L'Oreal Excellence Dark Ash Brown

Excellence Dark Ash BrownExcellence Dark Ash Brown

2.3

on 10/8/2017 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

It's fall, and my summery caramel highlights have become brassy as of late and feel uninspired. Time for a change! I settle on L'Oréal Excellence in Dark Ash Brown 4A.

The promise of dark, cool brown hair sounds like just the ticket. I've used this shade in the past with good results on virgin hair, although it always comes out much darker than the box initially.

L'Oréal covers grays and, after multiple washes, it turns a lovely, cool, super dark ash brown.

A few words of caution. First, it looks jet black immediately after dyeing. Gasp! It takes a couple of weeks to settle into a nice dark brown and lose the jet black look. I recommend dyeing at least two weeks before any special events. Even then, the result may be darker than the box - like the darkest possible shade of brown.

That said, there are options to dial down the initial jet black look immediately if you can't wait. I'll detail these at the end of this review.

Second, the color bleeds after the initial rinsing and can stain fabric. I rinsed for 20 minutes, but unfortunately my wet hair stained my pillowcase anyway. After realizing the color was still bleeding, I washed again, with shampoo this time, three times in a row.

I wouldn't worry about washing out too much dye because my hair was still jet black after three shampoos. (Not what I wanted, but it's a good sign for those of you seeking gray coverage. It really stays put!) Like I said, it really takes quite a few washes to turn the perfect dark brown.

Once it settles into itself, it is truly gorgeous brown. It just takes a bit of time to get there!

•••

As promised, here are some techniques I used to lessen the initial jet black look immediately:

1. The most effective method I tried was mixing one part vitamin C* with two parts shampoo, and applying the mixture to slightly dampened hair. Wear a shower cap and set a timer for two hours. Once rinsed, your hair will be one shade lighter. Enjoy your new dark brown hair!
(See before and after above.)
*Note: I had vitamin C oil on hand (specifically, some old Timeless Vitamin C serum that had oxidized. Glad that bottle didn't go to waste!)
The next day, I repeated the process, this time by crushing up some generic vitamin C tablets. I placed 15 vitamins in a ziploc bag and gently crushed the pills using a hammer. It was easy, and took only about three minutes or so.

2. The vitamin C method above was by far the most effective. The second-best option is to leave shampoo in your hair for an hour or two. Head and Shoulders, Pantene or any basic, strong drugstore shampoo will work. Simply apply shampoo to damp hair, cover with a shower cap, set a timer for two hours and then rinse well. Doing so will make your hair about one-half shade lighter. It's not a major difference, but it will look more like a brownish/almost-black shade instead of jet black.

3. The last option, if you're not in a hurry, is to just wash daily with any basic, strong drugstore shampoo like Head and Shoulders or Pantene. After a couple of weeks, you'll notice the color go from black to gorgeous dark brown.

I like L'Oréal Excellence, but next time I may choose a lighter shade so I don't have hide out for a day and "correct" the color at home.

on 11/18/2011 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I loved this color at first. It was exactly what I was looking for - almost black but richer and warmer, and more flattering on my porcelain skin. Unfortunately, it's fading fast. It seems to be washing right out. It could very well be because I was very blonde before I used it, but I've never had another hair color fade this way, no matter how blonde I was first. I've gone from light to dark and dark to light many times, and have never had this problem. I honestly don't know if I would buy it again. I want to, because I'd love to get that initial color back, but if it only lasts through a few shampoos before turning mousey, then it's probably not worth it.

This colored my hair very well, better than just about anything else I've tried, but I lost much more hair than usual in the rinse stage, and I've continued to have excessive hair loss in the three weeks since I colored my hair. I wouldn't purchase this again because I don't want to run the risk of losing more hair.