Philosophy Hope Oil-Free SPF

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Philosophy Hope Oil-Free SPF
Hope Oil-Free SPF

3.5

Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (3.75%), Oxybenzone (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (4.53%). Inactives: Water (Aqua), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dibutyl Adipate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Glycerin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Behenyl Alcohol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Arachidyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Dimethicone, Behenoxy Dimethicone, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Beta-Glucan, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Arachidyl Glucoside, Maltodextrin, Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry) Leaf Extract, Arginine, Benzyl Alcohol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Xanthan Gum, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disodium Edta, Citric Acid.

on 5/18/2011 2:56:00 PM

Two words - BURNING EYES. Despite deliberate intention to carefully apply this to the undereye area WITHOUT getting it in my eyes, I invariably have experienced painful teary burning every time I've used the deluxe sample I got from Sephora. This alone is more than enough for me not to purchase. The area I am most vigilant about sunscreen is under the eyes. I typically use the spf 40 sunblock from clarins but like to try out lesser-spf sunscreens for those days when I just need sun protection for a few minutes.
I applied this daily for a week over my regular moisturizer and really did not feel that it contributed any moisturizing effect. In fact, my skin has felt less moisturized overall the past few days.
The good things about this product are that it leaves skin looking less greasy than many other brands I've tried, there is no offensive odor, and it comes in an easy-to-apply squeeze tube.
If you're looking for lightweight sunscreen conveniently packaged with moisturizer and have eyes that aren't very sensitive, this might work.

on 8/31/2010 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Description from Sephora.com
Hope Oil-Free SPF
What it is: An ultra-light daily moisturizer for normal to oily skin with SPF 30.

What it is formulated to do:
This gentle, fast-absorbing daytime lotion provides optimal hydration to revitalize skin and strengthen its natural moisture barrier, while preventing sun damage. It is infused with multiple antioxidants for superior protection against environmental attack and visible signs of aging. The oil-free formulation leaves an invisible matte finish that suits all complexions.

My review: I've been using this product for maybe 3 months now, and at first I wasn't too fond of it. I thought it was greasy and would be too much for my skin, but I just needed to figure out how much to use at one time. A little goes a long way with this, because it's got a thick-ish consistency. But it is still lightweight once absorbed into the skin (which it does quickly) and leaves a matte-ish finish (not totally matte, more satin). I have normal/combination sensitive skin. My t-zone gets shiny but it's not what I consider oily, and I only get menstrual breakouts. I have a medium-dark skin tone, and I use retinol products to maintain an even skin tone, so the spf 30 is great for me. My skin feels/looks nice and healthy with continued use, so I like to think it's meeting its claims. I appreciate the squeezy tube packaging, despite the tendency for product to collect around the opening (I just wipe it off as needed).

I haven't decided yet if I will repurchase, but I answered yes because it is a good product. It retails for $45 for 2oz, so that's a factor, but it does last a long time, as I am only half-way through the tube. Fragrance-free, but still has a "philosophy" smell. No issue with my nose. Overall: pretty good piece of my skin care regimen.