Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid

Filtered by hair type : Other
Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid

3.6

Updated off bottle 10/2018: aqua/water, isododecane, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, glycerin, cyclohexasilohexane, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxethyl dimethicone, butylenes glycol, dimethicone crosspolymer, disteardimonium hectorite, PEG-10 dimethicone, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, sodium chloride, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, caprylyl glycol, disodium stearoyl glutamate, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, aluminum hydroxide, silica dimethyl silylate, methicone, sodium hylauronate, hexylene glycol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, ci77891, titanium dioxide, ci77491, ci77492, ci77499, iron oxides, ci 15985/yellow 6 lake.-------------------old ingredients:aqua/water, isododecane, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, glycerin, cyclohexasilohexane, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxethyl dimethicone, butylenes glycol, dimethicone crosspolymer, disteardimonium hectorite, PEG-10 dimethicone, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, sodium chloride, phenoxyethanol, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, caprylyl glycol,disodium stearoyl glutamate, PEG-9, aluminum hydroxide.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am the lightest shade (1 - Natural Ivory) and it has lightly warmer undertones than expected. However, as a naturally pale person, I can get away with this because it gives me a natural glow and makes my skin look a bit more "healthy", but just be aware. I live in England, and I picked this up from Superdrug. It has a "New Formula" tag on it. I never tried the old formula, and so I don't know what's different about it.
This has a satin finish, which means for very oily skin, this might not be great. However the product is oil free, so it isn't going to break you out or clog your pores majorly. The finish is gives you a more flawless, natural glow and less of a shine as more sheer/oily products provide without being drying or cakey like some matte formulas.
The product blends effortlessly and sits nicely. The coverage is mostly medium for that more natural finish, but easily buildable, and there is a slight blurring effect, helping to conceal pores and textured skin.
HOWEVER, I have seen a lot of people annoyed or disappointed at this product, so I thought I would give my personal application process, because I think it works really well as such:
(Note, I have oily/combo skin, so this might not work the same for y'all.)

1. Apply a non drying, mattifying primer (pore concealing will help, but is not essential. I recommend Rimmel London's Stay Matte) and let it sit into the skin for about 10 mins. The reason I use a mattifying primer is because it's going to stop any natural oils from mixing with the formula of the foundation and therefore keep the look "satiny" and not greasy.

2. Apply a coat of the foundation with a sponge/beauty blender/knock-off BY TAPPING the product into the skin, not brushing, swirling or rubbing. This is going to help the product adhere to the skin and the primer as well as give you better coverage and avoid streaks.

3. Using the tips of your fingers, gently pat the product in all over the face by bouncing your fingers off your skin. You'll notice that if you just use a sponge, the skin still looks a little 'foundationy' rather than natural, and the natural oils from your fingers will help to visibly blur the product, helping to really conceal those pores and seem flawless.

4. Let the product dry in for about 5-10 mins. The formula doesn't feel wet, but can feel a little bit sticky, so let it dry down, and then set the face with a powder of your choice to get rid of any areas that may be a little bit tacky still. Preferably use a lightweight, translucent one, and this will lighten up the colour, helping to match your skin tone better, as well as avoid causing "cakeiness".

I think for the price and the look, this product is fantastic. Is is my current go to foundation for everyday wear, (though I have been tempted to try the Fit Me Matte and Poreless- any recommendations?) and I will 100% repurchase. It certainly isn't for everyone, but it is worth a try, definitely for the more combo skin people out there, as well as any oily folk that want a bit less of a flat texture to their foundation.

on 6/7/2014 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This is my current foundation as my skin started to react badly to loreal infallible. You need to build it if you need decent coverage, it does have a tendency to sit in any small lines you may have so use it sparingly round your eyes. The price is good for an everyday foundation, as I use makeup so much, I can't afford to use an expensive one everyday! I don't agree that it gives you a '100% pore less look' it doesn't mask the look of my pores at all. It is ok for an everyday foundation that won't make you break out.

