LUSH Gorilla Perfume - Lust

Gorilla Perfume - Lust

3.8

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Since other reviewers have explained Lust's composition, I'd like to offer a review on the scent's effect on people's...dispositions.

Received two workplace responses (stated below to 99% accuracy) to this scent which reflect almost all male/female reactions to me when I'm wearing it.

Female 1: What are you wearing?

Me: LUSH's Lust.

Female 1: You smell like candy. Like a sweet tart.

Me: Central notes do include ylang-ylang and jasmine.

Female 1: Yeah, ok, I smell cheap candy.
Female 2: It's kinda...too sweet or something.

Me: Noted.

Female 1 (out of earshot of Female 2): What's the name of it again?

Male 1: What...do you smell that?
Male 2: It's like flowers and honey...some sort of...
Male 1: They're blue. I smell this flower outside of my bedroom window.
Male 2: Violets, lilacs, I smell jasmine...
Male 1: Yes, lilacs. Are you stalking me?

Me: How so?

Male 1: I swear, I smell this every night before I go to sleep.
Male 2: You're not very good at this, are you?

Myself and Male 1: I'm [you're] not supposed to leave a trail.

You can likely imagine the simultaneous emotions emitted by the people who smell me. Women = 75% miffed curiosity, 15% repulsion, 10% tell-me-the-name-of-that-scent-or-I-will-hunt-you-down.

Men? 75% muffled carnality, 15% feigned repulsion, 10% I-will-hunt-you-down.

It should be noted that these responses transcend socio/economic barriers. The men at work? The VP and a Director. Should have known better. Lust is a strange mistress, no?

This scent is not meant for people who cannot carry it off. Regardless of whether or not someone likes it, almost everyone who has encountered it says it's to some degree, loud. Almost ostentatiously so. I'd almost say Lust is a bit polarizing in that you either adore it, or it's just too much.

Suffice to say, this is one of my signature fragrances. LUSH nailed the combination of frenetic flirtation and simmering sexuality.

There's another fragrance they made, however, which is the yin to this yang. If Lust is a Porsche ride to a pulsating rave? Cocktail is a chauffeured Bentley to a sultry jazz club. One evokes reactions of those seduced, one is conducive to the seduction itself. Hard to explain, but understood when experienced.

LUSH's perfumiers are immensely underrated.

on 1/6/2017 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have the 1 oz perfume spray. My husband, who is damned close to being "nose-blind" loves this stuff like it's the only fragrance worth smelling, ever. It IS sexual, and it's also the most realistic perfume I've ever encountered. Outstanding and absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe the reasonable price for this! I'm from Southern California, so the smell of jasmine is a part of my being. Jasmine grows everywhere...parking lots, freeways, backyards, and gardens. Sometimes, heading West on the 10 toward Santa Monica, the scent of jasmine is heavy enough to perfume car exhaust, and unrelenting air pollution. It starts blooming in a rush, in February, making the air absolutely intoxicating. My gardens have bloomed with Pink Jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum), Star Jasmine (Jasminum multiflorum), Arabian Jasmine (Jasminum sambac), Night-Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum), Yellow Jasmine (Gelsemium semperviren), Spanish Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum), and "common" Jasmine (Jasminum officinale). As much as I love jasmine, I rarely wear jasmine perfumes. They usually smell "off" on me, or unpleasant, or, frankly "head-shoppy". Some reviewers perceive Lust as this humid, asphalt-like Jasmine Sambac (also known as Sampaguita). Other reviewers describe Lust as "vulgar", "unrefined", "smoky", "indolic"...which suggest Lust smells like a "dirty" jasmine...again, the gardenia-like scent I associate with Arabian Jasmine (sambac). This is fascinating to me, and it makes me love Lust perfume even more. It seemed impossible to actually capture the scent I know as jasmine...but when I smell Lust, my nose tells my brain to think "common" or Poet's Jasmine. Common jasmine has fluffy, delicate, white, 5-petaled flowers that release their scent at dusk, as the sun slides to the edge of the ocean. Lust is an exultant, amazing actualization of this bewitching aura. Lust isn't a concept or a recollection of jasmine, i.e. Michael Kors Glam Jasmine, or Alien. It's narcotic, pure, and very sweet; closer to A La Nuit. It's a honeysuckle-type jasmine scent (Jasminum officinale). It smells alive. Lust is the perfume I'm wearing when everyone around me turns their heads to see if the windows are open. Lust is a masterpiece for me.

on 11/16/2010 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This perfume smells great. It is the richest most indulgent jasmine ever. If you like their Flying Fox shower gel it's like that yet MORE so.

