to find a lippy with good pigment and staying power and one that wouldn't make me sick wearing it! Once again Chanel was my saviour! I have been wearing the Rouge Coco Hydrating Creme Lip Colour for a couple of years. I was wearing shade 13 Gardenia, but after not being able to find that colour moved to Colour 10 Camelia. I love it!! It goes on smoothly and feels soft and creamy on my lips, there's no stickiness just smooth even colour. It has really god staying power, even after eating It still looks good. Possibly because its close to my natural lip colour it looks like it stays quite well. I must venture out of my comfort zone and try something brighter and see how that holds up! I feel my lips are hydrated and in much better condition since using it, so it does what it says on the box! And with such a large range of colours to choose from, there is a colour for everyone! The packaging is exquisite, as are all Chanel Products! I do remember a few years ago they used to have velvet type lipstick pouches with all their lipsticks, but now there is just the box. It would be nice if they could bring this back so it keeps your lippy package looking shiny and clean! But apart from that its fantastic and no cloying awful taste, which is the deal clincher for me!!!

on 9/29/2013 6:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Words cannot explain my love for rouge coco's, my favourite lipstick line. I find that for me, they are the best all rounder lipstick in terms of pigmentation, lasting power, comfort, hydration and price. Find a lipstick which has better lasting power, and it tends to be more drying etc. I also find many shades in the range appealing, which is rare for me. At first they seem boring, but take a closer look and keep an eye out for new releases! Yes, it is still expensive and even though you can find better lipsticks at a higher price, I am not willing to pay any more than I do for rouge coco. Shades can vary in quality and finish, which is why you should always test a lipstick first before purchase! Most are fairly pigmented, with variation among shades and on average tend to last about four hours on me, which changes depending on how much I drink and eat. That may not seem like much? But is superior compared to other lipsticks in my collection. I love their creamy, but not too creamy and balmy texture, they apply smoothly and hydrate my lips better than most lippies, excluding those balm hybrids, which unfortunately tend to lack pigment. At the very least, they retain existing moisture and do not dry the lips out. I find them comfortable to wear and I love the scent! Smells like roses at first, and then fades into raspberries. It dissipates fairly quickly though. I also love the classy packaging. My favourites are: vendome - warm red, ce soir - muted plum, icone - golden beige and mystique - pink apricot. I also intend to buy more! It saddens me that these do not get more love, but I know everyone is different :).

on 4/8/2012 6:20:00 PM

I have #76 sari dore. My first Chanel lipstick! The colour is really really really gorgeous!. The staying power is ok, but it tends to set on the lines on my lips after a while.. It is not that moisturising, it is inferior to most YSL lip products. Overall I still prefer my HG YSL lipsticks.

on 12/18/2011 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

EDIT 11/08/15 - NEW FORMULATION
While the old formulation was a dud for me, the new formulation is my jam! The texture is lighter and slicker than your traditional lipstick (Rouge Allure), but more substantial than a gloss (Rouge Coco Shine). If you like Rouge Allures but found them too drying, or liked RCS's but found them too fleeting and lacking in color, you'll LOVE the new Rouge Cocos. Longevity isn't as tenacious as a lipstick, so you will have to reapply after eating a decent meal. Also since the color is sheerer they're more forgiving on the lips, and you can control how strong/deep you want the color to be.

OLD REVIEW - OLD FORMULATION
Rouge Cocos are very hit-or-miss for me, the vast majority on the miss side. For being a supposedly moisturizing formula they feel quite drying on my lips, far more than the Rouge Allures (my HG lippy) are. They also can be quite inconsistent with the formula--some are VERY drying, some feel horribly heavy, and some are creamy enough to be tolerable. I've tried many, and own one--#80 Etole. While I adore it, I've found the Rouge Cocos also lack the glow that the Rouge Allures have. I wonder what the point of these were when Chanel already had a hit with their Rouge Allures. I'll only purchase a Rouge Coco if I can't find a Rouge Allure equivalent and if it doesn't leave my lips desperate for moisture.

I have two (beige felin 01 and camelia 10). Love the colors but still don't think I will repurchase. Here are my reasons: it does apply smoothly and does not dry out my lips (with Chanel lip balb underneath, that is) but after some time (about 30 minutes) the lipstick itself dries on my lips leaving something like a crust (but my lips still feel hydrated - I cannot comprehend that). So my lips feel nice but they LOOK dry. To remedy that I need to lick the lipstick on my lips and rub my lips together to restore the original look on my lips. I don't think it's worth purchasing a lipstick if I need to buy a matching lip balm as well when I know a lipstick that works great without all those weird things that I described above (for me that lipstick is Estee Lauder's Signature lipstick)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hey hey !!
Who would say no to Chanel ??
Great colors , great packaging and lasts ..
The creamy texture didn't dry my lips and the color is so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I very sweet friend gave me a Rouge Coco to try because I have wanted to try it for so long! I'm glad I tried it, but I cannot understand the hype about this lipstick, or why someone would pay so much for it. How is it different from any drugstore lipstick? it has a perfumey smell, like L'oreal lipsticks do, and to be honest the texture is very similar to L'oreal color riche lipsticks (which I don't like much). The texture is a bit dry. It wears the same amount of time as any lipstick (like Revlon Colorburst or MAC etc). Colors aren't anything out of this world either. I just don't get it. What is special about it? That said, I wear it because it is a nice color and it makes me think of my kind friend who gave this to me :).