OPI Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous

OPI Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous

4.6

on 12/22/2011 8:59:00 PM

OPI was right to put marvelous in its name because that is exactly what it is. It is a a beautiful combination of slightly darker than gunmetal base infused lots of fine silver, (and less of) pink and green glitter. I should note that in majority of the lightings, the pink and green glitters don't show up very well, revealing only the dominant silver glitter. However, I was lucky enough that the lighting at the Ulta I was visiting happen to have the weird lighting which reveals its multicolored awesomeness. I've read in reviews and heard of others suggesting it as dupes of some Chanel polishes. I shall debunk two such myths here.
1. Graphite: The only thing that they have in common is that they contain glitter and are darker than a normal silver base. Otherwise, they have nothing in common. The base for LLM much much darker and closer to black while Graphite is like a slightly darkened silver. Graphite has pretty much only silver and gold while LLM has silver, pink, and green.
2. Black Pearl: The most unique thing about either polish is their finish, and these two polishes aren't even classified in the same finish family. Black Pearl really does look like pearl, but LLM is straight up fine chunks of visible glitter. LLM did remotely remind me of Black Pearl somehow though, probably because they both have a dark grey base with green accents (but Black Pearl doesn't have the pink).
I'd also like to note the LLM reminds me SO much of the darkest color of the Ombrés Perleés de Chanel palette from the same Chanel collection as Black Pearl (which is a soft grey-black with silver, pink, and green in its pearly shimmers).
Like many have already noted, LLM applies like a dream, takes 3 layers to become opaque enough to sufficiently hide the VNL, and applies like a normal nail polish (and not a glitter, as we would expect).  Overall, I think it is a marvelously beautiful polish, and if I do finish it, I shall track it down and repurchase.

Overall Rating: 4.2/5

Product Efficacy: 3.5/5
Quality: 5/5
Value: 4/5

Review: I bought this on a whim at the beauty store - I went in planning to buy Ski Teal We Drop, also from the Swiss Collection, but found it to be much more blue than the promo images showed. I bought this polish instead because it's stunning in the bottle, and I needed a good winter neutral (I think I own mayyyyybe five nail polishes?). It was $7.99, if I remember correctly. The color is lovely - a gunmetal gray with tiny sparkles that look lighter in bright light.
I have very high standards for nail polish, mostly because a) I'm cheap and b) I'm a spaz. Take a chimp, blind him, remove a few digits on his dominant hand, and then have him start mainlining Adderall*, and he'd STILL be a better manicurist than I am. With that in mind, the smoothness of a polish is important to me, because I can't handle ones that are tricky to apply. This went on very nicely - I did two coats and a topcoat of Seche Vite - although it did take me a little while to get the hang of it. In the future, I will either do two thicker coats or three thin ones, because the polish isn't totally opaque. OPI's brushes are always nice, and with the topcoat, the polish dried quickly without any streaking or pooling at one end of the nail. I did notice that it was very difficult to clean up the little mistakes I made, which is annoying.
It's been three days and still looking fine except for a little unevenness around the cuticles that's probably due to my amateur application. A tiny, tiny bit of tipwear, but nothing noticeable. Overall, the staying power is quite good.

Would I buy this again? No, only because I'm sure it will last until I'm beyond bored with it.
Would I recommend it? Yes.

*Just to be clear, never, ever, under any circumstances, actually do this to a chimp.

on 8/18/2010 2:34:00 AM

Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous is one of the new glittery colours from the Swiss collection for Fall/Winter 2010. Glitter has become quite fashionable recently & considering the enormous attention received by Mad As A Hatter (from Alice In Wonderland collection), it's not surprising to see a couple of glittery finishes in this collection.

This colour, as well as Glitzerland, apparently are not the typical glitter/metallic/shimmer formulations & this type of finish/texture is new to OPI. It's sort of a foil/glitter shimmer, which gives it a metallic sheen/effect. Lucerne-tainly is a deep, rich steel grey with fine flecks of a silvery foil-like glitter. When this hits the light, it's gorgeous - the reflect is amazing & you get this appearance of an all-over foil, but then you look closer and you can see the little flecks. It's quite nice to look at.

I hesistated purchasing this colour initially, as I thought it might be a dupe of Brand New Skates (which I already have - see comparison bottle pic above). Although they are a similar tone of grey, Brand New Skates is a tad darker and has gold flecks of glitter - and not as many flecks as Lucerne-tainly. So I find that the flecks are more prominant & you get a greater reflect and foiled effect with Lucerne-tainly. Also, I have found with the Swiss collection that the colours look so much better when applied on the nails. This colour looked a bit lacklustre in the bottle, but when applied, it looked amazing.