Here's the problem: it leaves a bright pink stain on your clothes. The stain doesn't show up right away--- it can take days to appear. My dry cleaner was able to get it out of most of my clothes, just not this one thin cotton blouse .Sigh.

It's so weird that the stain doesnt show up till days later but it's true. I did a spot test on an old shirt and it proved that this was the perfume doing it.

If you are very careful in where you spray it you should be fine. But i love to put perfume on my clothes so I can't realy wear it anymore.

I havent had this issue with any other Lush scents.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

phwoar. i love this perfume so incredibly much. i fell in love with godiva (solid shampoo) first and decided that i wanted my whole body to have that lovely jasmine scent all day long, so i bought the lust spritzer. it's the second strongest of the three lust perfuming options, and that suits me just fine. it lasts throughout the day and i can easily carry it around with me in it's little tubey bottle. (just make sure you put it in a secure spot in your handbag as it's made of glass) the assistant even said that if i ever bought the bigger bottle i could fill up my little one! how handy and environmentally friendly (of course)!
all you need to do is spray a little bit on your neck and rub it with your wrists. it's quite a dark orange so you have to do this.
people keep commenting on the colouring and i'd just like to mention that the reason it isn't clear is because it is natural. it may be a bit irritating in the solid - which i haven't tried - but in the spray you just have to rub it in and it's gone!
it's best to put this on half an hour to an hour before you plan on smelling delicious because it takes a while for it to develop. when i first tried it on in the shop the girl told me to go for a little wander and come back a bit later. naturally i bought it and just could not stop sniffing myself. honestly, i am addicted. i sometimes just put a bit on even if i'm at home alone in my jim jams. one night i sprayed a bit on a piece of card and popped it under my pillow. that's how good it smells. and i'm not the only one who finds it irresistible! every time i wear it i get complements from both men and women.
it's sophisticated, but flirty, and sexy, but not overpowering. it's just that whiff that makes you want to get closer.......i highly recommend it! it gives you a great confidence boost. and you just smell so pretty all day long. :)
only slight problem is that i think because i have quite sensitive skin and i'm also hayfever prone and such, and because it's so concentrated, it gives me a slight rash on the sensitive area on my neck. a shame, but i don't even care. i love jasmine too much to care!

ps. even with my addiction, i still haven't finished my little spritzer tube. i think i still have quite a bit left actually!
and i know that people are saying that they think it's kind of a "dirty" type sexy, but it's really not. it's really quite feminine and lovely. i have even worn it to job interviews and got compliments. it's actually a really lovely fragrance and i don't see why everyone is making it sound so nasty!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Just as the previous reviewer said, this smells like Jasmine tea. I adore the smell of Jasmine and have struggled to find a fragrance that does it full justice since Crabtree and Evelyn stopped selling Jasmin de Provence years ago. Despite there being a branch of Lush in my nearest town I'd never really bothered with it. That was until I became a MUA devotee and read the reviews! Now I'm addicted to their solid shampoo bars which smell so heavenly and work so well and now this little beauty. Smells divine and has decent longevity on the skin. I applied about 7am this morning and still get delicious wafts of warm (not overpowering) Jasmine tickling my nose. All for £5 for the solid stick which will last ages.

UPDATE - I applied this to my usual pulse points and ended up with noticeable red staining on the collar of my white work shirt so beware, this stuff stains

Listed notes: jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, vanilla, sandalwood.
I used to buy a special brand of green tea with jasmine. Don't remember the brand name, but the tea smelled wonderful, like meditation in a cup, so rich and calming. Later I discovered other green tea & jasmine combinations but never found that tea again. Fast forward, Lust by LUSH, from their new Gorilla Perfume line smells so much like my beloved green tea with jasmine!! There's that dark green vegetal bitterness, grounded, thick and dark with jasmine that is more musty and carnal than floral. Tempered with ylang ylang, this jasmine scent feels almost dirty, but in a good way. There's some sweetness but no obvious vanilla, though it's listed in the notes. So far from typical white floral fragrance, and so very different from modern transparent jasmine interpretations. If you enjoy true indolic jasmine, or often find yourself lusting for a cup of green tea with jasmine, then I suggest testing this. By the way, the sample bottles are very cleverly made, with something like a tiny sifter opening with a cap.