on 5/26/2014 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Siding with a lot of ladies on here - this foundation is not great. I am very pale and although the match was great for my skin tone, this definitely oxidized by midday and left me with an orange tinge. Very disappointed as the formula is rather lovely. Will definitely not repurchase or continue using.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I like this product for when I wear make up at night before I'm about to go out, because it does make skin look poreless and it doesn't have any SPF. A lot of people say it's bad for pale skin but I am very pale and I think it works great with my skin

on 10/13/2012 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

First I really enjoyed this product. But after a while I noticed that it left my skin looking very uneven/blouchty and flakey at some parts. I found it quite hard to blend in nicely with my stippling brush. The coulor selection wasn't too good either, unfortunately. Overall not very impressed with this foundation.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I was pleasantly surprised by this foundation. I bought it after I watched the advert of it and didn't read the reviews of it.
I was quite surprised because it looked great on my face. It gave pretty good coverage.
What I didn't like is that it doesn't last long. After about 4 hours it was slipping off my face so that was disappointing.
I should add I do put on primer before I put my foundation on.
Overall, for what you're paying for this foundation, I think it's pretty good.

on 4/22/2012 10:26:00 AM

After reading some reviews about this foundation, I wanted to give it a try. And I'm glad I did. I use 04 fawn and it matches my skin nicely, giving it a nice glow and making it look healthy. Stays on for a long time and overall I consider it a very nice foundation from Maybelline (a brand which sometimes comes out with very lousy products). Just a small amount will do the trick, covers well yet doesn't cake. Will definitely buy again.

My favourite and probably best foundation I've used so far. It goes on so effortlessly and blends into my skin really well. Whilst giving me an almost full coverage with little need for concealer :) This foundation is also really easy to build up if needed - doesn't look cakey. In fact it looks almost natural, as though you're hardly wearing any makeup at all. (even with a finishing powder applied on top). It gives a nice, warm and refreshed look to my face that lasts nearly all day. Leaving it feeling smooth and soft. It hasn't dried out my skin, made oily areas shiny or caused any extra breakouts than normal. I've finally found a foundation that compliments my combination skin :D
My only complaint, is that sometimes the pump seems to stick and it takes a while before any foundation will come out. However I think it might just be the bottle I picked up.
It's a great foundation for the price and has probably saved me a lot of money by not wasting it on more expensive brands that do nothing for me. Definitely buying again.

EDIT: After using this for about a month, I've now come to see the problem I seem to have with all foundations I love to start off with. I can't figure out what I did when I first bought it but now I just can't make it look as well as it did. The end result slowly lost it's glow and flawlessness. After a few hours it would accentuate smile lines and the pores around my nose and forehead, and it didn't give as much coverage as I used to find. I really can't get my head around it... I don't think I've changed anything or done anything differently, but either way I'm still searching for my HG.

on 11/21/2011 8:50:00 AM

I love this foundation! It goes on so well and gives a medium coverage that hides my imperfections rather well. I still use some concealer, but because it's so lightweight and easily build-able, I don't need to use as much as I would with other foundations. Plus, it allows you to do so without looking cake-y or too obvious. Not only does it not feel heavy on the skin, it also feels really smooth and soft. (Although I do tend to use a facial scrub, moisturiser and primer beforehand).
The colour range is good and although I use Ivory which is probably a shade too dark for my skin tone, strangely I find it to be a lot more complimentary than if using a shade that actually matched. The Ivory shade is great for blending into my pale skin, giving it a (not orange!) warm and healthy colour. In fact the other day, I received quite a lot of compliments on how nice and fresh-faced I looked. :)
The thing I love most about this foundation is that it goes great with my favourite mineral powder applied on top, and the finished result looks as though you are hardly wearing any make-up at all! Result!
For that I would have given it a 5 but it doesn't quite last all day, but if applying a good setting spray afterwards I'm sure it would do.

on 11/2/2011 1:17:00 PM

I purchased this foundation a few weeks ago and i really like it. It gives great coverage and lasts for hours, so you dont have to keep applying it through out the day. It comes in a variety of colours from ivory to cocoa. I use the founation in the colour ivory and it matches my skin tone perfectly.The foundation bottle also has a pump which i prefer as its much more hygienic.
i love this product and i would definitely purchase it again. In Irelnad this product can be purchased for around 9 or 10( i cant remember the exact price!) which in my opinion is a very good price for a great product .
Before i started using this foundation i used the Dream Smooth Mousse but i find that the liquid version stays on for much longer. When applying this foundation i use my hands to start of then i use my 'Ruby & Mille' foundation brush from boots to finish off i really like this brush and i got it for a total bargain in the boots sale for 1!!
i would give this foundation a 4/5 :)