LUSH Gorilla Perfume - Lust

Filtered by age: 30-35
LUSH Gorilla Perfume - Lust
Gorilla Perfume - Lust

3.9

Listed notes: jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, vanilla, sandalwood.
I used to buy a special brand of green tea with jasmine. Don't remember the brand name, but the tea smelled wonderful, like meditation in a cup, so rich and calming. Later I discovered other green tea & jasmine combinations but never found that tea again. Fast forward, Lust by LUSH, from their new Gorilla Perfume line smells so much like my beloved green tea with jasmine!! There's that dark green vegetal bitterness, grounded, thick and dark with jasmine that is more musty and carnal than floral. Tempered with ylang ylang, this jasmine scent feels almost dirty, but in a good way. There's some sweetness but no obvious vanilla, though it's listed in the notes. So far from typical white floral fragrance, and so very different from modern transparent jasmine interpretations. If you enjoy true indolic jasmine, or often find yourself lusting for a cup of green tea with jasmine, then I suggest testing this. By the way, the sample bottles are very cleverly made, with something like a tiny sifter opening with a cap.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

For those who like their jasmine extra indolic, Lust is just the fragrance you've been looking for. On me, though, it's just nauseatingly poopy. White florals are not my friends.

on 10/19/2010 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love it! I love Jasmine oil. This is perfect on my skin, not too strong not too soft. I bought the solid one. Great price too

on 11/8/2010 12:43:00 PM

I bought Lust only because it's a close dupe to Flying Fox and I wanted a really good jasmine scent. This is pretty close, and very jasminey. I like that the jasmine has that shap tanginess that only Lush seems to capture (most jasmine scents seem too powdery to me). However, if you're a fan of Flying Fox, you'll notice the difference. Lust just doesn't have the honey or citrusy notes that Flying Fox is famous for. For me, it's an "ok" scent, but it lacks depth and silliage. Fine for evenings when you want to smell a little sexier, but it's just not glamourous and nuanced like a higher end fragrance would be. I would not buy again - Serge Lutens is better.

on 11/16/2010 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This perfume smells great. It is the richest most indulgent jasmine ever. If you like their Flying Fox shower gel it's like that yet MORE so.

Here's the problem: it leaves a bright pink stain on your clothes. The stain doesn't show up right away--- it can take days to appear. My dry cleaner was able to get it out of most of my clothes, just not this one thin cotton blouse .Sigh.

It's so weird that the stain doesnt show up till days later but it's true. I did a spot test on an old shirt and it proved that this was the perfume doing it.

If you are very careful in where you spray it you should be fine. But i love to put perfume on my clothes so I can't realy wear it anymore.

I havent had this issue with any other Lush scents.

on 1/3/2011 11:41:00 AM

Indolic jasmine in super-concentrated form. It has displaced L'artisan's La Haie Fleurie from its top place in my list of "Too heady, steer away" fragrances. Actually, that one feels pretty wearable after this one. If you can't handle the cat pee, poop associations of indoles, run for the hills.

on 4/15/2012 4:56:00 PM

I love this stuff. If you like Godiva shampoo, you will love this as well. To me it just smells like pure jasmine, raw and unsophisticated. Love it. My everyday type of perfume. I only use a touch of it underneath clothes for a very special person to enjoy at the end of the day.

on 5/31/2012 12:55:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I love this scent. I bought the spray and could spend all day smelling it, if it lasted that long. But I suppose that is not unusual for any perfume.

on 8/7/2012 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Wow this is a gorgeous sparkling jasmine tea like scent and i dont even like fragrances that are predominantly jasmine based with the indoles - yuk!

This review is for the solid stick and i adore this scent which lasts all night on me. Incredible for a solid perfume that cost me only 5 and more sillage than my expensive fragrances!!

The red colour has been toned down so i have no problem with staining.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Since other reviewers have explained Lust's composition, I'd like to offer a review on the scent's effect on people's...dispositions.

Received two workplace responses (stated below to 99% accuracy) to this scent which reflect almost all male/female reactions to me when I'm wearing it.

Female 1: What are you wearing?

Me: LUSH's Lust.

Female 1: You smell like candy. Like a sweet tart.

Me: Central notes do include ylang-ylang and jasmine.

Female 1: Yeah, ok, I smell cheap candy.
Female 2: It's kinda...too sweet or something.

Me: Noted.

Female 1 (out of earshot of Female 2): What's the name of it again?

Male 1: What...do you smell that?
Male 2: It's like flowers and honey...some sort of...
Male 1: They're blue. I smell this flower outside of my bedroom window.
Male 2: Violets, lilacs, I smell jasmine...
Male 1: Yes, lilacs. Are you stalking me?

Me: How so?

Male 1: I swear, I smell this every night before I go to sleep.
Male 2: You're not very good at this, are you?

Myself and Male 1: I'm [you're] not supposed to leave a trail.

You can likely imagine the simultaneous emotions emitted by the people who smell me. Women = 75% miffed curiosity, 15% repulsion, 10% tell-me-the-name-of-that-scent-or-I-will-hunt-you-down.

Men? 75% muffled carnality, 15% feigned repulsion, 10% I-will-hunt-you-down.

It should be noted that these responses transcend socio/economic barriers. The men at work? The VP and a Director. Should have known better. Lust is a strange mistress, no?

This scent is not meant for people who cannot carry it off. Regardless of whether or not someone likes it, almost everyone who has encountered it says it's to some degree, loud. Almost ostentatiously so. I'd almost say Lust is a bit polarizing in that you either adore it, or it's just too much.

Suffice to say, this is one of my signature fragrances. LUSH nailed the combination of frenetic flirtation and simmering sexuality.

There's another fragrance they made, however, which is the yin to this yang. If Lust is a Porsche ride to a pulsating rave? Cocktail is a chauffeured Bentley to a sultry jazz club. One evokes reactions of those seduced, one is conducive to the seduction itself. Hard to explain, but understood when experienced.

LUSH's perfumiers are immensely underrated.

Popular Fragrances