I bought this in both forms - the spray and the solid. I'd not read any reviews that the scent differed depending on format, but it's something I quickly discovered for myself.

I bought the solid first. At $8ish CAD, it seemed a steal. The tiny, chubby tube is perfect to stash away in a pocket or a purse. I rub this on my wrists and on my neck, right at my hairline, but never near clothing, as I'd been warned by SAs and reviewers alike of its staining ability. The scent is all gorgeous, sweet, true jasmine, and it lingers throughout the day, and even into evening without need of reapplication. I suppose I could have been satisfied with the solid, but, like most addicts, I had to have the other too... so off I went for the spray.

The first half hour or so of the spray is just as dreamy. It's like sitting in a bed of jasmine with a honey scented candle lit somewhere nearby. Then, suddenly, a soft whisper of wheat - or maybe bread? After an hour, it's much clearer, and it's like I'm standing in a kitchen with an armful of fresh baked loaves, with some remnant jasmine perfume lingering somewhere, although I can't tell where, in the room, not even on me.

So, as it stands, I'm a Lust solid fan. The spray leaves something to be desired for me, but no worries. The solid is cheaper anyway.

on 1/24/2012 11:25:00 PM

I think Lush are too generous with the essential/ perfume oils in their Gorilla Perfumes!

I recently bought the Gorilla perfume set that contained: Vanillary, Imogen Rose, Tuca Tuca, Lust, The Smell of Freedom, Orange Blossom, Breath of God and Karma. After a happy opening and smelling session with my daughter and a friend I felt seriously nauseous. I went online to see if anyone had developed the same reaction. Itís been really good to read the mixed reception to these scents on your Blog.

Iíve loved buying both synthetic scents and essential oils to use and experiment with since the 80ís, when I worked in the Body Shop. Since then Iíve often bought concentrate essential oils that should only be handled wearing rubber gloves. Cedarwood, Pine and Petitgain are wonderful oils when diluted in a bath or massage oil, but they smell as harsh as toilet freshener when encountered as concentrates. Some rather frank descriptions online of the Gorilla Perfumes encouraged me to don the rubber gloves and dilute my Lush Gorilla concentrates. I filled a 500ml spray bottle with water and added 1/5 of a phial of Orange Blossom. The transformation was a very pleasant surprise; I would now describe Orange Blossom as containing a very generous helping of Neroli. As someone who enjoys Neroliís cologne like qualities, this provides a very refreshing backdrop to the less dominant scents of Ylang Ylang and Orange flower which slowly emerge through a screen of Rosewood.

I will continue to explore the Gorilla Perfumes. They arenít imitating fashion scents - which I like, but they do appear to contain a high percentage of essential/ perfume oils. Iíd urge anyone who buys the Gorilla Perfumes to dilute them first (while wearing rubber gloves) because the concentrate scents linger on your hands for several hours.

on 3/12/2011 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

If you could only being to know how much I adore this scent. It is everything I want and more! Whenever I wear this EVERY single person I come across stops and ask me what I am wearing. As my co-worker described it, it smells like "hot sex" lol. I think she meant it smells like a completely seductive woman that any man would want to lay down with and I agree. I mean, afterall, the name is Lust right? I have the soild and my only complaint is that the scent doesnt last long enough. I want a body lotion in this scent so I can layer! LUSH----please put this scent into everyone of your products! I already use Godiva and plan on buying Flying Fox and will def. buy anything containing this sexy jasmine...what a winner!

on 1/3/2011 11:41:00 AM

Indolic jasmine in super-concentrated form. It has displaced L'artisan's La Haie Fleurie from its top place in my list of "Too heady, steer away" fragrances. Actually, that one feels pretty wearable after this one. If you can't handle the cat pee, poop associations of indoles, run for the hills.