Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid

Filtered by skin tone : Medium Brown
Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid

3.3

Updated off bottle 10/2018: aqua/water, isododecane, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, glycerin, cyclohexasilohexane, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxethyl dimethicone, butylenes glycol, dimethicone crosspolymer, disteardimonium hectorite, PEG-10 dimethicone, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, sodium chloride, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, caprylyl glycol, disodium stearoyl glutamate, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, aluminum hydroxide, silica dimethyl silylate, methicone, sodium hylauronate, hexylene glycol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, ci77891, titanium dioxide, ci77491, ci77492, ci77499, iron oxides, ci 15985/yellow 6 lake.-------------------old ingredients:aqua/water, isododecane, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, glycerin, cyclohexasilohexane, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxethyl dimethicone, butylenes glycol, dimethicone crosspolymer, disteardimonium hectorite, PEG-10 dimethicone, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, sodium chloride, phenoxyethanol, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, caprylyl glycol,disodium stearoyl glutamate, PEG-9, aluminum hydroxide.

on 12/8/2014 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This has been my everyday foundation for over 2 years until I switched to Chanel. I absolutely loved this one, although a little too thick and bit oily. The best thing is the sun beige shade matches by skin tone perfectly which for me is very difficult to find. However you must wear compact powder for it to set properly or it will come off very easily when you touch your face.

I have only stopped using this because I didn't want to use compact powder any more, but if your skin is too oily this might bot be the best foundation.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So, the Maybelline 'Dream satin liquid' foundation designed to give a "100% poreless look" and "airbrush perfection". Naturally, before using any make-up product i scour the internet for previous reviews and recommendations. Unfortunately, 90% of the reviews on makeup alley claimed that this foundation was "oily" and looked "caked on" whilst "clinging to pores and dry skin" Needless to say I was pretty torn as to whether I wanted to even try this product on but felt I had to give it a go as I wanted to judge it based on my own personal experience and not that of others.

After having used it twice (the caramel shade number 60) I have to say I had some mixed emotions regarding this foundation. My first issue was that the shade was still too dark for my skin tone and so when applied I had to use a lighter shade powder to balance it out. Another limitation to this foundation is that its not ideal for combination/oily skin which unfortunately is what I have. Nor is it for dry skin as the 'cakey' texture is sticky and clings to all dry patches on your skin not hiding any blemishes or imperfection. Rather than giving the illusion of "poreless" skin, this foundation clogs up your pores slightly and ends up magnifying it. with a rounded foundation brush, sweep it lightly across your skin in mini circles both clockwise and anti clockwise a few times, this will definitely reduce the size of your pores instantly!

Right, enough with being a negative Nancy!

This foundation does have its merits and that's the smooth satiny feeling mmmm! So i used a primer I made myself it works wonders for my skin whilst keeping it oil free (it's made from aloe vera gel, milk of magnesia, witch hazel, a small amount of face moisturizer and some foundation that's your skin tone), before dotting a small amount of the foundation around my face and applying it with my fingers for a more natural and dewy look. That done, i used a little more and applied over any blemishes that I could see with a foundation brush blending it all in as i went along and finally blotted the excess when I was done. When using this foundation, i skipped my normal pressed powder as it was a very dark foundation and so instead i used my Vichy Dermablend translucent setting powder. This baby here is an absolute godsend! Not only did it allow my make up to stay pretty much the same throughout the whole day not once did I need to touch up, i only occasionally blotted my T-zone.

So, although I wouldnt buy this particular foundation for everyday use, it wasn't a terrible experience overall. It's mostly about finding the right balance and knowing your skin and how to deal with it. I'd rate this a 3.5/5.0

on 7/31/2013 8:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Pros: - cheap -good packaging -wide colour range -no shimmer. Cons: -can look cakey -hard to blend in -streaky - sticky -highlights spots -breaks me out -drying

on 6/16/2013 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I hate wearing too much makeup, but this gives me such a natural look! I have medium to dark skin so it's usually hard to find the correct shade that is good value and I found this matched my skin almost perfectly!