In terms of formula - I got good, even and opaque coverage with 2 coats. The formula of this is a bit better than recent collections, which have been a bit watery. And also the staying power of this was great - the glittery particles gripped well on the nail, but weren't difficult to remove with polish remover and then washing my hands well with soap and water.

Overall, this a great, unique colour - has a great reflect to it and I am really enjoying wearing it now in the final few weeks of the Australian winter. Looks awesome with my silver jewellery as well!

on 11/28/2010 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I don't usually wear glitters or shimmers on my fingernails, but I had this applied during a mani for something different since I had a fun special occasion coming up. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I do! I love greys for fall/winter as it is, and the shimmery glitter in this adds some funkiness to a chic colour. It's great for parties and nights-out.

There is a very subtle green sheen to this in certain light which I don't really like but it's not very common or noticeable in most lighting. It is very much a shimmery/glittery gun metal grey. It wasn't a pain in the ass to remove either so it's not 100% a glitter polish. All the beauty of glitter with none of the pain! It also lasted a very long time with extremely minimal tip wear. My sister and I usually share our nail polishes and don't buy the same one each, but I love this shade so much that I bought my own. I can't risk someone else having it when I'm craving to wear it! This will no doubt be making an appearance during holiday parties this year. Absolutely gorgeous! Would definitely buy again - I truly think this is one of my top 10 polishes: if I could only have/keep 10 shades, this would be one of them!

on 11/3/2013 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Oh my, another home run from my beloved OPI! This is a deep metallic gunmetal blue gray that is simply stunning. I'm obsessed with this and other colors like this, my other favorite from OPI being Coalest Day of the Year. On me this required 3 coats to give opaque even finish but, all coats dried evenly and quickly. This has more blue/green than blue and more platinum than silver but the final effect is edgy and elegant combined. What you see in the bottle is what you'll see on your nails. What I love most about this color is that it is equally at home with casual or very dressed m/u and clothes. Don't let this pass you by. Limited chipping on my nails. Buy this!

on 4/12/2013 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Yes you certainly do look marvelous :p this polish is amazing! It is a very unique colour... I have never seen anything quite like it... A gun metal/charcoal grey shimmer... With silver glitter and even fine green and pink glitter on closer inspection... Truly unique... Also the application is amazing! I usually make such a mess with dark colours but this one applies like a dream! So effortlessly and smoothly and EVENLY! Its also super easy to remove for a glitter polish! It also lasts forever! Around about a week with base and top coat. I would highly recommend this colour! I wore it last new years eve an received so many compliments on it :) and I have continued to wear it several times since :)

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I borrowed this from a friend, because I was getting tired of the nail polish colors I brought with me to study abroad. I'm studying abroad in a country that does not sell OPI (only fakes). So she generously let me try her nail polishes. I chose to try this one, because it was metallic and that is what is in for fall right now. When I was applying it I loved the way it easily could coat my nails with just one layer. For best results you should put two coats on. The color is gorgeous at night. Your nails will sparkle with small glitter particles. You just feel classy. I ordered this at drugstore.com because I wanted it so much.

on 11/23/2011 4:20:00 PM

Stunning gunmetal color with glitter. One of my favorite OPI polishes. Looks great on my skin!!! Would and will be buying again!!! Update... After trying numerous brands of grey sparkle polish this is still
my favorite! Not too light like most which seem too be like a light silver this is like a deep gunmetal and applies like a dream. Getting ready to buy my 3rd bottle! Love it!!!!!!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am a total Nail Polish Addict. I probably have 250+ bottles, so for me to say that this is hands down my favorite polish...is saying a lot!!!
Its a gorgeous dark shimmery, silver/gray. When it hits the light just right, its stunning!
I wear it all year round, but probably get most use out of it in the Winter! I love dark nails all the time, and although this isn't too dark it is still to die for!
I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. I think all ages can totally pull this one off

on 4/29/2011 5:11:00 PM

What it is: a slate / gunmetal gray nail polish.
- - -
Pros - long wearing and chip resistant. The brush evenly distributes the polish. Large bottle that will last years.
- - -
Cons - none
- - -
Side note - I usually don't like dark polishes, but this is an exception. The perfect 'not black' shade. This polish does have glitter in it but it isn't obnoxious or obvious, instead it gives a healthy shine look. Definitely a gunmetal / silverly pewter shade. Does require three coats to become opaque. One is sheer, two is alright, but three is the color of the bottle. A more affordable, easier to locate alternative to chanel's black pearl.

Popular Polishes