Philosophy Hope Oil-Free SPF

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Philosophy Hope Oil-Free SPF
Hope Oil-Free SPF

3.0

Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (3.75%), Oxybenzone (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (4.53%). Inactives: Water (Aqua), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dibutyl Adipate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Glycerin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Behenyl Alcohol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Arachidyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Dimethicone, Behenoxy Dimethicone, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Beta-Glucan, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Arachidyl Glucoside, Maltodextrin, Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry) Leaf Extract, Arginine, Benzyl Alcohol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Xanthan Gum, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disodium Edta, Citric Acid.

on 11/18/2014 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was horrible. I've been wanting a high sf daily face moisturizer that is light and doesn't exacerbate my very oily skin with acne here and there. I was excited to try a sample of this from Sephora. SPF 40 and oil free with no acne causing ingredients? Sounded like everything I was looking for. I tried it twice. The first time I thought maybe I had skimped on the amount I had used so I tried it again today and used more to "properly" moisturize. I don't wear much makeup; I am not a full face kinda girl. I wear a little concealer or foundation only where I need it and apply with a very little hand. Each time I tried putting anything over this Hope in a Jar moisturizer, my face looked horrible. The concealer/foundation did not blend and was patchy and it seemed to make my face drier! I know what you oily skinned gals are thinking, " I would love to have dry skin, anything but this oil slick on my face!" That's how MY face is. I pray for dry skin because at least it wouldn't look like I put butter on my face. But somehow this brings out dryness that isn't there otherwise. It's just horrible. For oily skin, look into Cotz face sunscreen. I keep thinking it's overkill for everyday use and stupidly look into something else but it makes my skin look good and works as both a primer that eliminates oiliness (ALL DAY) and a sunscreen. If your a little dry, just put a little moisturizer in places where you need it beforehand.

I gave it 2 lippies ONLY because it was SPF 40 and I'm tired of seeing a daily moisturizer with an SPF 15 that doesn't do anything.

on 4/5/2011 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I really wanted to love this product despite the high price, since I was looking for a non-comedogenic, high spf daily moisturizer for my combo/acne-prone skin. I fanatically research any new skin product/makeup for comedogenic ingredients and this one looked pretty good. But unfortunately this product was a bust in almost every way. Far from moisturizing, I think it dried out my skin! Plus it looked terrible underneath my liquid foundation, making it look streaky and like it was separating. Then the last straw I started getting this subtle red rash? on my cheeks and forehead, which are normally pretty clear (I've gotten similar reactions on my body to some sunscreens). Just to make sure this was really the culprit since I started a few new products around the same time, I used it only on my forehead for two days and a different moisturizer (with no spf) on my cheeks and my forehead still had the roughness and my cheeks started to get better. Oh well back to the store, and the search continues! I gave it two lippies because if your skin is oily (and not combo) and you are not sensitive to certain ss ingredients, this would probably work for you and it has a decent spf and didnt break me out (w/cystic acne).

on 2/3/2011 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have liked every single Philosophy product that I’ve tried, so I was really interested in this moisturizer. For years I have been faithful to Clinique’s Superdefense SPF 25 Moisturizer for Combo/Oily Skin and then apply Philosophy’s The Present as my daily primer (separate reviews). Although these two products have worked very well together, I was hoping that Hope Oil-Free SPF 30 would take the place of both of these, being a moisturizer with anti-aging benefits and SPF, while also being a soothing, smoothing, matte-finish primer. Although it’s very thick coming out of the tube, a pea-size amount warms and thins in my hands, so it spreads very evenly over my face and neck. Don’t use too much, otherwise it will pill up. I am so pleased that this product meets my expectations. It provides SPF 30 protection; leaves my skin matte, smooth and ready for makeup (I let it sit for two minutes before starting to apply makeup); and it controls oil for about eight hours. I don’t notice any strange smell and it did not irritate my skin at all. This doesn’t quite achieve the flawless smoothness as The Present, but for everyday use, this is perfect. This is a little pricey, but it works so well with my skin that I will definitely buy again. I also love that it comes in a travel-friendly, hygienic tube.