Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid

Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid

3.5

aqua/water, isododecane, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, glycerin, cyclohexasilohexane, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxethyl dimethicone, butylenes glycol, dimethicone crosspolymer, disteardimonium hectorite, PEG-10 dimethicone, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, sodium chloride, phenoxyethanol, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, caprylyl glycol,disodium stearoyl glutamate, PEG-9, aluminum hydroxide. May contain: CI 77891, titanium dioxide, CI 77499, CI 77491, iron oxides.

on 7/11/2016 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This used to be my HG foundation. First off, I love the finish, especially when I blend it using a buffing brush or Real Techniques expert face brush in circular motions, it just gives such a wonderful and unique finish -- my face literally looked satin-y. Not demi-matte, not dewy -- satin-y. Which is really cool because I haven't seen this kind finish from any other foundation I've tried. The coverage is great too. It was a medium coverage, off the bat, and can be built up on areas where I need more coverage. As to color match, I think I found mine in the shade B5 which has a more yellow undertone (I first tried a darker shade, PO3, I think, and that has a cooler undertone so I guess Maybelline did take undertones into consideration for this line of foundation). Oh, for reference I'm an NC40 match in the MAC Studio Fix line, however, I go for NC37 because I am extremely acidic.

HOwever, there are two (2) CONS for me here:

The first CON, which is kind of big for me, is ..... it's quite uncomfortable to wear. Whenever I wear this foundation, it weighs on me, like, I can tell I have something heavy on. I guess that's the trade-off for a high-coverage foundation? I 'm not sure. Plus, around the first hour of wear, I can feel my skin heating up, literally. It bothers me a lot that's why I'm still on the fence if I would repurchase.

The second CON, which isn't really that bothersome, is that, it transfers easily. It stays on better if I put a primer underneath and set it with powder. Which is why it doesn't bother me much.

Nevertheless, if that first CON does not bother you at all, I would totally recommend it. It has great finish, great coverage, great color selection, does not cling to dry patches. What more could you ask?

on 5/26/2016 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought both the liquid foundation and the powder in the shade B23.

Pros:
1) Nice light feel after application, which is nice especially when you dislike the goopy feel of other foundation like me.
2) Natural looking dewey finish.
3) Comes in a bottle with a pump which gives easy access.
4) Affordable price.
5) Doesn't cause breakouts on my sensitive skin.
6) Your-skin-but-better look.

Cons:
1) Had to reapply powder over foundation after 3 hours due to how oily my skin is to begin with and the oily formula didn't help either.
2) Lasting power isn't strong.
3) Gets really cakey if you sweat.

Would recommend for dry skin and for non-sweaty conditions. Not for oily skin and sweaty girls, unfortunately. :(

To Read all 136 Reviews, Login or Join

This is literally the only foundation I have found that covers my huge pores, red skin and dry patches. It never looks cakey and has a lovely dewy velvety finish and doesn't bring me out in spots or make me super oily. I have a really oily t-zone already and the wear isn't great, I do need to reapply again before I go out in the evening or even more if it's hot but I think a powder would help (I just can't find one that doesn't accentuate my pores and go patchy!) It has a good coverage whilst still looking natural and I've found the perfect way to apply, like many others have said is with a damp beauty blender (just buy a cheap knock off on Amazon)

The surface of my skin is quite damaged from teen acne and too much exfoliation and whenever the people at expensive makeup counters try foundations on me, they go all patchy on those areas, and I'm told it's not the foundation, it's my bad skin care, but dream satin liquid has no problem gliding over the problem areas. 10 Ivory is also one of the only foundations with pinky undertones, most brands only carry colours that are more yellow-y. Whilst I do wish the wear was better, I've found no better foundation even from the most high end brands!

on 4/5/2016 7:25:00 AM

The Liquid Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid was my first ever foundation, I'd been over youtube and plenty of reviews and when I got to boots I was glad to find there was an offer on Maybelline so I managed to get it much cheaper than the original price.

- SHADE
I bought it in 10 Ivory (the lightest possible shade) which at the time seemed like my skin colour. It wasn't until i was half way through my second bottle that my family and sister (who is very good with makeup) pointed out the foundation was very orange on me. Looking back, it was too orange for me and considering my skin is rather fair (not extremely pale) I was annoyed that the lightest shade was way too orange. So if you're pale or light, this probably isn't right for you.

- COVERAGE + CONSISTENCY
I would say that the actual foundation has medium coverage and I was very happy with the coverage on my skin. Although it's a liquid foundation it doesn't feel as watery as many of the foundations I own although It still feels light an natural on skin. It did cling only slightly onto dry patches but otherwise, was nice to my skin and didn't cause spots or breakouts.

