Yves Saint Laurent Opium

3.9

I have held off from reviewing this as I remember the original as my Mum liked it. It was a real heavy hitter and one bottle lasted years. So with trepidation, and in desperate need of finding a spicy perfume to gift, I bought a bottle. Firstly it's not half bad. Not the same, what is, but still redolent of the original. For those of you who have been devastated by the reform of cinnabar, fear not, Opium aint ruined. It is thinner, less complex and the edt no longer packs a knockout punch so it could be office friendly. I may have to get myself the edp just for nights out. The new one is still sexy, still balsamic and still well, Opium One thing though, the oranve note is no longer prominent and it moves much more quickly to the d/d. Would repurchase.

I've worn this scent off and on since I was 17, when my college boyfriend purchased it for me the year it came out. It's rich rich rich... redolent of the late 70's decadence when it first came out, when its creator, the legendary fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent launched it to accompany his wildly acclaimed Russian collections, to mass accolades and skyrocketing sales worldwide. Opium is a bold, provocative scent, a ROOM-FILLING scent, should one choose to apply it liberally. A little dab will produce a mini-explosion of scent, it's that potent. I am, of course, speaking of the original Opium, I can't speak for the remake that hit the shelves in recent years (why oh why would anyone bother remaking a legend?)... Be that as it may, this is one hell of a scent. We're talking Tigress here--Mata Hari, Gina Lollobrigida, Catherine Deneuve in a black silk trench coat (with nothing on underneath), opulent evening brocades, dripping jewels, opera gloves, statement makeup, boots, heels, leather and lace... a "Femme Fatale" woman who is not afraid of her own seduction. It's an evening scent, of course. I will only wear this full-on with 'statement' wardrobe, usually something ultra-sexy and fatale. Tip: I have a little mini bottle of this in my makeup bag, and when going out at night after a day at the office, a tiny drop rubbed on my wrist and then over my ears, nape and hairline will have people sniffing me appreciatively all night..

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Don't own but want to .. I've smelled more than enough times because my grandma wore this and it is a powerhouse and very warm sensual and lasting.. I like the new packaging and I will buy one day .. It is expensive.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

YSL Opium was one of my first true love fragrances back in the 80's. I love spicy, lush type perfumes. They evoke a sense of mystery and are exotic in their own way. I find this type of fragrance works well with my personal body chemistry, and the result is quite intoxicating which I have said is also the result I get when wearing CK Euphoria. Just ask my husband, haha. This fragrance can be a bit overwhelming in warm weather months, so I reserve for fall/winter. Spring and summer call for something lighter and fresher/crisper. The packaging for Opium reflects the fragrance well, and is beautiful.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the day when I was working the fragrance counter at Macy's and hawking it, Opium was flying off the shelves. Everyone was wearing it. People talk of Giorgio and how it created a sensory overload but Opium was right up there in its distinct aroma and how women over-sprayed it. Now, the prices for a vintage bottle are ridiculous. Is it worth it?

Looking at its notes, yes, Opium is everything its cracked up to be. It embodies all its notes. It's an outrageous perfume. This can be a grand old dame, wrapped in soft velour, adorned with Mikimoto pearls, carrying a Judith Leiber clutch or a bar-fly with a hiked-up faux-leather Guess skirt, Sam Edelman booties and a crop top. Anyone and everyone has worn it and altho it is a classic that stands alone, it is so well-known it is no longer special. It's lost it's uniqueness.

It had its place back then in the late '70's and '80's when the powerhouse perfumes were all the rage. Rock 'n' roll was loud, clothes were big and so were the hairstyles and attitudes. It just fit the time period. You'd wear it and strut because you could. Wearing it today outside takes a certain attitude, a certain way of dressing, it's a completely different way to be.

I'm not saying Opium can't be appreciated today, it just can't be appreciated in the same way because this isn't the same time period. Some perfumes stay beautiful and always will be, but they just don't make it into the mainstream of the future decades.
Opium is a perfume that needs to sampled by all vintage lovers because it belongs in the perfume Hall of Fame. It's rich in feeling, opulent in spices and incense, animalistic in nature and makes you want to let go. It will strangle the weak enslave the willing. If you are a fan of patchouli, spices, incense, myrhh, cloves and too many others to list, go for it. You won't be sorry. But be forewarned, you're signing up for the den of inequity to other perfumes. You may never be the same.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Top notes mandarin and bergamot notes, deepened by myrrh, jasmine and carnation. Base note amber. A classic. I prefer the EDT. Even the reformulated version (the one you buy in stores now) is not half bad...very good.

Yes, this used to be different, but not necessary STRONGER, they just took the high-quality
franckincense out, and the deep ethereal myrrhe that gave it that characteristic melancholic
and distant base-note that came fluffing up in little breezes even after you thought it had longlong disappeared, everything else was gone and still you had the softy appearing-disppearing of the marvelous incense-myrrhe that gave it a steady COOLNESS inspite being called an riental'. The only other fragrance with that sollemn cool incense-basenote was,mind you, INCENSE by Givenchy, legendary, and there was no insence at all in this later
just so many well-composed and regrouped elegant flowers that they made together a
symphony of pure insence and myrrhe.....now is that art or is tthat art?
Back to Opium, he's gone, one of the most original melancholic notes in parfumhistory, only compareable to the blues of L'HEURE BLUE, so amen.
The modern resuscitation, or zombie if yoy like, does stil look a lot like the classic, but is much more brighter and flowerish with no undernotes ( drydown a lot simpler and faster ) more linear and happier ( because we are happier aren't we ).
But I still like it and recognise it as a big part of my Opium, thats the reason i still bought it,
i miss it otherwise. But am i clever in doing so? No, we should strike and sent millions of emails to that multinational, because YSL is not happy ( he was a melancholic so there's reason for those blue original notes that first enhance your blue mood then affirm it and at last vanish the mood out in a O.Wildish sarcasm decadent rage) and so aren''t the Opium-affecionados.They should realise that we don't let ourselves be scammed and lied to and they should honour the true beloveres of the smell for almost 40 years!!! There's no new marketgroup to fill those enormous sellinggaps, it's money and we shouldn't give it,N.B.:it was the second worldwide-selling hit only after n.5 C.!!! ART. Skystone:try L'HEURE BLUE!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This smells like a bad Bijan Cologne that my uncle used to wear back in the day (lets hope that his taste have changed since then). When it comes to the fragrances that I wear, I prefer something light and this is definitely not it. I will not purchase.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

definitely buy again I want the bigger bottle everyone knows iv got this perfume on when I put it on lasts all day love it love it love it

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is not a sweet, rich contemporary oriental a la Serge Lutens. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes, sweet floralsylang ylang and jasmineand a touch of citrus. The sweet floral/aldehyde combination, also found in Chanel No. 5, is just enough to add a perfume-y touch. Next, myrrh, resins, and spices add warmth that balances the cold opening. I love how earthy patchouli is offset by soapy florals; Opium smells very 70s, but I think that one or two sprays after a shower could produce an elegant and freshly scrubbed effect. Four or five sprays could be a little bingo hall. Also, men really need to try Opium.

Retro, unisex, perfume-y, elegant