- OVERALL
To be honest, I used this foundation for a very long time and was convinced it was amazing but looking back now, the lightest shade was way too orange and that was one of the only problems for me. Otherwise, coverage was good - application was easy and it lasted a decent amount of time although did come off slightly. Only other problem I can say is that you could see bits where my skin was dry.

on 4/1/2016 8:08:00 AM

It looks great on my combo skin alone, but even better when mixed with garnier bb cream for oily skin. I give it 4 lippies due to average staying power.

on 3/25/2016 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It is an okay everyday foundation. If you have oily skin like i do, you will not like this. this won't stay on my skin for more than 4 hours. I still use it because I like the healthy glow it gives. It covers the redness on my cheeks and just makes me look flawless. I like the packaging too, very simple, and it has a pump. Everything about this foundation is good except the staying power. I have not owned any foundation that made me oil up so quick but this one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I honestly don't know what to say about this foundation other than I HATE IT.
I bought it as it was advertised on Superdrug's website as one of their bestsellers, and since I was looking for a cheaper foundation I gave it a go since it was cheap and seemingly lots of people liked it.
It was hell from the get go: None of the shades suited me, and my local Superdrug didn't have the lightest shade. So I had to go further to try it out. The colour is actually quite nice on my skin.
However, the product is nowhere near the 'poreless perfection' it offers on the bottle. This foundation sets into EVERY SINGLE PORE on my skin and even into wrinkles I didn't even know I had! I use two layers of moisturizer (Let soak into my skin) and it still makes my skin look really flakey too.
I don't know about how long it wears, since the four times I've attempted to use it (I've tried using a foundation brush, stippling brush and beauty blender twice) I've had to wipe it off and use another foundation because it just looks like I have a very bad skin condition.
Overall, give it a miss. Save your money and spend it on a nicer quality foundation.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am the lightest shade (1 - Natural Ivory) and it has lightly warmer undertones than expected. However, as a naturally pale person, I can get away with this because it gives me a natural glow and makes my skin look a bit more "healthy", but just be aware. I live in England, and I picked this up from Superdrug. It has a "New Formula" tag on it. I never tried the old formula, and so I don't know what's different about it.
This has a satin finish, which means for very oily skin, this might not be great. However the product is oil free, so it isn't going to break you out or clog your pores majorly. The finish is gives you a more flawless, natural glow and less of a shine as more sheer/oily products provide without being drying or cakey like some matte formulas.
The product blends effortlessly and sits nicely. The coverage is mostly medium for that more natural finish, but easily buildable, and there is a slight blurring effect, helping to conceal pores and textured skin.
HOWEVER, I have seen a lot of people annoyed or disappointed at this product, so I thought I would give my personal application process, because I think it works really well as such:
(Note, I have oily/combo skin, so this might not work the same for y'all.)

1. Apply a non drying, mattifying primer (pore concealing will help, but is not essential. I recommend Rimmel London's Stay Matte) and let it sit into the skin for about 10 mins. The reason I use a mattifying primer is because it's going to stop any natural oils from mixing with the formula of the foundation and therefore keep the look "satiny" and not greasy.

2. Apply a coat of the foundation with a sponge/beauty blender/knock-off BY TAPPING the product into the skin, not brushing, swirling or rubbing. This is going to help the product adhere to the skin and the primer as well as give you better coverage and avoid streaks.

3. Using the tips of your fingers, gently pat the product in all over the face by bouncing your fingers off your skin. You'll notice that if you just use a sponge, the skin still looks a little 'foundationy' rather than natural, and the natural oils from your fingers will help to visibly blur the product, helping to really conceal those pores and seem flawless.

4. Let the product dry in for about 5-10 mins. The formula doesn't feel wet, but can feel a little bit sticky, so let it dry down, and then set the face with a powder of your choice to get rid of any areas that may be a little bit tacky still. Preferably use a lightweight, translucent one, and this will lighten up the colour, helping to match your skin tone better, as well as avoid causing "cakeiness".

I think for the price and the look, this product is fantastic. Is is my current go to foundation for everyday wear, (though I have been tempted to try the Fit Me Matte and Poreless- any recommendations?) and I will 100% repurchase. It certainly isn't for everyone, but it is worth a try, definitely for the more combo skin people out there, as well as any oily folk that want a bit less of a flat texture to their foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Feels very light on the skin but gives a good amount of coverage. Not drying at all, and it makes my skin look like it's glowing!
Only criticsims are that it can be prone to creasing and oiliness, not too much of an issue for me as my skin doesn't get too oily but something for other people to keep in mind. Also, I have this foundation in what I believe to be the lightest shade (Light Porcelain), but this is still slightly too dark/orangey for my skin when it's at its palest!
Overall, great foundation for quite a low price - definite value for money. I would repurchase and recommend this to others.

on 3/5/2016 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I normally never buy drugstore foundation. Recently however I was looking for something else and noticed this foundation and its claim to minimize pores. Where I live in Europe drugstore cosmetics all have testers so I could try it out right there. The foundation melts into the skin and really does minimize pores - much better than any other foundation I´ve used. I´m a MAC N20 and 10 Ivory in Dream Satin is an excellent match for me. I´ve been using this now for about 3 months - no breakouts and still really happy. Would buy again.